Suzuki to Cubs/5 years

Kyyle23

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Heyward must be available. Many of the GMs on this board who chided RH last year when he signed Eaton, wanted the Sox to get Heyward. He's even cheaper now.

I am stills trying to understand  how signing another outfielder reconciles with Hahn’s self imposed mandate to get ML ABs for Vaughn and Sheets. I don’t see it happening just based on Hahnspeak.

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Kosuke Fukudome 2.0

Yeah, no.

Fukudome was not only 30 years old, but did not have nearly the star power that Suzuki does now. Fukudome also came pre-injured, with an elbow surgery before the scrubs got him. Suzuki is only 27, is healthy, and is, since Ichiro, probably the 2nd best player to come over after Ohtani. 

Sure, Suzuki might bust, as any FA can bust. But his offense profiles like Matsui, and his defense profiles like a gold glover. He would have been a great get for the SOX.

But we'll be lucky to get Pederson at this point. Kenny Williams always gets his man.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Haha 1

The Fukodome comps are lazy imo. This guy is three years younger and that is the key difference. Fukodome was a good player until his body started to give out on him after a few years in MLB. It's really hard to transition as a player at that age not only culturally but physically. You're taking a giant step in level just as your body is starting to bark at you more. 

From what I read on Fangraphs this guy has a chance to be an impact defender and slash like 270/320/430, in today's MLB that's a 2.5 maybe 3 WAR corner OF.

Did they overpay? Possibly, but that's the price you pay to acquire talent in FA.

26 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, no.

Fukudome was not only 30 years old, but did not have nearly the star power that Suzuki does now. Fukudome also came pre-injured, with an elbow surgery before the scrubs got him. Suzuki is only 27, is healthy, and is, since Ichiro, probably the 2nd best player to come over after Ohtani. 

Sure, Suzuki might bust, as any FA can bust. But his offense profiles like Matsui, and his defense profiles like a gold glover. He would have been a great get for the SOX.

But we'll be lucky to get Pederson at this point. Kenny Williams always gets his man.

Peak Matsui with a gold glove is literally a top 10 player in MLB. NOT ONE comp was even close to that from anyone including this Fangraphs article

Edited by EloyJenkins

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

matsui with a gold glove is literally a top 10 player in MLB. NOT ONE comp was even close to that from anyone including this Fangraphs article

Ok, are we agreed that Suzuki's bat profiles to be Matsui? I'd think so.

But, in reading the Fangraphs article, they profile him to be below-average with the glove. However, Suzuki, after having changed from 3B/SS earlier in his career, won 3 NPB gold gloves.

I think Fangraphs is too negative with this assessment, given that defense should translate more easily from NPB to MLB.

And yes, I'm imparting my opinion on his glove, but I believe the potential is clearly there at 27 years old. And thats one reason why I favored him being here.

44 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, no.

I feel like people forget how insane the expectations that were placed on Matsui were.  That he would essentially be the next Ichiro.  He was a very good player but I think he was dinged because he failed to hit expectations that were ridiculous.

I also would argue that Pederson is more valuable to the White Sox than Suzuki.  Like there is a serious issue with the lack of left handed pop.  It's one thing if it's Castellanos who is a proven commodity, I'm more amenable to getting a right handed hitter.   I just don't think it's worth shelling out that kind of cash on someone who has never played a MLB game to a player who doesn't really help the White Sox right now. 

11 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I feel like people forget how insane the expectations that were placed on Matsui were.  That he would essentially be the next Ichiro.  He was a very good player but I think he was dinged because he failed to hit expectations that were ridiculous.

I also would argue that Pederson is more valuable to the White Sox than Suzuki.  Like there is a serious issue with the lack of left handed pop. 

Couple things on that:

When Matsui came over, there wasn't as much focus on statistical analysis and comparison to others. Looking at Matsui v Suzuki, you'd subtract .010 off the slugging, but add .010 to the OBP to go from Matsui's NPB numbers to Suzuki's. So yeah, Suzuki projects to be Matsui; people were HOPING for Matsui to be Ichiro, but they honestly had no fucking idea, TBH.

On the LH pop thing, we've already covered this. The SOX were 6th in wRC+ v RHP last season. The difference between the SOX's 108 wRC+ v RHP and the 2nd place wRC+ of 111 was marginal. Yes, there is "a need," but it is not at all a "serious issue."

So, if Suzuki replicates his NPB gold gloves over here, he's probably a ~1.5 to 2-ish fWAR player, assuming he can hit an Adam Eaton-like 80 wRC+. If he's ANYTHING AT ALL like his ZIPs projection, he's a 3 fWAR player or more.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

21 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, no.

It is St Patty's day and our luck ran out. Joc heading west to join Carlos. 

I dunno...

Some posters saw the shitty defense, and 28th ranked OPS by this team's RFers from last year and actually want the same shit rolled out there again.

I've been on Suzuki’s side since he was posted. But if this FO didn't want to bother to do the homework on him, FFS, even Pederson would have been an upgrade. 

Now? WTF knows...