2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Good for you dude; I had a best friend who died in Afghanistan. He signed up for the National Guard under the premise they would help him pay for school. He was told he would not be shipped off to war by his recruiter and that it was a way to pay for an education and gain some discipline and experience.

He was shipped out 12 months later, and died 3 weeks after. Spare me your nonsense.

Dude, I'd like to have a civil conversation, but you can spare me that bullshit, actually.

Sorry about your friend. Genuinely. The guy who slept in the bunk next to me at boot camp died in Afghanistan a week after his daughter was born. They "met" via Skype and then he was gone. When I was down range, we pulled the body of a KIA out of a creek five days after he went missing in an IED belt. I'll remember that day for the rest of my life.

Your friend signed up. Shipping out was always possibility. I met a couple of guys over the years who didn't want to deploy, but when they signed up, that was a risk they were taking. People are welcome to sign up for the health benefits and education and so forth, but that's the risk.

1 minute ago, Dallas Kong said:

Dude, I'd like to have a civil conversation, but you can spare me that bullshit, actually.

Sorry about your friend. Genuinely. The guy who slept in the bunk next to me at boot camp died in Afghanistan a week after his daughter was born. They "met" via Skype and then he was gone. When I was down range, we pulled the body of a KIA out of a creek five days after he went missing in an IED belt. I'll remember that day for the rest of my life.

Your friend signed up. Shipping out was always possibility. I met a couple of guys over the years who didn't want to deploy, but when they signed up, that was a risk they were taking. People are welcome to sign up for the health benefits and education and so forth, but that's the risk.

They signed up under the premise of protecting the countries freedoms pal, not under the guise of enriching the 1% via resources and oil. There were no WMD's in Iraq. They went to war on a lie that revolved solely around Oil. No one signed up to protect fossil fuels. That is not stated by a single military recruiter.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I would still want you helped even if you don't think it's important.   “A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members.”

We are not all dealt the same cards and I don't know how people ended up in certain situations but I believe we have a duty to help our fellow man regardless.

I respect your opinion but disagree. I hope if I were in such dire straits, I would be true enough to my principles to refuse such help. Either way, have a nice day.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They signed up under the premise of protecting the countries freedoms pal, not under the guise of enriching the 1% via resources and oil. There were no WMD's in Iraq. They went to war on a lie that revolved solely around Oil. No one signed up to protect fossil fuels. That is not stated by a single military recruiter.

Operation Avarice recovered hundreds of Iraqi chemical weapons in 2005. So that's wrong. And Afghanistan had nothing to do with oil at all. Neither did Iraq, for that matter. Trump idiotically suggesting pilfering oil supplies in the area and was laughed at for it. That's not why our forces were there and you know it.

I'm out. Have a nice day.

Didn't think there was a single person out there who would still defend the Iraq war, but we found one.

There were no WMD's, please stop pushing a lie that has been debunked over and over and over.

And the war on terror was another meaningless war to enrich defense contractors and increase military funding. Unless you think somehow we have accomplished something with that war that has destabilized the region further, created mass fractions, and caused even more civil war and unrest while killing millions of innocent people.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Like I told somone, helluva choice, to re-elect the crazy man we have now or elect the guy w dementia. Politics in America

I doubt the media will let Trump get re-elected. So back to the established life long politician for better or worse

This is one of the dumbest tropes to emerge from this election.  Biden is a stutterer.  Sometimes the guy has to take a second to translate his thoughts into formed words so that they come out without a stutter, because that process takes longer for him than most people.  It is an intentional technique designed to reduce stuttering.  The fact the President has turned it into an issue should be enough to disqualify him from the highest office in the land.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dallas Kong said:

I was a soldier and I fought in one of those "meaningless" wars. Nobody forced me to do that. We can agree to disagree on everything else, but please don't talk about soldiers like they were victims of some nefarious plot. We knew what we were getting into.

This is also a great unintentional side point.  I am sure you noticed the demographics of the people who get to fight the wars.  Keeping enough of American poor and without opportunities keeps a ready supply of people who see themselves as having no other options but to take the military route.

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Didn't think there was a single person out there who would still defend the Iraq war, but we found one.

There were no WMD's, please stop pushing a lie that has been debunked over and over and over.

And the war on terror was another meaningless war to enrich defense contractors and increase military funding. Unless you think somehow we have accomplished something with that war that has destabilized the region further, created mass fractions, and caused even more civil war and unrest while killing millions of innocent people.

ROFL. You’re wrong about WMDs as I already pointed out. Your last part is conspiratorial lunacy- we know why Afghanistan occurred. We watched it on TV. Even without that atrocity, it was righteous to pull the Afghan people away from the grips of the Taliban. The area was already fractionalized and always has been, but we didn’t need to let that reign of terror continue.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is one of the dumbest tropes to emerge from this election.  Biden is a stutterer.  Sometimes the guy has to take a second to translate his thoughts into formed words so that they come out without a stutter, because that process takes longer for him than most people.  It is an intentional technique designed to reduce stuttering.  The fact the President has turned it into an issue should be enough to disqualify him from the highest office in the land.

Do you read your own posts? You are such a Biden supporter you won't even consider dementia possibility? Your last sentence is so homer it's unbelievable. This is big boy politics and Joe has said some things that would make one think he could have some mental capacity problems. p.s. I made the decision today to watch no coverage of the election. I'm just hoping for the best. I fully expect Joe/Harris to win and I contratulate them if that, as expected, is the case.

p.s. I will read some of the coverage off my phone on my regular checks of Fox and CNN. I love to see the two polar opposite takes.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is also a great unintentional side point.  I am sure you noticed the demographics of the people who get to fight the wars.  Keeping enough of American poor and without opportunities keeps a ready supply of people who see themselves as having no other options but to take the military route.

I was an infantryman so if anybody feels like they have no other options, they probably don’t go that direction. The people I served with were for the most part enthusiastic about our role in the world and happy to be the tip of the spear.

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ray, time to talk about the election.  I don't agree with a lot of his points either but we aren't going to agree, it's his opinion.  Let it be now

Fair enough Kyle, but agreeing to disagree implies some gray area of fact to me; there's no gray areas here. Reality has happened, and pushing incorrect intelligence information that cost us the lives of thousands of innocent Americans, and millions of innocent people in the Middle East, isn't an opinion as much as it's a misinformation campaign to support a cause that is dangerous and harmful.

That said, I am getting off lunch in about 5 minutes so the thread won't be cluttered for long and I'll respectfully bow out to allow you guys to continue on with your cordial conversation.

BTW, democrats are every bit as complicit in this wealth gap divide over the past fifty years if that makes people feel less attacked ha.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not only that but the guy who supposedly has all his marbles has called his new bomb hydrosonic many times. That's a toothbrush. Got one of his biggest fan boys names wrong at a rally, Matt Gaetz, and the other day was complaining because Bernie hasn't released his Supreme Court list. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Do you read your own posts? You are such a Biden supporter you won't even consider dementia possibility? Your last sentence is so homer it's unbelievable. This is big boy politics and Joe has said some things that would make one think he could have some mental capacity problems. p.s. I made the decision today to watch no coverage of the election. I'm just hoping for the best. I fully expect Joe/Harris to win and I contratulate them if that, as expected, is the case.

p.s. I will read some of the coverage off my phone on my regular checks of Fox and CNN. I love to see the two polar opposite takes.

Well then that makes two of them. 

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Honestly?  I am the furthest thing from a Biden supporter.  I believe that Donald Trump is such a danger to this country that I am willing to support Biden despite all of his baggage and things I disagree with.  The funny thing, the President himself has said a multitude more of irrational and stupid things, why isn't anyone questions his mental capacity?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Honestly?  I am the furthest thing from a Biden supporter.  I believe that Donald Trump is such a danger to this country that I am willing to support Biden despite all of his baggage and things I disagree with.  The funny thing, the President himself has said a multitude more of irrational and stupid things, why isn't anyone questions his mental capacity?

Hamberders, covefe, slurring anonymous... yeah if you make that argument for one you make it for both.  Otherwise you're just a partisan hack.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Fair enough. Not sure why Trump hasn't faced the dementia card yet. I think it's because he gets out so much and speaks so much at rallies, etc. It's pretty apparent he's not afraid to speak, speak, speak while Joe has been bottled up in the basement so to speak.

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Fair enough. Not sure why Trump hasn't faced the dementia card yet. I think it's because he gets out so much and speaks so much at rallies, etc. It's pretty apparent he's not afraid to speak, speak, speak while Joe has been bottled up in the basement so to speak.

The dementia card was played by the Trump campaign. Why is everything they tell you gospel? Joe was in his basement for a while following Trump's CDC guidelines. He has been out giving speeches with people in cars. Socially distancing. Being responsible. Not having superspreader events. 

The people that go to Trump rallies are voting for him anyway. These were just to feed his ego, and get some of his supporters sick and dead.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The dementia card was played by the Trump campaign. Why is everything they tell you gospel?

I've seen the comments by Joe myself, have you? Fox played the dementia card way before Trump grabbed it. I'm praying Joe is OK cause I'm one of those kooks not discounting a theory that he'll be stepping down 3-6 months into his tenure as president and Kamala will have 7.5 years of presidency. UNLESS Pelosi and Co. want AOC who will be old nuff to run in 2024. That's my take. So I do think for myself not just Trump campaign.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Fox news? You must be hopped up on hydroxychloroquine

I won't be watching any more coverage of politics. I am gracious and will contratulate Joe and hope for the best. I will check Fox and CNN on my phone to see what they are covering. No talking heads. I'm hooked on Stern so I don't listen to Rush anymore. Stern is a big anti Trump guy so it shows I am open minded. I love Stern show and listen to it exclusively in the car.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

One thing I think is different this time, at least anecdotally, is the left (The actual left, not the Tucker Carlson anyone who doesn't vote for Trump left) seems to recognize the stakes and is seemingly getting in line behind a guy they can't stand. That was not the case last time around. 

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

The argument hasn't changed since the founding fathers initiated it.  They didn't want highly populated States having all the power while dictating to smaller states.  An example is the $15.00 minimum wage being pushed by the liberals as if there is no difference between New York and Iowa.  That shouldn't be a National issue at all.  The liberals simply use it in their bag of free stuff to attract voters.  Same reason every State gets two Senators.  Heavily populated states like California, New York, and Texas get more electoral votes and for that matter more house seats than the smaller states.  The big States are given a heavily weighted advantage in national elections and creating laws.  However, the founding fathers in their wisdom saw to it that all states have a voice in who leads the country.

This was not the original justification and the modern EC functions nothing like it originally did, fwiw.