2021 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

9 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Here's the deal with Montgomery.  If Indiana doesn't fire their basketball coach he's not signing to play baseball.  He's going to Indiana to be a basketball player and part time baseball player. 

There's a very important question teams ask about a possibe draft picks desire to play baseball: A) Does he like it B) Does he love it C) Does he live it.

I would have to answer Montgomery likes it and that's a huge red flag for a guy I'm about to give $3M. I think it will be a blessing if someone takes him before the Sox.  The kid loves basketball.  

Is this a kid trying to force his way down to a preferred team?

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Drunk or mad?

I mean it is weird info. This guy isn’t Will Taylor and basketball isn’t football. If he loved playing basketball so much wouldn’t he want more of an opportunity than being a preferred walk-on at IU? He won’t see the court for 3 years.

6 hours ago, bmags said:

I mean it is weird info. This guy isn’t Will Taylor and basketball isn’t football. If he loved playing basketball so much wouldn’t he want more of an opportunity than being a preferred walk-on at IU? He won’t see the court for 3 years.

Are you asking me why an Indiana kid who loves playing basketball wanted to go to the University of Indiana to play basketball?

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Are you asking me why an Indiana kid who loves playing basketball wanted to go to the University of Indiana to play basketball?

I’m asking if IU basketball had offered him a scholarship, would he have quit baseball.

Because everything I’ve read from him sure seems like a kid who chose baseball but is a multi sport athlete that wants the opportunity to keep playing. I’m sure playing baseball and basketball at your home state program is pretty exciting.

If he was really into like theatre or something I’d care more, but it’s sport. People that competitive will channel it.

6 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Why are so many of us big on Montgomery/think he's our pick...Still very early in the grand scheme

Big media is on it for a reason. I heard that they loved Montgomery like 12 weeks ago. It seemed like a reach at the time. Shirley loves Indiana guys. The kid is transitioning to baseball full time. He's 19 which is an issue for lots of teams but the clubs who like him think the Corey Seager comps are legit and most of those teams believe he can stay at shortstop. Also, it's not that early. These teams wish that they could've drafted already. The amateur scouts are already scouting for next year due to the calendar change that nobody really wanted other than MLB. 

Edited by Y2Jimmy0
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’m asking if IU basketball had offered him a scholarship, would he have quit baseball.

Because everything I’ve read from him sure seems like a kid who chose baseball but is a multi sport athlete that wants the opportunity to keep playing. I’m sure playing baseball and basketball at your home state program is pretty exciting.

If he was really into like theatre or something I’d care more, but it’s sport. People that competitive will channel it.

He was always going to play both but with the timing of the two sports he would miss the beginning of the baseball season and of course all the practice/training time before the season. That would have made him a basketball player first and baseball player second. 

This is a makeup question. Does he love baseball or is it just something he's good at playing?  That's a question a team better be damn sure about before they choose him because baseball is a grind.  You have to love it. That's not easy to channel.   

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He was always going to play both but with the timing of the two sports he would miss the beginning of the baseball season and of course all the practice/training time before the season. That would have made him a basketball player first and baseball player second. 

This is a makeup question. Does he love baseball or is it just something he's good at playing?  That's a question a team better be damn sure about before they choose him because baseball is a grind.  You have to love it. That's not easy to channel.   

And he chose to get a shitty baseball scholarship over a D1 basketball scholarship that likely would have made him quit baseball. I don’t know if any scholarship basketball players in D1 playing baseball. Pat Connaughton was only one I can remember, and he went to the Irish for basketball but only if the let him play baseball.

This bias against multi sport athletes is tired. It is so hard to be a D1 athlete, to try to be a multi sport one doesn’t make me think he can’t grind.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

And he chose to get a shitty baseball scholarship over a D1 basketball scholarship that likely would have made him quit baseball. I don’t know if any scholarship basketball players in D1 playing baseball. Pat Connaughton was only one I can remember, and he went to the Irish for basketball but only if the let him play baseball.

This bias against multi sport athletes is tired. It is so hard to be a D1 athlete, to try to be a multi sport one doesn’t make me think he can’t grind.

Bias against multi-sport athletes?? Ok so you're just on a soapbox here.  Got it.  

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Bias against multi-sport athletes?? Ok so you're just on a soapbox here.  Got it.  

No, no please continue how the player going to Indiana as a walk on for basketball is basketball crazy and needs to commit to one sport. Completely unique stance no multi sport athlete hears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pipeline's latest.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-30-2021?t=mlb-draft-coverage

22. White Sox: Jud Fabian, OF, Florida
Fabian’s tools are undeniable, though the swing-and-miss concerns some. His name is coming up more with both Chicago teams, but if the White Sox don’t want him, they could look at the next group of high school bats like Wes Kath or Payton Stovall.

Colson Montgomery goes to the Cubs.

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Pipeline's latest.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-30-2021?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Colson Montgomery goes to the Cubs.

If the Sox passed on Harry Ford, Gavin Williams, Wes Kath and Peyton Stovall to select Jud Fabian everyone here should be furious. I would be if that happens. 

• Like 2

22. Chicago White Sox
Pick: Colson Montgomery, SS, Southridge HS (IN)

Montgomery’s name gained steam late in the year when he actually started playing and he went from in the mix with Anaheim in round two, to the comp round, to here, and now is mentioned as high as the Mets pick at 10. We also have the ChiSox on Arizona high school infielder Wes Kath.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0-3/

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think the scouting department wants to go prep-prep and then load up on college arms throughout. I'm just not sure what KW and Hahn ultimately do when impact college pitching is sitting there instead. 

I dunno.

I get that the draftniks around here prefer prep players. However, given that this org is in their competitive window, I think I'd rather try to find talent that can get to MLB quickly, either as pieces to use here, or as trade ammo. I dont think that the current competitive window matches up well with drafting prep players, and then maybe waiting a few years for them to mature. 

There already will be a vacancy or two in the rotation next season. And even if that means "promoting" Kopech to the rotation, that leaves a big hole in the pen. At the same time, other parts of this team are aging, even as the team is right now trying to win.

To me, that means maybe this org should target college players, be they position players or arms. (Shrugs)

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

19 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dunno.

I get that the draft is around here prefer prep players. However, given that this org is in their competitive window, I think I'd rather try to find talent that can get to MLB quickly, either as pieces to use here, or as trade ammo. I dont think that the current competitive window matches up well with drafting prep players, and then maybe waiting a few years for them to mature. 

There already will be a vacancy or two in the rotation next season. And even if that means "promoting" Kopech to the rotation, that leaves a big hole in the pen. At the same time, other parts of this team are aging, even as the team is right now trying to win.

To me, that means maybe this org should target college players, be they position players or arms. (Shrugs)

I might be alone in this, but I've liked the past two years with targeting fast-rising college players followed by high ceiling prep player. Would have been nice if that was the 2018 strategy with Joe Gray or Alek Thomas instead of Steele Walker, but that's firmly in the past and has been litigated 1000 times.

20 minutes ago, Quin said:

I might be alone in this, but I've liked the past two years with targeting fast-rising college players followed by high ceiling prep player. Would have been nice if that was the 2018 strategy with Joe Gray or Alek Thomas instead of Steele Walker, but that's firmly in the past and has been litigated 1000 times.

Well, I get that were supposed to be happy that recent drafts have yielded role players. And yes, getting role players out of the draft is a big improvement over getting literally nothing out of drafts. But I'd like more than that. I think that finding a cromulent role player in a draft should be a bare minimum, not some reason to celebrate.

That said, given where we are in the window, I agree that going the college route early to try to get quick returns on drafts is the way I'd go.

58 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dunno.

I get that the draftniks around here prefer prep players. However, given that this org is in their competitive window, I think I'd rather try to find talent that can get to MLB quickly, either as pieces to use here, or as trade ammo. I dont think that the current competitive window matches up well with drafting prep players, and then maybe waiting a few years for them to mature. 

Nah it’s imperative to get younger. Those are the guys that other teams want in trades to improve the big league team. The front office is finding that out first hand right now. Younger players have more value. With that being said, if an impact starting pitcher falls to you, they have to consider it at 22. 

35 minutes ago, Quin said:

It might be tough to do with the smaller pool. If they go slot in round 1, they’ll need to punt 7-10 to go overslot at 57. 

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I dunno.

I think their philosophy is pretty obvious.  They think they have the majority of the talent they need for the next few years here.  What they are trying to set up for is to have a second wave of talent arriving when guys start to hit free agency or potentially fade away.

34 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Nah it’s imperative to get younger. Those are the guys that other teams want in trades to improve the big league team. The front office is finding that out first hand right now. Younger players have more value. With that being said, if an impact starting pitcher falls to you, they have to consider it at 22. 

Well, I'll concede that this is hard to adjudicate, given the lack of a 2020 MiLB season. But, think of a prep kid like Gladney. He ain't helping this year's team, or next year's team. And no other org will trade anything we can use NOW for a kid like him that will need YEARS to develop into anything. 

OTOH, a faster climber could help during this window, by being a piece to trade away. While I'd like the system to get younger, I don't think this org has the luxury of time for prep players to develop, at least right now.

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think their philosophy is pretty obvious.  They think they have the majority of the talent they need for the next few years here.  What they are trying to set up for is to have a second wave of talent arriving when guys start to hit free agency or potentially fade away.

Given whats leaving via FA in the nearer term, and a questionable level of talent throughout the system, I'm thinking whoever they draft will help more by being a trade piece.

More succinctly, the system looks like its pretty devoid of potential impact. Most/all of it is already here, IMO. More likely, whatever 2nd wave that'll come into the 26 man will probably come from other orgs.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

6 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Well, I'll concede that this is hard to adjudicate, given the lack of a 2020 MiLB season. But, think of a prep kid like Gladney. He ain't helping this year's team, or next year's team. And no other org will trade anything we can use NOW for a kid like him that will need YEARS to develop into anything. 

OTOH, a faster climber could help during this window, by being a piece to trade away. While I'd like the system to get younger, I don't think this org has the luxury of time for prep players to develop, at least right now.

Given whats leaving via FA in the nearer term, and a questionable level of talent throughout the system, I'm thinking whoever they draft will help more by being a trade piece.

More succinctly, the system looks like its pretty devoid of potential impact. Most/all of it is already here, IMO. More likely, whatever 2nd wave that'll come into the 26 man will probably come from other orgs.

Rebuilding teams won’t trade major league players for young prospects? What? What did the Padres just trade for Yu Darvish? 

Gladney was a 16th round pick. If we traded him for a major league player two years later that would be incredible and show the value of younger prospects with control and upside.

• Like 1