2022 MLB Draft Thread

Harold's Leg Lift

Keith Law posted his final big board before the draft. Doesn't seem too high on Cade Horton.

93. Cade Horton, RHP, Oklahoma

Horton is an age-eligible sophomore (he’ll turn 21 in August) who missed 2021 after Tommy John surgery but has been a key part of the Sooners’ run to Omaha this year, working with two pitches that have helped him dominate right-handed batters. Horton sits 94-96 mph, touching 98 mph, and has a wipeout slider up to 89 mph that breaks downward so sharply that it doesn’t just fall off the table, it takes the tablecloth and all the dishes with it. He has no changeup to speak of and allowed an on-base percentage near .400 to lefties this year, and that’s the main thing keeping him from projecting as a starter. If you think there’s a third weapon in there somewhere, he would be a second-rounder; if not, he’s in the big bucket of good college pitchers who project as relievers and fit in rounds 3-5.

Edited by DirtySox

First year in a while I have no idea who any of these people are. The extent of of my knowledge of this draft is Andruw Jones and Matt Holliday’s sons, and Kumar Rocker. Draft the best college bat available, and hope for the best.

Analysis. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Horton has great stuff, only 2 pitches, can't get lefties out, was only good for a month.  Looks like a rush-to-the-bullpen candidate.  I hope the Sox look elsewhere.

I don’t agree with Law this time. Horton was rehabbing all year essentially. You could argue that he’s the top pitcher in the college class. He’s got a big number, probably $4 million because he’s a top 10 pick next year if he returns. 

45 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t agree with Law this time. Horton was rehabbing all year essentially. You could argue that he’s the top pitcher in the college class. He’s got a big number, probably $4 million because he’s a top 10 pick next year if he returns. 

Law is usually right about that stuff. He's one of the better public scouts out there. I'd trust his opinion over any other public scout. 

Before you scream about Chris Sale, I think that was a White Sox job because they did a lot to protect him. Very shortly after he got traded, Sale broke. The Sox got more out of him than most orgs would. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Law is usually right about that stuff. He's one of the better public scouts out there. I'd trust his opinion over any other public scout. 

Before you scream about Chris Sale, I think that was a White Sox job because they did a lot to protect him. Very shortly after he got traded, Sale broke. The Sox got more out of him than most orgs would. 

He’s often wrong on pitchers. Not many I trust more in position players though. 

• Like 1

pro Snelling.

Given sox recent FO plays, hard to believe they'd draft a medical shoulder.

Man I really like Chase DeLauter but seems unlikely to get to sox. Keep going LH power, especially since it feels like he barely has to swing for power. 

• Like 1

Can't beat a dead horse enough that if we can't effectively wield our additional budget room against our division, we have to find more ways to level the playing field in PD and talent acquisition. DET/MN/KC/CLE all get more draft picks/more intl budget than us. We need to look for things like this that allow us to trade out borderline 40 guys for potential higher upside picks / bigger room in the draft.

16 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The telling thing to me is that .400 avg allowed to lefties. That suggests to me that while he throws hard, he doesn't have much movement on the fastball, and/or that that slider generally breaks off the plate (which won't fool lefties; nor  pro hitters either side; a Fulmer issue).  And he'd be required to learn, really, 2 more pitches.  And, of course, the FO willingness to use first-round choices on relievers.

I would cut Horton slack on not having a 3rd pitch yet.  Top HS pitchers don't throw many changeups, he missed his freshman year with TJ and came back a month and a half into his sophomore year.  He simply hasn't had time to develop it.  If he shows feel for a change during his bullpens and he checks all the other boxes I wouldn't hesitate for a second to draft him.  He can learn to throw a change and he has plenty of time to develop it.  I think calling him a reliever at this point is short-sighted.