Lance Lynn extension  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do it?

• No
    • Yes, 1 year
    • Yes, 2 years
    • Yes, 3 years
    • Yes, 4 years plus

Hahn is typically good at extensions, but for rookies or pre-arb players. Lynn has already made his money so I see less incentive for him to accept an extension. Perhaps he would accept a discounted extension at 2/$30M to hedge against the performance risk due to age or switching to a different organization, but I really don't see a lot of incentive for him otherwise, especially accepting  a discounted extension.

17 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

LOVE the idea of rework his deal for this year. 3/45-50 is perfect. Also still allows for another starter signing and gives you a strong 3 year window with everyone on board, while still allowing the future to get it figured out (Crochet, Dalquist, Kelley). 

Exactly

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Hahn is typically good at extensions, but for rookies or pre-arb players. Lynn has already made his money so I see less incentive for him to accept an extension. Perhaps he would accept a discounted extension at 2/$30M to hedge against the performance risk due to age or switching to a different organization, but I really don't see a lot of incentive for him otherwise, especially accepting  a discounted extension.

I’d be all over 2/$30M. I’d even do 2/$40M tbh. Keep the top 3 together thru 2023.

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’d be all over 2/$30M. I’d even do 2/$40M tbh. Keep the top 3 together thru 2023.

I'll be more hesitant if it's 2/$40M deal, mainly because I don't see him getting much more than that at his age, unless he improves even more. Also, you're removing flexibility to reassess next offseason and spending on other pitchers or areas of need, and taking on the performance and injury risk with little incentive. I'll definitely extend him at a discount, not when it's at or near full price.

32 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

I'll be more hesitant if it's 2/$40M deal, mainly because I don't see him getting much more than that at his age, unless he improves even more. Also, you're removing flexibility to reassess next offseason and spending on other pitchers or areas of need, and taking on the performance and injury risk with little incentive. I'll definitely extend him at a discount, not when it's at or near full price.

A difference of $10M over two seasons? Sox have blown $10M on far worse signings in the past. A difference of $5M AAV shouldn’t have a significant impact on financial flexibility.

57 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

He wanted an extension from Texas, per ken rosenthal