4/4- Sox at Cubs, 3:05, Marquee

flavum

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

This might be a conversation for a different thread, but a lot of the same arguments for why people are "disappointed" with Moncada, despite him still being very good, would also apply to Eloy. Except Yoan has been a *much* more productive player *and* hitter than Eloy over the last 3 seasons. I know we're all frustrated Eloy has had a ton of injury issues, but he's basically received a pass for his performance being below what most of us were expecting.

When Moncada goes through a rough stretch, threads get derailed into what we're seeing now... when Eloy goes through a rough stretch, there isn't 3 pages of discussion filled with people questioning how good Eloy is, what he's likely to produce going forward, etc etc.

Sure, but we always knew he was going to be pretty limited defensively...which absolutely kills his fWAR numbers.  He's always on verge of out of shape, has a lousy arm.  It's those five tool player, 30/30 expectations with Moncada.  Bigger than anything, I think his fun loving personality and constant smile make him a more difficult target compared to the seemingly nonchalant Moncada.  Plus, everything Moncada does comes with ease perception-wise.

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Moncada is signed through 2025. If he doesn't get any better and settles at 4.5 WAR average over 4 years, Moncada would have accumulated:

32.8 WAR in his time with the Sox.

Chris Sale accumulated 27.1 WAR in his tenure with the Sox.

If anyone expected more than 32.8 fWAR at the time of that trade they should have their head examined.

I’m not anti Moncada, I think he’s a very good player at a difficult position. But I remember when he was traded for everyone was raving how he was going to be a .300 hitter with 30 plus homeruns. I don’t anticipate he ever hits those numbers. 

13 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I’m not anti Moncada, I think he’s a very good player at a difficult position. But I remember when he was traded for everyone was raving how he was going to be a .300 hitter with 30 plus homeruns. I don’t anticipate he ever hits those numbers. 

Well, most players never do. I’m happy with the return for Sale. We got two solid players. 

29 minutes ago, pcq said:

Yoan is a low-key guy with relaxed body language which.does not make him a bad player. 

When he hits one in the gap, I love to see him run.  I also think many people don't appreciate how good a 3B he is defensively.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Same. 

The Sox got their best players elsewhere, whether with signing Robert or other trades. 

Yup, and a lot that of that was because we decided to trade Sale and do this thing. It was a good trade and the right call. 

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

He can still be close to a .300 hitter with his eye.  30 homers might never happen at this point though I agree. 

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Moncada is signed through 2025. If he doesn't get any better and settles at 4.5 WAR average over 4 years, Moncada would have accumulated:

32.8 WAR in his time with the Sox.

Chris Sale accumulated 27.1 WAR in his tenure with the Sox.

If anyone expected more than 32.8 fWAR at the time of that trade they should have their head examined.

Maybe I should have my head examined because I expected both Moncada and Kopech to put up that kind of WAR each with the Sox. 

Was very high on both playputers. 

I thought Kopech could put up 27 WAR in his time with the Sox by himself if he stayed healthy(he hasn't) 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I wonder if Madrigal does something dumb on the base paths today.  Or short arms one to 1st.

No all the so-called singles hitter did was hit a 3 run homer.

It was a terrible trade when it was made and now it's even worse.

Edited by GradMc

9 minutes ago, GradMc said:

No all the so-called singles hitter did was hit a 3 run homer.

It was a terrible trade when it was made and now it's even worse.

We’ll see if he can stay healthy.  AZ tends to transform lots of easy fly outs into homers, too.