A New Yoelqui Question

vilehoopster

It seems like every box score I’ve checked, Yoelqui has been the DH. Is that correct? Why is he only DHing? I thought he was this 5-tool player? In fact, wasn’t the concern that he was very good defensively and was only so-so with the bat? Why isn’t he in the outfield for WS? Does anyone have any insight or understanding on this?

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

It seems like every box score I’ve checked, Yoelqui has been the DH. Is that correct? Why is he only DHing? I thought he was this 5-tool player? In fact, wasn’t the concern that he was very good defensively and was only so-so with the bat? Why isn’t he in the outfield for WS? Does anyone have any insight or understanding on this?

I wouldn't be too concerned about that yet.

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

He JUST got to play his first pro game within the last week.  Slow the roll on the panic.  He's walking into a situation where everyone else has been playing in their spots for a month and a half, and wasn't even supposed to be with this team originally.  Let the kid gets his ABs and settle in.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2021 at 8:14 AM, vilehoopster said:

It concerns me too. He was definitely considered a 5 tool player with great coverage of the outfield and a plus arm. Plus its only high A ball, my god, if you cant experiment with him in the OF at WS high A ball, then that's a problem imo. Again this was the #1 rated international prospect Hahn signed.

31 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

It concerns me too. He was definitely considered a 5 tool player with great coverage of the outfield and a plus arm. Plus its only high A ball, my god, if you cant experiment with him in the OF at WS high A ball, then that's a problem imo. Again this was the #1 rated international prospect Hahn signed.

I'm pretty sure only MLB pipeline considered him the #1 prospect. Either way I imagine they are easing him into it. Hopefully he plays the field soon.

Edited by DirtySox

15 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

The kid hasn't played real baseball for years, and he is going to a level that is about equal to what he played in Cuba.  Give the kid a few days before pissing yourself.

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Thank you for agreeing with me. Eloy and Robert get hurt and we throw Vaughn into LF with almost no minor league experience anywhere on defense or batting and zero outfield experience and expect him to perform there and also bat at the major league level, (Hell, we've thrown Mendick into the outfield too) but somehow we HAVE to let Yoelqui get, at least, a week of at bats a DH before this 5-tool player can handle actually playing the outfield AND batting.

OH MY GOD !!! We're putting too much pressure on this 5-tool (according to MLB pipeline # 1 prospect) to expect him to hit and catch some fly balls, you know play a position he's played his entire life, a position Marco Paddy said he was major league ready to play. Oh wait!? He's only been with the Sox organization since spring training, I guess he hasn't seen a fly ball hit to him or drilled any on outfield defense in the last few months. That must be the case why it's so ridiculous to expect him to ACTUALLY bat and field at the Single A level. 

My point is, removing all the sarcasm, is that it's a legit question to wonder why he still hasn't played the outfield yet with WS, and I was trying to have actual conversation on the the MILB forum of my favorite team. To ask the question is not pissing my pants, it was an attempt to get answers and start a conversation on a forum board. So don't act like I'm the one overreacting. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Thank you for agreeing with me. Eloy and Robert get hurt and we throw Vaughn into LF with almost no minor league experience anywhere on defense or batting and zero outfield experience and expect him to perform there and also bat at the major league level, (Hell, we've thrown Mendick into the outfield too) but somehow we HAVE to let Yoelqui get, at least, a week of at bats a DH before this 5-tool player can handle actually playing the outfield AND batting.

OH MY GOD !!! We're putting too much pressure on this 5-tool (according to MLB pipeline # 1 prospect) to expect him to hit and catch some fly balls, you know play a position he's played his entire life, a position Marco Paddy said he was major league ready to play. Oh wait!? He's only been with the Sox organization since spring training, I guess he hasn't seen a fly ball hit to him or drilled any on outfield defense in the last few months. That must be the case why it's so ridiculous to expect him to ACTUALLY bat and field at the Single A level. 

My point is, removing all the sarcasm, is that it's a legit question to wonder why he still hasn't played the outfield yet with WS, and I was trying to have actual conversation on the the MILB forum of my favorite team. To ask the question is not pissing my pants, it was an attempt to get answers and start a conversation on a forum board. So don't act like I'm the one overreacting. 

He hadn't played competitive baseball in 2 years, and reported 6 weeks late to play, yet we're worried about him getting into the swing after 5 games. 5 games.

Yes, that is overreacting. 

• Like 3

He looks like a CFer in the same way Avi Garcia does... time will tell,  but hard pressed to believe he's not a corner guy at the major league level. They can play him there, and it would do nothing but benefit his trade value in the long run. Realistically, him playing in Chicago in 2021 always required every thing going wrong (that part happened), but missing so much in terms of playing under real game conditions means we should be content if he can somehow make it to Birmingham, where big offensive numbers go to die.  

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The kid hasn't played real baseball for years, and he is going to a level that is about equal to what he played in Cuba.  Give the kid a few days before pissing yourself.

You completely missed my point. I am not panicking, I am just questioning why he is at DH and not in the OF. I don't care if he hasn't played in awhile. For crying out loud, this is only A ball we are talking about! The best case scenario if he ever make the big leagues, is the fact he will never be a DH. He wasn't signed for that. Since this is A ball, which in practicality is an experimental and developing league, so why isn't he playing the outfield? I am not talking about his hitting potential, which by the way is .148 thru 7 games, although he did get his first HR last night. 

I just find it odd he isn't playing the outfield as the former #1 international prospect. He is injured? Is he not in shape? It just doesn't add up. 

I still think my suggestion holds.  Maybe just a minor tweak and trying to get at bats but not aggravate anything because your premise makes sense, he should be able to play.  Also and clearly, some guys get into the flow of the game better when in the field.  Now maybe in Arizona the work they did was more like BP hence DHing similar.  Surely some publication will report on him since he is a prospect getting first look at in states.

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

You completely missed my point. I am not panicking, I am just questioning why he is at DH and not in the OF. I don't care if he hasn't played in awhile. For crying out loud, this is only A ball we are talking about! The best case scenario if he ever make the big leagues, is the fact he will never be a DH. He wasn't signed for that. Since this is A ball, which in practicality is an experimental and developing league, so why isn't he playing the outfield? I am not talking about his hitting potential, which by the way is .148 thru 7 games, although he did get his first HR last night. 

I just find it odd he isn't playing the outfield as the former #1 international prospect. He is injured? Is he not in shape? It just doesn't add up. 

You say you aren't panicking,  yet the whole post is about worrying about why he isn't playing the OF in his first live baseball action in 2 years.  Relax, he will get there.

On 6/27/2021 at 10:46 AM, southsider2k5 said:

You say you aren't panicking,  yet the whole post is about worrying about why he isn't playing the OF in his first live baseball action in 2 years.  Relax, he will get there.

Wow, I guess this is semantics. What I call criticism and calling out things, you seem to call panicking. If the player is hyped as the #1 prospect then that is criticizing and not panicking for your information. Panicking would be if we were worried he wouldn't be able to make it up to the Sox team this year. This guy is so far away from ever joining the Sox. LOL!

I don't care if he hadn't played in 2 years, he should have been stain in shape all long. This would not prevent him from playing the outfield. It might prevent him from hitting well, which is showing up in , which explains his .129 BA. There isn't that much running in the outfield. If he is so out of shape and has to be DH, then maybe he shouldn't be playing until he does get in shape. 

Btw, how would one get in shape to play the OF while being DH? Your argument is illogical.

16 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Wow, I guess this is semantics. What I call criticism and calling out things, you seem to call panicking. If the player is hyped as the #1 prospect then that is criticizing and not panicking for your information. Panicking would be if we were worried he wouldn't be able to make it up to the Sox team this year. This guy is so far away from ever joining the Sox. LOL!

I don't care if he hadn't played in 2 years, he should have been stain in shape all long. This would not prevent him from playing the outfield. It might prevent him from hitting well, which is showing up in , which explains his .129 BA. There isn't that much running in the outfield. If he is so out of shape and has to be DH, then maybe he shouldn't be playing until he does get in shape. 

Btw, how would one get in shape to play the OF while being DH? Your argument is illogical.

I never said anything about out of shape, you did.  There is a difference settling in and being in shape.  And honestly with as many players as are getting hurt this year after a much shorter layoff, I can't say that the Sox are taking the wrong approach here.  He will play OF soon enough, I am not worried about it.    Again you also left out the part where I also mentioned that he walked into a team that had already been playing for 6 weeks with guys established in their spots too.  The guy hasn't played baseball for two years,  it doesn't really matter what his one ranking was.  His ranking has nothing to do with it.  In fact the opposite, I think the panic is because of his ranking.  Pretend he is anybody else, and let him hit for a while.  He'll get there.  Honestly, it might not even be this year, but he will get there.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I never said anything about out of shape, you did.  There is a difference settling in and being in shape.  And honestly with as many players as are getting hurt this year after a much shorter layoff, I can't say that the Sox are taking the wrong approach here.  He will play OF soon enough, I am not worried about it.    Again you also left out the part where I also mentioned that he walked into a team that had already been playing for 6 weeks with guys established in their spots too.  The guy hasn't played baseball for two years,  it doesn't really matter what his one ranking was.  His ranking has nothing to do with it.  In fact the opposite, I think the panic is because of his ranking.  Pretend he is anybody else, and let him hit for a while.  He'll get there.  Honestly, it might not even be this year, but he will get there.

He can settle in as you say, by playing the OF and not being a DH. The whole point of his signing was that he was a good outfielder. This is not pro basketball game where you are doing heavy cardio and endurance running. If he cant play outfield at our minor league A ball team, then the Sox have a serious problem. 

Btw, this entire debate has everything to do with his ranking. When you are a highly regarded prospect as he was, the expectations are higher and always will be. This is the way it has always been in all sports and not just baseball. 

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

He can settle in as you say, by playing the OF and not being a DH. The whole point of his signing was that he was a good outfielder. This is not pro basketball game where you are doing heavy cardio and endurance running. If he cant play outfield at our minor league A ball team, then the Sox have a serious problem. 

Btw, this entire debate has everything to do with his ranking. When you are a highly regarded prospect as he was, the expectations are higher and always will be. This is the way it has always been in all sports and not just baseball. 

Holy over react Bat Man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

There is a record number of IL trips this year in MLB.  MiLB is signing record numbers of independent league players to make up for their huge run of injuries plus the MLB injuries which they are having to cover.  There are people who think we should be firing the entire training staff because of injuries.  Cespedes hasn't played in twice as long as those guys, and it walking into a team 6 weeks late.  His #1 ranking in the international class by one publication be damned.  He wasn't ranked #1 by another other group, nor is he is the Sox top prospect.  if he didn't have the one #1 attached to his name, no one would have a special worry about his status.  That is the definition of panic.  With all of the leg inuries around baseball and the White Sox this year, you would think that the quickest way to do something would be to get him a major leg injury after years of not playing.

Just now, ron883 said:

Bruh you joined less than a week ago. You've already had multiple discussions with @southsider2k5 ?

With all dues respect my friend, I actually joined over a year ago. I was having log in problems for weeks on this site. As a result, I just re-signed up again. I am working with someone right now in admin to fix my account and reinstate my old info. However my name was the same. 

I have had many back and forth wasted chats with @southsider2k5 and its always his style of debating. When he gets frustrated and beat in his argument, he always goes to the, you are dumb and I win...lame immature remarks.

14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Bruh you joined less than a week ago. You've already had multiple discussions with @southsider2k5 ?

Many banned posters like to try to sneak back in.  They can't get enough Soxtalk.  Usually when that happens, they show the reasons they got banned in the first place.  They get mad and make it personal.