Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So they went for average at best. The guy isn't as good as the guy he replaced, who wasn't as good as the guy he replaced. That's how you build a championship team.

They had several months to zero in on targets, and once again , it seems they are out of touch with the rest of the league. How is the next rebuild going to go when you don't have stars on cheap contracts to obtain prospects?  If they keep the same knuckleheads in charge they will be bad for  years.

Honestly till they get a different ownership it's always going to be the same. Jerry cries poor all the time. Can't spend a dollar when you only have a quarter.  

1 hour ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I'm glad they looked at these numbers at the TDL, and said to themselves, "Yeah, we need a closer!"

Then, before the lockout, they looked at those numbers AGAIN, and said to themselves, "Yeah, we need another RP!"

They then had 99 fucking days to fully study, absorb, and comprehend those numbers. After the lockout, they once again looked at those numbers, and they then told themselves, "Yeah, we need another RP!"

Look, I know you don't want to ever criticize RH, because he's such a fucking genius. But, I'm just gonna reiterate what I thought back at the TDL. That MAYBE, just MAYBE, they overvalue RPs.

They are good at 7 out of 9 positions.

Pitching should always take priority, especially when their lineup is in good shape.

25 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The scrubs are having the offseason that I had hoped the SOX to have.

Yes, Jack there are questions with Villar's glove. But when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel for 2B talent, they could have gone for a glove, or for a LHH/SH bat.

Given last year's OPS by SOX 2Bmen, I would have rolled dice on a LHH/SH 2B.

Instead, they went for "energy," or whateverthefuck Grampian Josh has.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Pitching should always take priority, especially when their lineup is in good shape.

Yeah, you (and more importantly, RH) are wrong. They could and should have addressed the holes in the everyday lineup first.

And though I agree that pitching is a priority, it should have behooved them to get a better SP, rather than a fuckton of RPs.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

One of the pitchers they signed hasn't thrown off a mound for almost 5 months, the other is known more for his defense in LF than his presence on the mound. What could possibly go wrong? How come they can't get a back up catcher?

Just now, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, you (and more importantly, RH) are wrong. They could and should have addressed the holes in the everyday lineup first.

And though I agree that pitching is a priority, it should have behooved them to get a better SP, rather than a fuckton of RPs.

Depends on the market for SP. If they devote all their resources to one spot, that will leave holes elsewhere.

I can't pretend to know the market for all of the pitchers but pitching should be the priority .

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

Jeez...so Tampa Bay was right there with the Dodgers...couldn't imagine signing with TB, and playing in that hell hole.

Dollars are actually close when to take income taxes into account.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

One of the pitchers they signed hasn't thrown off a mound for almost 5 months, the other is known more for his defense in LF than his presence on the mound. What could possibly go wrong? How come they can't get a back up catcher?

I'm not saying I agree with which pitchers they chose, as I don't know the market. However, I agree with the idea.

Who says they aren't going g to get a backup catcher?

Just now, ptatc said:

I'm not saying I agree with which pitchers they chose, as I don't know the market. However, I agree with the idea.

Who says they aren't going g to get a backup catcher?

I don't know, but you would think you would want one getting used to your pitchers asap.

In my opinion, Rick and Kenny misread the market badly before the lockout, and either were too stubborn, or too broke to fix it during the lockout.

11 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jack, I think you need to realize this team is awesome despite a shitty farm system and few impactful free agent signings.  For at least the next three seasons, we should be able to overcome the mistakes of our ownership group and front office and be one of the best teams in baseball.  Hopefully Conforto plus a starting pitcher is still coming though.

I can get in this mindset if the bolded becomes true.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

If Colas and/or Cespedes become average everyday regulars in the bigs, that is a huge win.  They should be counted on for absolutely nothing.  Neither of these guys are even top 100 prospects.  

I feel like this should be pinned to every thread. 

This. Counting on them to be the missing pieces is somewhat risky. When will they be ready to break camp with the active roster and be able to contribute meaningfully when the rest of the team ages and gets out out of contracts?

1 hour ago, quickman said:

But what assets do we really have to trade at the deadline even for a real good rental? Our minor league system is really bad and if we cant swing deals now for a one year pitcher why would we be able to swing for deals later when more teams will be fighting for playoff spots and they have better systems to deal from. The sox are at their highest payroll in their history now and re probably two players away from really being a world series contender with no minor league prospects that many teams care about. Not arguing at all but we gave up two players from our current roster last year at the deadline. 

It makes more sense to check off the needs now when it will just take cash and a pick for Conforto and a creative trade with Oakland rather than wait for the deadline and get in a bidding war then (even though they might be in one of those with Oakland’s pitchers now).

Just now, Dick Allen said:

I don't know, but you would think you would want one getting used to your pitchers asap.

In my opinion, Rick and Kenny misread the market badly before the lockout, and either were too stubborn, or too broke to fix it during the lockout.

They may have. But I still don't disagree with the focus on pitching. Will find out if they signed the right  ones.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They may have. But I still don't disagree with the focus on pitching. Will find out if they signed the right  ones.

They had to because they lost Rodon. I'm sure they were still thinking they might have a shot at him at a reduced rate.