The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

Is there really any reason to be even slightly optimistic after Manfred's talk? Of course he is going to say it is a great deal, so much owner  concession, etc. I just hope there is something there that keeps them talking. On the other hand, there was no reason to ever believe this deal wasn't going to come down to the last second if missing games was going to be avoided once the lockout occurred. But I just think we are going to be dismayed tomorrow when we get the players' response. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Is there really any reason to be even slightly optimistic after Manfred's talk? Of course he is going to say it is a great deal, so much owner  concession, etc. I just hope there is something there that keeps them talking. On the other hand, there was no reason to ever believe this deal wasn't going to come down to the last second if missing games was going to be avoided once the lockout occurred. But I just think we are going to be dismayed tomorrow when we get the players' response. 

The only good thing is he wasn't willing to say they were delaying Spring Training, let alone the season.  It means they at least get how this would look, so they know it means something to people.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The only good thing is he wasn't willing to say they were delaying Spring Training, let alone the season.  It means they at least get how this would look, so they know it means something to people.

I was watching MLB Network yesterday and Dan O'Dowd was talking about spring training. It's not only all the people who plan trips around it, it's the municipalities that built these teams these complexes. They expect revenue. It's really the only sport that could piss people off by shortening the pre-season. 

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The big thing I need to see is "movement from the owners somewhere in tomorrow's offer". They put out a CBA proposal that was clearly more favorable to them than the current CBA, especially now that we know they massively increased the luxury tax penalties. The players responded by legitimately giving a little ground since the owners had actually made an offer, and the owners yelled at them for not giving in completely. 

If the owners move a little towards the players, the players will give them back a proposal a couple days later that likely moves on something else, and we'll start seeing a path forward as long as they keep working. Both times there has been a stalemate has been when the owners refused to do anything - that has to change.

While superstars are making more money than ever, baseball’s middle class has been wiped out by recent labor agreements. The median salary — the point at which half the players make less and half the players make more — has dropped about 30 percent since 2015, according to the Associated Press.

Teams have figured out it is much more cost effective to fill the roster with younger players whose salaries can be strictly controlled, which means the average veteran player is getting a lot more take-it-or-leave-it offers than ever before in the era of free agency.

yahoo.com/sports

• Like 1

If time is of the essence, and the owners had these proposals for days, why wait until Saturday to deliver them? Seems to me they know the response, and the closer they get to the Super Bowl, the news that spring training and therefore the beginning of the season will be delayed, will be buried by the big game. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

While superstars are making more money than ever, baseball’s middle class has been wiped out by recent labor agreements. The median salary — the point at which half the players make less and half the players make more — has dropped about 30 percent since 2015, according to the Associated Press.

Teams have figured out it is much more cost effective to fill the roster with younger players whose salaries can be strictly controlled, which means the average veteran player is getting a lot more take-it-or-leave-it offers than ever before in the era of free agency.

yahoo.com/sports

This sounds like what the rest of the US is dealing with. The rich getting richer while the middle class is eroding.

Edited by Middle Buffalo
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If time is of the essence, and the owners had these proposals for days, why wait until Saturday to deliver them? Seems to me they know the response, and the closer they get to the Super Bowl, the news that spring training and therefore the beginning of the season will be delayed, will be buried by the big game. 

Nothing says controlling the narrative like meeting on a Saturday outside the normal news cycle.  Are they conceding that their hardline stance was always BS and hope no one notices to save some face?  Or just hoping fans take less notice of another shitty MLB proposal so they can continue directing blame at the players?  Either way waiting until a Saturday to meet feels awfully intentional. 

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Nothing says controlling the narrative like meeting on a Saturday outside the normal news cycle.  Are they conceding that their hardline stance was always BS and hope no one notices to save some face?  Or just hoping fans take less notice of another shitty MLB proposal so they can continue directing blame at the players?  Either way waiting until a Saturday to meet feels awfully intentional. 

You may be very right about the timing of all this. Things are moving awfully slow. Additionally, Manfred alluded to the fact that only a month of spring training is needed making it look like spring training will not start on time. Right now, I will only believe there's progress when I actually see it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Why are these meetings so short? Sit in a damn room for a day and hash this shit out

When you are that far apart there is nothing to negotiate. The thresholds tell you all you need to know. The owners don’t care if they blow up the sport. It’s their way or the Highway. It’s pretty sad.