Levine links Sox to Conforto

southsider2k5

22 hours ago, bmags said:

MLBPA should try to create some sort of bird rights for players like Abreu. 8+ years on same team and over 34 years old can be re-signed without luxury tax implications.

This idea would benefit both the Owners and Players, so it probably won't happen.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Mostly it would be a win for the fans who don't want to see their franchise players leave, especially in small markets, so yeah, it will never happen.

Small market teams aren’t in any threat of hitting the luxury tax if they hold onto a player long-term.  An exemption from the tax only matters for teams that are close to it. Would matter a ton for the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets. This is the first year since the luxury tax existed that it would matter for a the White Sox - A mid-market team.

On 2/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, Balta1701 said:

And when Konerko was 36, they signed him to a 3 year extension. 

Look, there’s lots of things the white Sox could do. They could just pay the tax for two years. They could let Abreu finish his career elsewhere and start a rookie somewhere. They could trade away a pitcher to clear payroll. They could attach a prospect with Moustakas and move him.

I can guess which of those I think the White Sox will do, and I bet they are getting “big board” consideration when any deal where they take on a lot of salary is discussed.

Not true.

• Thanks 1