The Makings of a Juggernaut?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

5 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Most people felt that way. No one could have necessarily figured he would have as good a year as he has had. 

If that's your way of trying to discredit me, you couldn't have done a poorer job.

In his return, Rodón has benefited from his work with new pitching coach Ethan Katz. He has started using a core velocity belt in drills, a tool that goes around his hips and wraps around his legs. He does about four or five exercises with the belt and a series of bands, helping with his hips and connecting his lower half to his upper half.

The result is a more fluid motion and less stress on his arm, helping him find the late-inning velocity that the 6-foot-3 Rodón had before all the injuries — though maybe not as impressive as what he is doing now. In his last outing Thursday against Detroit, his 96th and final pitch of the day was a 97.7-mph fastball that Miguel Cabrera bounced to second.

He can rear back and throw once again.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/healthy-again-rod-n-savoring-194304795.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Most people felt that way. No one could have necessarily figured he would have as good a year as he has had. 

If that's your way of trying to discredit me, you couldn't have done a poorer job.

Actually, you’re wrong. Reading through that thread, most posters thought it was a nice low risk high reward signing and better than other SP options like Q, Richards, and Hamels. Have you given the front office props for the signing?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

In his return, Rodón has benefited from his work with new pitching coach Ethan Katz. He has started using a core velocity belt in drills, a tool that goes around his hips and wraps around his legs. He does about four or five exercises with the belt and a series of bands, helping with his hips and connecting his lower half to his upper half.

The result is a more fluid motion and less stress on his arm, helping him find the late-inning velocity that the 6-foot-3 Rodón had before all the injuries — though maybe not as impressive as what he is doing now. In his last outing Thursday against Detroit, his 96th and final pitch of the day was a 97.7-mph fastball that Miguel Cabrera bounced to second.

He can rear back and throw once again.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/healthy-again-rod-n-savoring-194304795.html

Stoney nailed it back in January. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevestone/status/1355691966034370564

7 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Actually, you’re wrong. Reading through that thread, most posters thought it was a nice low risk high reward signing and better than other SP options like Q, Richards, and Hamels. Have you given the front office props for the signing?

A lot of people were bummed. And even if I was wrong, the hell you want? An apology? I'm glad it worked. But all these attempts at "gotcha" hindsight moments are ridiculous. 

All you've really done is ignore what I was trying to say from the beginning and drug us further away from it with red herring nonsense that frankly is petty and childish. All these stupid questions about who is going to win the division and just completely ignoring the fact that we are in trouble and our FO did not prepare for any of this.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

A lot of people were bummed. And even if I was wrong, the hell you want? An apology? I'm glad it worked. But all these attempts at "gotcha" hindsight moments are ridiculous. 

All you've really done is ignore what I was trying to say from the beginning and drug us further away from it with red herring nonsense that frankly is petty and childish. All these stupid questions about who is going to win the division and just completely ignoring the fact that we are in trouble and our FO did not prepare for any of this.

You have yet to explain why “we are in trouble.” Still the best team in the AL Central, even without Eloy and Robert.

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You have yet to explain why “we are in trouble.” Still the best team in the AL Central, even without Eloy and Robert.

Extremely debatable.

And if all you are doing is aiming to win the division then really, my point is kinda proven.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Extremely debatable.

And if all you are doing is aiming to win the division then really, my point is kinda proven.

Yes, the goal is to win the division and then take your chances in the playoffs with a loaded squad. Are you suggesting neither Eloy or Robert will be back by October?

And by the way, the Sox have the second highest odds of winning the pennant behind the Yankees (still). If “they’re in trouble” so are 13 other AL teams. 

• Fire 3

43 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yes, the goal is to win the division and then take your chances in the playoffs with a loaded squad. Are you suggesting neither Eloy or Robert will be back by October?

And by the way, the Sox have the second highest odds of winning the pennant behind the Yankees (still). If “they’re in trouble” so are 13 other AL teams. 

That's the entire fucking point. These guys missing is likely going to prevent us from getting close to that.

It's weird you sit solely on "odds" based on mere numbers and have clearly never paid any attention to this franchise.

I don't even know why I'm attempting this anymore. You're dense as all hell and I've lost my patience.

Edited by RagahRagah

5 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

That's the entire fucking point. These guys missing is likely going to prevent us from getting close to that.

It's weird you sit solely on "odds" based on mere numbers and have clearly never paid any attention to this franchise.

I don't even know why I'm attempting this anymore. You're dense as all hell and I've lost my patience.

Why will it prevent them from getting close to that? Are both Eloy and Robert expected to miss the playoffs? What’s your basis for saying the Sox are “in trouble?”

I’ve provided betting odds and fangraphs metrics to support my argument that the Sox are STILL one of the best teams in the league. What have you given besides a hunch and a lazy line of because they haven’t been good in the past? If you paid any attention to the team this season or last you would recognize this team is different than past teams. Sorry but I’m not the dense one here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Meanwhile...Sox #5 starter is throwing a no-hitter and Sox offense has produced 8 runs through 5 innings without Eloy and Robert. But this team is toast! How will they ever score enough runs to compete?! They’re done I tell you!

Before Robert went down the Sox were #1 in the MLB in wRC+. They'll only increase their lead after tonight. His injury will definitely hurt but without him it's not like the lineup is AAA quality.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Before Robert went down the Sox were #1 in the MLB in wRC+. They'll only increase their lead after tonight. His injury will definitely hurt but without him it's not like the lineup is AAA quality.

Exactly. All I’ve read for the last few pages of this thread is how great Indians pitching is and how good the Twins offense is. The Sox could very well have better pitching than the Indians and a better offense than the Twins. No other AL Central team is as balanced as the Sox.

• Like 1

Best run differential in the AL and only 1 run behind the Dodgers for best in MLB.

Our starting pitching has be nails with Rodon and Cease leaping ahead. If Gio and DK can improve to last years versions, wow.

4 hours ago, hi8is said:

Best run differential in the AL and only 1 run behind the Dodgers for best in MLB.

Our starting pitching has be nails with Rodon and Cease leaping ahead. If Gio and DK can improve to last years versions, wow.

Said it a month ago that I haven’t seen a Sox starting rotation this talented in my lifetime, 2005 included. If the bullpen comes around, you could be looking at the top pitching staff in the AL combined with the top offense 😳

On 4/24/2021 at 9:13 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Last year the Sox finished 1st overall in fWAR generated from their position players and 11th overall in fWAR generated from their pitching. Some wrote it off as SSS and fluky because of the shortened season. Thing is, they’ve kept it up this season and so far are even more balanced ranking 4th and 5th, respectively.

Earlier this week, fangraphs published their week 1 power rankings and listed the Sox with the second highest “team quality” in MLB behind only, you guessed it, the Dodgers.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/fangraphs-power-rankings-week-1/

Their record doesn’t reflect it yet this season but do we have the makings of an absolute juggernaut this season and beyond? The AL version of the Dodgers if you will.

It was an innocent time back then. Carefree. Full of hope. 

It's a long season and this team's player leadership won't let them fail.  

They just have to stay afloat until guys return.  Make the playoffs and anything can happen with our rotation.  

*Robert is coming back this year, right?  

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

So this is pretty incredible... Draftkings futures odds for AL Cy Young award winner currently places 4 Sox starters inside the top 10. Their fifth starter (Dallas Keuchel) is tied for 18th best odds. Insane

And I would assume that’s not including arguably their best pitcher this year (outside of Rodon’s insane start) in Kopech?

2 hours ago, fathom said:

And I would assume that’s not including arguably their best pitcher this year (outside of Rodon’s insane start) in Kopech?

That is correct. Does not include Kopech. Lynn has the best odds of the five at +1300. Cole is the favorite at +160.

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That is correct. Does not include Kopech. Lynn has the best odds of the five at +1300. Cole is the favorite at +160.

Sadly, the Sox will likely get screwed by the East Coast voters. Carlos Rodon was for April Pitcher of the month, even though he wasn't formally awarded the title.

A Sox pitcher will need to be light years ahead of everyone else to get the award.

22 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sadly, the Sox will likely get screwed by the East Coast voters. Carlos Rodon was for April Pitcher of the month, even though he wasn't formally awarded the title.

A Sox pitcher will need to be light years ahead of everyone else to get the award.

True. Bieber won last season but his numbers made him the undeniable pick.

• Like 1