COVID-19/Coronavirus thread

caulfield12

17 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

So, if there was a lab leak that caused all of this, does that mean the virus is real? I’d rather go back to it being fake news. Less scary.

In any event, I’m going to run and grab a few cases of toilet paper from the grocery store before all the old people get up from their naps.

Don't forget the anti bacterial wipes!!

This is the gist of Rabbit's case, and the concerns about US funding/partnership and a possible cover-up or conspiracy.

By the way, I included a sinister looking picture...mask, cell phone conversation, PROOF!

•  

Researcher Tied to Wuhan Lab Thanked Fauci for Dismissing Lab-Leak Theory

Zachary Evans

·2 min read

ffe99033a6a21dbc755398c3ba44b334

Peter Daszak, a zoologist whose non-profit steered U.S. funding to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, thanked Dr. Anthony Fauci for pushing back on the theory that the coronavirus leaked from a lab, in an April 2020 email published as part of a FOIA request by Buzzfeed.

Daszak’s organization, the EcoHealth Alliance, funneled $3.4 million in grants from the National Institutes of Health to the controversial WIV (Wuhan Institute of Virology) to study bat coronaviruses between 2014 and 2019. While politicians and scientists in the U.S. have suggested that the novel coronavirus initially leaked from the WIV before spreading across the globe, Daszak has vehemently denied the allegation.

https://news.yahoo.com/researcher-tied-wuhan-lab-thanked-201433387.html

Of course, this was from the National Review, so caveat emptor.

This piece was originally published on PolitiFact.com on April 15, 2020.

The country’s top infectious disease expert is discouraging the use of a potential COVID-19 treatment because he could earn millions of dollars from a vaccine, at least, that’s according to a popular Facebook claim.

One post published by an anti-vaccine page on Sunday says Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, “stands to lose 100 million dollars” on a coronavirus vaccine from Bill Gates because he invested in it.

“If everyone can be healed with the Malaria drug and a Z pack, there will be no need for the vaccine if we could use drugs already on the market that helps heal 98 percent of the cornovirus (sic) patients,” reads the image. “That’s why he’s been so hesitant to put his seal of approval on this form of treatment that has shown to drastically improve hundreds of people’s symptoms.”

There are 70 potential COVID-19 vaccines in development, one of which was created by National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases scientists in partnership with Moderna, Inc. That vaccine is being manufactured by an organization that the Gates Foundation supports, but there’s no evidence that the agency or Fauci will directly profit from that support. And the Gates Foundation has pledged up to $60 million for vaccine development, not $100 million, as the post says.

Some studies have found that chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine could help treat coronavirus patients, but others have found no effect at all. Public health officials have urged caution due to the uncertainty and the adverse side effects of the drugs.

The Facebook post is inaccurate. We rate it False.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200416/fact-check-does-anthony-fauci-have-millions-invested-in-coronavirus-vaccine

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Still, the White House criticized the report as incomplete, while WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it wasn’t “extensive enough” and that the lab-leak theory needed more investigation. Other prominent Western scientists have urged that hypotheses about natural and laboratory spillovers be taken seriously until there is sufficient data to say otherwise.

While Biden’s move to publicly announce the virus probe appeared “purely political,” Tedros’s criticism of the WHO report is harder for China to dismiss “and it’s driving them crazy,” according to Christopher Johnson, a former senior China analyst at the Central Intelligence Agency who is now a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. Either way, he added, China is unlikely to allow anymore access that would shed further light on the origin.

“Finding a smoking gun on this would be nearly impossible, so the only way you could deescalate is to actually be talking to each other,” Johnson said. “Without that, the potential to inflame the relationship further is there.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/wuhan-lab-leak-theory-revival-110015939.html

4 hours ago, raBBit said:

If you're going to respond with the same tone, I am not going to respond anymore. You can brag that you got me I don't care. If you seriously wanted to understand, I answered your questions but I think we both know that's not what your post was about. You and I are subjected to different rules and given this post and others from you I realize that you don't respond to my posts because you want to have a conversation or hear a different view point. So if it's going to continue with more of the same, I am done responding.

All I am doing is speaking on the current event that is a result of an official government release as a result of the Freedom of Information Act. This release, among many other happenstances over the last ~16 months cast Mr. Fauci as someone who is either incompetent or consistently lying about significant matters. As an American, I am simply questioning why our government's highest paid employee is, in the best case scenario, completely incompetent. And if that's not the case, I would like to know what's causing him to have different public and private opinions and rotating, ever-evolving public opinions that change given the month, administration or "phase" of the virus. 

I don't understand why you respond to my posts so rudely and why you feel the corporate media entities and the highest paid government employee (a millionaire multiple times over) are in need of you defense? Why are you rude to a fellow American questioning them following the unveiling of their questionable behavior? Do you really think the billion dollar media companies deserve your fervor-filled defense?

Yawn.

Literally none of what you accused Dr Fauci of supposedly done has any merit. Based upon the knowledge of the disease, at the time it was known, it was communicated  correctly to the American public. At the same time, the scary-sounding "corporate media" had generally reported what was known, when it was known at the time. 

If anyone was "incompetent" in his response to the pandemic, it would have been the previous POTUS who disregarded the pandemic response template that his predecessor had put into place.

Insofar as your critique of the (sic) "corporate state media," it sounds rather underpants gnomey. It also sounds like your critique of "Mr Fauci:" exactly, Cui Bono? What does the scary-sounding "corporate state media" get out of deliberately telling lies? What does DOCTOR Fauci get out of whatever you're accusing him of having done. (Oddly enough, you haven't exactly elucidated what either Fauci or "the media" have done, and how they would benefit.)

What? Are they sipping snifters of brandy in front of a roaring fire in their lairs in their hilltop mansions, planning their takeover of the world, like a fucking cartoon villain?

Finally, I'm game to read new viewpoints, if they make any fucking sense. I politely asked you to tell us what crime do you accuse "the media" and "Mr Fauci" of having done. I politely asked you to explain exactly what these people would get, and how they would benefit from these illusory, vague "crimes" they supposedly committed. 

So far, you've swung and missed.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

4 hours ago, raBBit said:

Yikes...I am sure Fox has articles on this too but they didn't come up at the top of google. I don't know what oan is. Hopefully these sources and bits of reporting meet your preference.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/30/science/china-covid-origin-wuhan.html 

NYT 5/30/21 - U.S. experts press calls for China to allow deeper inquiries into the pandemic’s origins.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/us/politics/biden-coronavirus-origins.html

NYT 5/29/21 - Biden Orders Intelligence Inquiry Into Origins of Virus

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/26/facebook-ban-covid-man-made-491053

POLITICO 5/27/21 - Facebook no longer treating 'man-made' Covid as a crackpot idea

https://www.wsj.com/articles/intelligence-on-sick-staff-at-wuhan-lab-fuels-debate-on-covid-19-origin-11621796228

WSJ 5/23/21 - Intelligence on Sick Staff at Wuhan Lab Fuels Debate on Covid-19 Origin

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/26/democrats-covid-lab-leak-theory-490951

POLITICO 5/26/21 - Dems back growing calls for Congress to probe Covid lab leak theory

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-57268111

BBC 5/28/21 - Covid origin: Why the Wuhan lab-leak theory is being taken seriously

Thanks for including some links. However, none of them illustrate any potential conspiracy, nor any means for any of the purported conspirators to have benefitted in any way.

A big part of The Scientific Method is to use the information that is currently available, WHEN it is available. So, when it was thought that masks didn't work, Fauci didn't recco their use, for example. When it was shown to have some benefit, Fauci updated his recommendations. Like a doctor and public health official SHOULD.

At no point did Fauci communicate anything that was contrary to what was known about the disease at the time. And at no point did Fauci communicate things publicly that was contrary to the public interest. And most importantly, at no point did Fauci communicate anything that benefitted him over the well-being of the American public. And nor did "the media," as far as I've seen in these links you've shared.

Ya know who DID do all of the above? Mr. Hydroxychloroquine. Mr. Bleach injection. Mr. "One day, it'll all go away."

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

Is there any new evidence pointing to a lab leaker, or does the preponderance of evidence still strongly indicate natural zoonotic origins?  There's been lots of smoke in the media lately, but as far as I've seen, it's not been based on anything.

2 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Is there any new evidence pointing to a lab leaker, or does the preponderance of evidence still strongly indicate natural zoonotic origins?  There's been lots of smoke in the media lately, but as far as I've seen, it's not been based on anything.

“China will have destroyed proof of Wuhan coronavirus leak, says former MI6 chief”

Just more speculation with increasingly dramatic headlines...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-destroyed-proof-wuhan-coronavirus-130130269.html

“In the end it’s going to boil down to scientific evidence because the data is no longer available, unless some courageous Chinese individual, probably a scientist, comes forward.

“We have been through a period of extraordinary nativete in our relationship with China.

“Some of the things that were said by George Osborne and David Cameron about our relationship with China, how we were going to have this privileged position, I was staggered at the time by the sheer naivete that they could develop a relationship with China without understanding they were dealing with a communist dictatorship, and one that has its own strategic agenda.

This is a really important issue and has massive, far-reaching implications. If the outcome is likely to be that serious, which personally I think it will be, I can’t see China agreeing to pay reparations, and I’m not sure what our future relationship with China is going to be.”

Sir Richard said an inquiry into whether the virus leaked from a lab should not be left to the World Health Organisation (WHO) which has been criticised for failing to look rigorously into the issue.

7 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Thanks for including some links. However, none of them illustrate any potential conspiracy, nor any means for any of the purported conspirators to have benefitted in any way.

A big part of The Scientific Method is to use the information that is currently available, WHEN it is available. So, when it was thought that masks didn't work, Fauci didn't recco their use, for example. When it was shown to have some benefit, Fauci updated his recommendations. Like a doctor and public health official SHOULD.

At no point did Fauci communicate anything that was contrary to what was known about the disease at the time. And at no point did Fauci communicate things publicly that was contrary to the public interest. And most importantly, at no point did Fauci communicate anything that benefitted him over the well-being of the American public. And nor did "the media," as far as I've seen in these links you've shared.

Ya know who DID do all of the above? Mr. Hydroxychloroquine. Mr. Bleach injection. Mr. "One day, it'll all go away."

This isn't true, and I think Fauci should retire because he absolutely did do a number of "noble lies".

They were discouraging masks didn't work because they worried about supply chain, which is an example of things a lot of public health spokesman would do a lot this pandemic.

Gottlieb was 10x the communicator during the pandemic, despite being on the board for a company that actually stood to benefit which is quite disappointing. 

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

This isn't true, and I think Fauci should retire because he absolutely did do a number of "noble lies".

They were discouraging masks didn't work because they worried about supply chain, which is an example of things a lot of public health spokesman would do a lot this pandemic.

Gottlieb was 10x the communicator during the pandemic, despite being on the board for a company that actually stood to benefit which is quite disappointing. 

How many Americans could even identify Gottlieb without being obsessive CNN watchers?

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How many Americans could even identify Gottlieb without being obsessive CNN watchers?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I would go Sanjay Gupta/Anderson Cooper, Laurie Garrett, Dr. Michael Osterholm, Dr. Leana Wen...Tom Frieden, Dr. Zeke Emanuel, Ron Klain.

cool stuff cool stuff.

I don't know what your point is, obviously yes there are other people in the world and Gottlieb was as prominent as any of those people you mentioned, but the point is someone in fauci's position should have the best data and the team available to be the best communicator and he made a number of really bad mistakes and hopefully in the review of the pandemic we have some thought around what communications and responsibility we provide public health officials and which are better handled by different departments.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

cool stuff cool stuff.

I don't know what your point is, obviously yes there are other people in the world and Gottlieb was as prominent as any of those people you mentioned, but the point is someone in fauci's position should have the best data and the team available to be the best communicator and he made a number of really bad mistakes and hopefully in the review of the pandemic we have some thought around what communications and responsibility we provide public health officials and which are better handled by different departments.

What would you have done if you were aware there was a critical lack of PPE...that 90% of it was coming from, China, but they originally needed all of it for themselves (see vaccine distribution globally today), that we were months away from ramping up the ability to manufacture at scale...and you had a boss completely against masks?

You had to believe the first priority was protecting doctors and nurses with that PPE, yes?

Fauci had an impossible task, which was threading the needle between Trump, Dr. Deborah Birx, and Atlas...won’t even call him a medical expert.

Isn’t it the same argument that Rick Hahn should have quit as GM when he was forced to take on TLR not only as manager but basically giving up control on coaches and acquisition control/roster management?

Has Hahn maintained the same leadership credibility as 80 year old Fauci?

His success over numerous presidents/administrations, Dem and GOP, goes to his ability to be a chameleon...adapting between the politics of science intersecting with 30-35% of the country rejecting everything that came out of his mouth simply because he became much more trusted and popular on this subject than Trump himself...hence, the cancellation of briefings where Fauci could stand out front and center as the media superstar and America’s Grandfather, lol. 

11 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What would you have done if you were aware there was a critical lack of PPE...that 90% of it was coming from, China, but they originally needed all of it for themselves (see vaccine distribution globally today), that we were months away from ramping up the ability to manufacture at scale...and you had a boss completely against masks?

You had to believe the first priority was protecting doctors and nurses with that PPE, yes?

Fauci had an impossible task, which was threading the needle between Trump, Dr. Deborah Birx, and Atlas...won’t even call him a medical expert.

Isn’t it the same argument that Rick Hahn should have quit as GM when he was forced to take on TLR not only as manager but basically giving up control on coaches and acquisition control/roster management?

Has Hahn maintained the same leadership credibility as 80 year old Fauci?

His success over numerous presidents/administrations, Dem and GOP, goes to his ability to be a chameleon...adapting between the politics of science intersecting with 30-35% of the country rejecting everything that came out of his mouth simply because he became much more trusted and popular on this subject than Trump himself...hence, the cancellation of briefings where Fauci could stand out front and center as the media superstar and America’s Grandfather, lol. 

Was not an impossible task, and lying didn’t solve the shortage and communicating accurately could have led to the many private businesses making cloth masks to do it earlier. 

Things on my mind today in the wake of the recent news:

What do conservatives hope to accomplish by showing evidence that the Wuhan lab leak theory was being considered and I guess in their minds, ignored?

What are they implying that Fauci did with the grant his department provided?

Is it being suggested that the lab leak theory was being dismissed to harm Trump’s chances of re-election?

Do people point out media bias to say I told you show or show how they perceive the media to be biased against conservative viewpoints? What is their goal?

Is it possible for scientists to update their findings when new information has become available and facts are clear (especially with how reliable China is)?

Is it also possible for readers to read something and think to read other websites for different perspectives to get a sense of the larger picture?

Edited by The Beast

11 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Fauci's public communications have been pretty terrible from the start of this.

They have been, some of them heavily influenced by the previous administration and some of them entirely of his own doing.  Either way he should probably step away.   Not that he will

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Was not an impossible task, and lying didn’t solve the shortage and communicating accurately could have led to the many private businesses making cloth masks to do it earlier. 

China is swamping the world market with masks at 1 cent or less than a cent...doesn’t care about losing money if it wipes out US industries, making the country largely reliant on the Chinese again.  That fact isn’t going away, either from April 2020 or June, 2021.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/29/health/us-china-mask-production.html

No way America was ready...the strategic reserve was depleted and Trump hemmed and hawed over invoking the Defense Production Act with companies like 3M but largely didn’t push corporations for political/strategic reasons.

Plus, we were by then in the middle of our own crisis, like India’s SII (70% of world vaccine production) is experiencing now.  Catching up with mask manufacturing was always going to be a challenge, then you have the controversial role intervening in these markets let by Kushner and even military leaders like Real Admiral Brett Giroir.

Fauci made statements on CNN or NPR or whatever...then he was forced to give completely different or tempered remarks to pacify Trump and keep him from losing it.

Let’s not forget the first person to speak out, Dr. Nancy Messonier of the CDC, getting so far out in front with her warnings the CDC and Redfield were never serious players, especially after the lab test kit debacle. HHS was even worse, arguably.

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

China is swamping the world market with masks at 1 cent or less than a cent...doesn’t care about losing money if it wipes out US industries, making the country largely reliant on the Chinese again.  That fact isn’t going away, either from April 2020 or June, 2021.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/29/health/us-china-mask-production.html

No way America was ready...the strategic reserve was depleted and Trump hemmed and hawed over invoking the Defense Production Act with companies like 3M but largely didn’t push corporations for political/strategic reasons.

Plus, we were by then in the middle of our own crisis, like India’s SII (70% of world vaccine production) is experiencing now.  Catching up with mask manufacturing was always going to be a challenge, then you have the controversial role intervening in these markets let by Kushner and even military leaders like Real Admiral Brett Giroir.

Fauci made statements on CNN or NPR or whatever...then he was forced to give completely different or tempered remarks to pacify Trump and keep him from losing it.

Let’s not forget the first person to speak out, Dr. Nancy Messonier of the CDC, getting so far out in front with her warnings the CDC and Redfield were never serious players, especially after the lab test kit debacle. HHS was even worse, arguably.

Fauci's job isn't to protect the economic standing of the American manufacturing industry, and being reliant on China for cheap goods isn't near the problem that, you know, a deadly pandemic that was sweeping through the country is/was.

It doesn't matter if it was ready, lying about the role low-grade masks could play in stopping spread did not solve the manufacturing problem. When the word started getting out through non-official channels, church groups and private groups started sewing cloth masks, that obviously could have happened in february and does not effect anything.

Their mask communication likely exacerbated the effects on the American meatpacking industry by telling their workers masks didn't help them while they were forced to work. The supply issue wasn't a problem solved by Fauci's misleading communication, so there is no reason to defend it. Americans in March / April 2020 were in fact very deferential to the needs of medical workers, so saying "we need all the N-95 and surgical masks for medical workers and first responders, but if you are in need of going to work or public wearing a cloth mask can help us stop the spread". 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

Fauci's job isn't to protect the economic standing of the American manufacturing industry, and being reliant on China for cheap goods isn't near the problem that, you know, a deadly pandemic that was sweeping through the country is/was.

It doesn't matter if it was ready, lying about the role low-grade masks could play in stopping spread did not solve the manufacturing problem. When the word started getting out through non-official channels, church groups and private groups started sewing cloth masks, that obviously could have happened in february and does not effect anything.

Their mask communication likely exacerbated the effects on the American meatpacking industry by telling their workers masks didn't help them while they were forced to work. The supply issue wasn't a problem solved by Fauci's misleading communication, so there is no reason to defend it. Americans in March / April 2020 were in fact very deferential to the needs of medical workers, so saying "we need all the N-95 and surgical masks for medical workers and first responders, but if you are in need of going to work or public wearing a cloth mask can help us stop the spread". 

I really believe a large amount of how Fauci messaged during the early days of the pandemic was a balancing act between getting as much truth out there as possible, and doing everything he needed to do to NOT get fired by Trump, so that he wasn't replaced by another TrumpBot that would have no problem parroting all of the Trump lies which were told early on, including just repeating per batum Chinese propaganda on this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really believe a large amount of how Fauci messaged during the early days of the pandemic was a balancing act between getting as much truth out there as possible, and doing everything he needed to do to NOT get fired by Trump, so that he wasn't replaced by another TrumpBot that would have no problem parroting all of the Trump lies which were told early on, including just repeating per batum Chinese propaganda on this.

I think that applies to a lot of stuff, but I think there was a real problem of western public health communications (so, broader than US) on masks (the attributing of asian mask-practice as spiritual, etc) and their just unbelievably slow adoption of communicating it being airborne. It is really incredibly frustrating that they were willing to apply logic to hand-washing of "this is typically how virus' spread so we are providing strict hand washing and hygiene guidance" but for airborne there was good data that made it likely if not proven that airborne was a key vector, but they stuck to the heavy-droplet 6 ft rule. Because airborne wasn't proven.

And why? Because it was their opinion that Americans would adopt that easier, instead of giving them accurate guidance. 

Now, I assume that quarantine would be a no-go in trump admin and cause revolt, but it was also a no-go in UK and many european countries. But none really tried aside from travel. So it may not all be Fauci's fault, but he is the guy that has been there for a while and these are key issues that caused them to fail, and I don't see him being the driver of change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If your theory is correct it still doesn't excuse Fauci. His job was to serve the American people. If he was fired for telling the truth that's a noble way to go out. Your concern of Trump lying shouldn't take precedent over Fauci actually lying. It's remarkable the excuses people will make for Fauci. Even when he deliberately and purposely lies to the public, it is still Trump's fault. The one thing that is Trump's fault for sure here is him not firing Fauci early in this mess. Fauci was in no way acting in a way to avoid getting fired by Trump - it's quite the opposite. He would roll his eyes behind Trump when Trump spoke and publicly make opinions that were in contrast to Trump's. This is why Trump put Pence in charge of the COVID stuff early because the media and Fauci and were trying to make it all about Trump and make COVID political. This isn't about Trump (he's gone) - it's about Fauci. Blaming Trump for everything is the way to make sure nothing gets fixed. Fauci should be held accountable not excused because orange man could be bad if he didn't lie. Fauci lied, there's evidence, he's admitted to it and for whatever reason, the media supported all of his lies for a long time. It's very curious. Fauci's been in his position for decades. He's not the person to make sure this doesn't happen again. The country needs accountability. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 1

Just now, raBBit said:

If your theory is correct it still doesn't excuse Fauci. His job was to serve the American people. If he was fired for telling the truth that's a noble way to go out. Your concern of Trump lying shouldn't take precedent over Fauci actually lying. It's remarkable the excuses people will make for Fauci. Even when he deliberately and purposely lies to the public, it is still Trump's fault. The one thing that is Trump's fault for sure here is him not firing Fauci early in this mess. Fauci was in no way acting in a way to avoid getting fired by Trump - it's quite the opposite. He would roll his eyes behind Trump when Trump spoke and publicly make opinions that were in contrast to Trump's. This isn't about Trump. Blaming Trump for everything is the way to make sure nothing gets fixed. Fauci should be held accountable not excused because orange man could be bad if he didn't lie. Fauci lied, there's evidence, he's admitted to it and for whatever reason, the media supported all of his lies for a long time. It's very curious. He's been in his position for decades. He's not the person to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

It is a decision of consciousness that pretty much every official who left the Trump administration talked about in a balancing act of how effectively could they do the job versus how much worse would the next person be.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is a decision of consciousness that pretty much every official who left the Trump administration talked about in a balancing act of how effectively could they do the job versus how much worse would the next person be.

I'd be delighted to find out if the next person up could be worse than Fauci. And if so, how. Trump is gone. Fauci is not. Not that you can't blame Trump, what is the argument for Fauci's continuing on?