2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

6 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Perhaps mid-18th century political ideology and formulations aren't actually the best, though? It was a system devised when the only people with a voice were propertied white men who were interested in keeping power to themselves.

You can still have a federal system with lots of power devolved to the states while not having archaic structures like the Electoral College. Germany manages pretty well.

My concern is eliminating the electoral college and the citizens in about 20 states become important and states like mine become even more important. 

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And apparently it is JUST pollsters, because they have zero problems telling anyone else.

Everyone else:  Hey let's have a discussion about the election polls

Trump voters: HELP HELP I AM BEING REPRESSED!

Polling was absolutely broken and riddled with bias; I'm not going to say it was a silent majority because that is nonsense, but their complete whiff on Trump and on Brexit are prime examples that polling was not reaching the general audience in the way they believed.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, poppysox said:

What hypocrisy?  Democrats did not and do not control the Senate.

The refusal to allow a confirmation by a president at the end of their term of a SC nominee, but rush ACB in as quickly as possible at the end of Trump's term.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

What hypocrisy?  Democrats did not and do not control the Senate.

Lindsay said to roll the tape if he tried to confirm anything. It was rolled. No shame. I am sure you will fully understand if Dems win total control, pack the court, and put Hillary on there just for shits and giggles, and a show of power. 

53 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

I’m open to a public option, but it’s not something I think a ton about.

I do fear excessive government control of any aspect of our lives. Two names that come to mind in healthcare are Charlie Gard and Alice Evans. Both were British infants who had rare and lethal diseases. Parents wanted to take them elsewhere for experimental treatments but the Brit hospitals took them to court to have their ability to move their own children denied. The hospitals won and both children passed away.

That comes off as incredibly unjust to me, but in a socialized system more groups would get a say than just those patient and his/her loved one. If M4A was enacted here, would it lead to cases of this sort?

Either way, I want what’s best for America. If universal healthcare would save Americans money and produce a better result while respecting people’s freedom of choice, I’d be open to it.

I don't think any politicians in the US are agitating for a fully nationally health care system like the UK's NHS.

But today, those same decisions on care are made by your insurance company's actuarial department based on profitability. I won't claim to know the absolute best version of universal health care, but I'm very confident the current system isn't it.

Just now, mqr said:

I haven't answered my phone in about 5 years

Every since work from home started, I have my office phone forwarded to my cell, so I am not really sure on some calls. So far the IRS and Federal Reserve both have warrants for my arrest. Jaime Dimon wants to lower my credit card rates, my "electric provider" wants to give me a discount if I just hold on, and an offer to extend my car warranty comes in daily, even though the car I drive is in my wife's name. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, you must not watch the President at all.  He attacks anyone and everyone.  Remember those cute nicknames he has for everyone?  Why is that different?

I agree that Trump can step over the line with the Sleepy Joe and Pocahontas stuff.  He would be better off to simply accuse Biden of treason and leave the name-calling out of it.  I guess after enduring a fake impeachment he has taken off the kid gloves.  When you make accusations of rape you simply have gone beyond political rhetoric.

31 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

If there's one thing I've never met in my life, it's a silent Trump supporter.  Fuckers will bring up politics and Trump no matter what the subject.

"Pretty good salad, eh Bill?"

"Yeah, enjoy it before AOC and the Green New Deal takes away our farms!"

"I mean, I was just saying it was a good salad, Bill."

I live on the north side of Chicago, and there are PLENTY of silent Trump supporters. Either in person or on Facebook, people are extremely bold with their disdain for Trump. Maybe it's the people I know, but you are much more likely to verbally attacked for supporting Trump than you are for supporting the left around me. I've seen multiple posts on Facebook today stating that if you voted for Trump, that person will no longer be friends with you. 

I was working on the southside in 2015-2016 doing some road inspection with 1 other guy. We stopped and talking with somebody doing campaigning around there. The person told us that if you admit to being a republican down there that you'll get roughed up. 

I'm not blaming one side over the other here. Both sides have shitheads. Claiming one side has more than the other just makes your biases clear.

• Like 1

Just now, poppysox said:

I agree that Trump can step over the line with the Sleepy Joe and Pocahontas stuff.  He would be better off to simply accuse Biden of treason and leave the name-calling out of it.  I guess after enduring a fake impeachment he has taken off the kid gloves.  When you make accusations of rape you simply have gone beyond political rhetoric.

Except there are 26 actual allegations out there when it comes to sexual assault and the President, most dating to long before his political career got going.

• Like 2

Just now, poppysox said:

So it's better for him to accuse his opponent of a crime with a possible capital offense?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Except there are 26 actual allegations out there when it comes to sexual assault and the President, most dating to long before his political career got going.

Not to mention he has literally admitted to assaulting women

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

My concern is eliminating the electoral college and the citizens in about 20 states become important and states like mine become even more important. 

Nobody really bothers with the vast majority of states today and instead focus on 10-15 at most. Aside from some fundraising trips here and there, the majority of the population gets ignored.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Is there a rich or powerful guy in America over 70 who wasn't a scumbag back in the day. Even Al Franken! At least he did the right thing and apologized and resigned.

9 minutes ago, knightni said:

The refusal to allow a confirmation by a president at the end of their term of a SC nominee, but rush ACB in as quickly as possible at the end of Trump's term.

The Senate controls the process as I'm sure you know.  

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Polling was absolutely broken and riddled with bias; I'm not going to say it was a silent majority because that is nonsense, but their complete whiff on Trump and on Brexit are prime examples that polling was not reaching the general audience in the way they believed.

Brexit was within MoE.

Australian polling missed badly in last year's elections because they were all herding the results.

But at the same time, 2018 US polls were pretty good. So were 2012, though they overstated GOP votes.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

So it's better for him to accuse his opponent of a crime with a possible capital offense?

Sure as hell hope he does.   Lot more proof with Hunter, Joe, and Jim Biden than there ever were on Trump colluding with the Russians.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The Senate controls the process as I'm sure you know.  

What would your position be if the Democrats do manage to take the Presidency and Senate next year and decide to, say, add 3 four federal judicial circuits to better handle caseload and decide that the number of SCOTUS seats should match the number of federal circuits, allowing them to nominate 6 new justices?

It'd be entirely within their legislative and executive power to do so. Is that the only criteria?