The TLR Manager Thread

chitownsportsfan

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Dude is struggling to manage in a game that has passed him by.  Even if this accidentally happened, it is a volatile situation that could meltdown at any time.

Nah, this team has too much talent.  I'm reminded of Ozzie's response to if there was a "curse" on the South Side after so many years of losing: "no curse, just too many horse-bleep teams".

This is a great team and barring injuries to the rotation or another couple key position players will contend for 90+ wins and a WS appearance. 

From Fegan's piece about Giolito btw,

If Tony La Russa had spent the last seven months digesting the public response to his hire, his court case in Arizona, his lineups, his pitching changes, anything really, it’s not clear how he would function.

So it makes sense he was surprised that his last few Zoom sessions have been inundated with challenges to his firm stance about swinging on 3-0 in a blowout, to the point of publicly admonishing Yermín Mercedes about it.

La Russa is confident that his stance doesn’t put him at odds with his team, whose objections have been visible enough on social media and through public comments. Team sources verified there is some clubhouse disagreement with the manager.

https://theathletic.com/2599766/2021/05/19/for-the-first-place-white-sox-winning-ballgames-solves-any-tony-la-russa-issues/?source=emp_shared_article

Edited by DirtySox

Does anyone honestly think LaRussa is actually doing this intentionally to unite the team and take all the attention/focus off the players and put it all on himself, like Ozzie consistently did until the end?

I’ve got some Bitcoin, Dogecoin and tons of Shiba Inu that I’d just love to offload.  Great investment opportunity, far better than boring old gold.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Does anyone honestly think LaRussa is actually doing this intentionally to unite the team and take all the attention/focus off the players and put it all on himself?

I’ve got some Bitcoin, Dogecoin and tons of Shiba Inu that I’d just love to offload.  Great investment opportunity, far better than boring old gold.

Don‘t badmouth Dogecoin I got in at sub one cent a pop. 😎

Just now, GermanSoxFan said:

I grew tired of Renteria‘s bizarre in game decisions including his love for the bunt in a game with a ridiculous juiced ball.

Man I wish he was managing the team, at least he is a likable stand-up gzy who had a connection to his players-

And his bullpen actually closed out games...granted, it was Colome, but nothing like the current situation.

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

All my ETFs crapped the bed recently, Doge turned a joke investment into a sizable chunk of money- Thanks Elon 😎

ARKK/Cathie Wood?  

Soros is the one playing 5D chess, definitely not the Sox front office.

Edited by caulfield12

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Does anyone honestly think LaRussa is actually doing this intentionally to unite the team and take all the attention/focus off the players and put it all on himself, like Ozzie consistently did until the end?

That's something a manager does when his team just went 3-10 against division opponents, not 10-3. When you're 10-3, the manager should become invisible and let the players have the spotlight.

Tony La Russa doubles down on HR controversy while his players send different message on social media

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tony-la-russa-doubles-down-on-hr-controversy-while-his-players-send-different-message-on-social-media-170429453.html

Mercedes has since gone private on Instagram.

Those messages don't criticize La Russa directly, though Anderson and Mercedes make it clear they don't agree with their manager's ideology. 

None of this bodes well for La Russa. Anderson is one of the team's best players and its most recognizable national superstar. Mercedes is only a rookie, but he's been arguably the best hitter on the White Sox this season. 

Those voices —especially Anderson's — carry significant weight in the clubhouse. La Russa may want to consider that the next time he decides to weigh in on Mercedes' home run.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

TLR being the "bad cop" in the clubhouse, on a team with this much talent, is sorta perfect.  Takes all the pressure off the players and unites them.  I don't agree with what TLR said about Yermin but I don't think it hurts the club.  In fact, it helps them.  Similar to Ozzie's rants.  This is quite the season we've got going on the South Side.  I think I'm just going to enjoy the ride and not try and micro analyze much anymore.  Just win baby.

@DirtySox -- totally. I'm not saying TLR did it on purpose, but he certainly united the club and Giolito his ace went out and performed for him today through the "turmoil". 

lol, this is a meme:

Lol pal you are just too far gone at this point to take seriously in anyway 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Big mistake," La Russa said. "The fact that he's a rookie, and excited, helps explain why he just was clueless. But now he's got a clue."

La Russa was in full get-off-my-lawn mode during his video conference with reporters the next day.

"I took several steps from the dugout onto the field, yelling, 'Take, take, take,'" La Russa recalled. "The way he was set up, it looked to me like he was going to swing.

"I was upset because that's not a time to swing 3-0. I knew the Twins knew I was upset. . . . He missed a 3-0 take sign. With that kind of lead, that's just sportsmanship and respect for your opponent."

And . . .

"I'm certain that will not happen again with Yermin," La Russa said. "It's a manager's responsibility. It's a teaching moment. You want them to understand why there's a take sign in that situation.

"I'm absolutely certain the guy is not going to swing 3-0 in another situation."

Tipsheet isn't so certain that Mercedes won’t repeat this breach of baseball etiquette. He insisted he wouldn't change his playing style.

"I'm always doing Yermin," Mercedes said. "For that reason, I'm here right now. For that reason, you guys are talking to me right now. If I'm not Yermin, if I'm not doing that, nobody wants to talk to me, nobody wants to know what I'm doing."

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/tipsheet-la-russa-insists-on-enforcing-baseballs-unwritten-rules/article_ee6f7865-1299-5f1c-a87f-a5bed569f412.html