Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Too unreliable. Rodon hasn't thrown 150 innings since 2016, and it's the only time he did it. 

He is healthy and special. 1yr qualifying…no brainer…no brainer. 4 yr…only if you got a discount. What giants did…brilliant with good balance upside vs downside risk (imo). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just my opinion, but if Giolito comes out with his 2019-20 fastball and with his improved slider from 2021 watch out for him too. 

Those extra 1-2 mph on Gio's fastball make his change even harder to pick up. When I saw that he worked on lower body strength I think I know exactly why he did that. 

Giolito needs to be more consistent with the slider and throw it more for him to take that next step.  It’s definitely in the realm of possibility, but it always seems like he wants to revert to a 4 seamer / change up heavy mix.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Giolito needs to be more consistent with the slider and throw it more for him to take that next step.  It’s definitely in the realm of possibility, but it always seems like he wants to revert to a 4 seamer / change up heavy mix.

He did that last year. Hitters were on his change more than they've ever been. He wasn't getting away with high changeups anymore. 

48 minutes ago, ptatc said:

To get that lineup they would need to.

That’s wasn’t my point.  The White Sox holes and all will be competing with teams with similarly constructed rosters.  Simply refusing to address your needs is stacking the deck against yourself.  The Sox will never spend like LA both by circumstance and by choice, but sitting on your hands pretending they have enough during their supposed contention window simply isn’t good enough.  

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

The three guys included Kopech. Lynn is limited due to his arsenal. 

I can’t discount Lynn - dude was really good last year…until his back gave way. But astros are horrific match up for him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

That’s wasn’t my point.  The White Sox holes and all will be competing with teams with similarly constructed rosters.  Simply refusing to address your needs is stacking the deck against yourself.  The Sox will never spend like LA both by circumstance and by choice, but sitting on your hands pretending they have enough during their supposed contention window simply isn’t good enough.  

At this point, they literally need to make one signing.........even if they went into the tax, it wouldn't be that punitive because they'd be barely over. 

If they just signed Conforto we'd all be giddy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think Gio wins the Cy Young this year. 

Then it really WILL be a foregone conclusion that he's gone at the end of 2023, if not at mid-season to increase his trade return (and rebuild/retool the organization) for 2024.

I'd certainly/gladly take that tradeoff of losing Giolito if it at least guaranteed ONE AL Championship series at this point. (Of course, nobody would blink an eye if we somehow won it all and they let him go, it would be like the Buehrle treatment, a decade later.)

Still, not even dreaming about the World Series anymore, not with TLR as the manager.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can’t discount Lynn - dude was really good last year…until his back gave way. But astros are horrific match up for him. 

I think Lynn's ceiling in the playoffs is an excellent #3. There will always be teams that hit the hard stuff well and he will struggle with them. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He did that last year. Hitters were on his change more than they've ever been. He wasn't getting away with high changeups anymore. 

A high change up is a meme. It's impressive he can make that work.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

STFU guys, you're giving me hope 🙃

Jack, I think you need to realize this team is awesome despite a shitty farm system and few impactful free agent signings.  For at least the next three seasons, we should be able to overcome the mistakes of our ownership group and front office and be one of the best teams in baseball.  Hopefully Conforto plus a starting pitcher is still coming though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jack, I think you need to realize this team is awesome despite a shitty farm system and few impactful free agent signings.  For at least the next three seasons, we should be able to overcome the mistakes of our ownership group and front office and be one of the best teams in baseball.  Hopefully Conforto plus a starting pitcher is still coming though.

I will drool if Yoan finds his power stroke again. Would make me forget about Conforto PDQ. 

I'm not worried about Vaughn/Sheets offensively, I think they'll be fine. I do worry about how many runs they give away in RF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I will drool if Yoan finds his power stroke again. Would make me forget about Conforto PDQ. 

I'm not worried about Vaughn/Sheets offensively, I think they'll be fine. I do worry about how many runs they give away in RF. 

They won’t be the right fielder though.

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not only was he making it work in 2019-20,  it was a weapon. He was throwing it there on purpose. 

I know, it was very effective. When Keith Foulke threw a high changeup it was in the seats 4 seconds later.

That reminds me of that KW trade where he gave Oakland Foulke/Durham for Billy Koch. Koch had a mysterious virus that basically caused the yips. His wife and kids had the same thing. I wonder if the A's knew about it. in any case I'd prefer we never traded with them or played them in a meaningful game. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Vaughn has minimal acumen for it and will probably be normal-bad in RF. You can win with Manny Ramirez and Jose Canseco and Gary Sheffield and countless other non-ballplayers in the outfield. Sheets shouldn't even be an issue though. If he can hit, why would they do anything with him but make him the primary DH and give Abreu a day to rest or DH himself?

Edited by KBX

4 minutes ago, KBX said:

I know, it was very effective. When Keith Foulke threw a high changeup it was in the seats 4 seconds later.

That reminds me of that KW trade where he gave Oakland Foulke/Durham for Billy Koch. Koch had a mysterious virus that basically caused the yips. His wife and kids had the same thing. I wonder if the A's knew about it. in any case I'd prefer we never traded with them or played them in a meaningful game. 

Vaughn has minimal acumen for it and will probably be normal-bad in RF. You can win with Manny Ramirez and Jose Canseco and Gary Sheffield and countless other non-ballplayers in the outfield. Sheets shouldn't even be an issue though. If he can hit, why would they do anything with him but make him the primary DH and give Abreu a day to rest or DH himself?

It was Ray Durham for Jon Adkins (when there were rumors the comp pick system was changing, just reference Adkins' ERA at the time of the trade)...

2 Traded by Chicago White Sox with Mark Johnson, Joe Valentine and cash to Oakland Athletics in exchange for Billy Koch and 2 players to be named later (December 3, 2002); Chicago White Sox received Neal Cotts and Daylon Holt (December 16, 2002).
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Totally was…arms were just beat down from a long post season run.

Then Magglio hit an epic blast to win the pennant for the Tigers. That was the first sign that 05 was a fluke and KW was cursed. I'm not sure the 06 team was any more talented. Thome looked like a big step forward but he came at the cost of a black hole in CF. The bullpen got significantly worse, as expected, even though KW added a few relievers. He didn't stand pat at all but they were ineffective moves. I don't remember who was a FA that year but they figured to draw 3 million so I don't know why you can't just buy a power bat and keep Rowand. 

1 minute ago, KBX said:

Then Magglio hit an epic blast to win the pennant for the Tigers. That was the first sign that 05 was a fluke and KW was cursed. I'm not sure the 06 team was any more talented. Thome looked like a big step forward but he came at the cost of a black hole in CF. The bullpen got significantly worse, as expected, even though KW added a few relievers. He didn't stand pat at all but they were ineffective moves. I don't remember who was a FA that year but they figured to draw 3 million so I don't know why you can't just buy a power bat and keep Rowand. 

Also gotta remember that Frank was really good that year for Oakland and continued to be a solid hitter with Toronto for a few years after. We probably could have kept Frank for cheap and saved ourselves from trading Rowand and Gio. Thome did give us good production for the next 4 years though, so I wouldn't say it was a bad trade. 

2006's biggest issue was the pitching cratering after the all-star break. I think the innings we put on the starters in the playoffs in 05 caught up to us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KBX said:

The Sox legit had top 5 payrolls after 2005.  Hahn acquiring Thome and Vazquez were excellent, forwarding thinking moves even if they didn’t make the playoffs (which they would have under the current structure).  Losing Rowand did hurt though.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The Sox legit had top 5 payrolls after 2005.  Hahn acquiring Thome and Vazquez were excellent, forwarding thinking moves even if they didn’t make the playoffs (which they would have under the current structure).  Losing Rowand did hurt though.

Why was Vazquez a good move? He was mediocre the previous two years, and he was a choker. He did have a career year the next year when the Sox were out of contention. Thome was a good guy to have but the point was that he came at the expense of a starting CF and that was a problem for several years thereafter. As far as forward-thinking goes, I mean Vazquez kept Brandon McCarthy out of the rotation, and the Rowand trade handed Brian Anderson a starting job and he was obviously terrible.