The Grandal-Zavala-McGuire Conundrum

ron883

Seby is the every day catcher now, McGuire is gone especially if Zavala keeps being respectable.

McGuire is playing less than Zavala now and here is another point of contention with the organization.  Tony likes Seby more than McGuire and Grandal was obviously playing injured all season and the reason why McGuire was getting more opportunities prior to Seby coming back.

I think McGuire slips through waivers. 

19 hours ago, ron883 said:

Zavala has been swinging the hot stick lately. McGuire has been himself, which isn't anything special. Grandal will be returning in the near future most likely. Zavala and McGuire don't have any options left. Who the heck do you keep?

Release McGuire. Easy call. He's terrible.

And in retrospect, trading Collins (who may be able to hit) for McGuire was silly.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Release McGuire. Easy call. He's terrible.

And in retrospect, trading Collins (who may be able to hit) for McGuire was silly.

McGuire is on pace for a 1 WAR season almost entirely due to his defense. Other teams will always trade scraps to cover their backup catcher role if they need one. I’d guess he could be traded away for some scraps somewhere.

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

In the world of MLB baseball he's bad.  Compared to every person on the planet, he's really, really, good. I also wonder how he would do with a steady on field and batting order positions. 

Where I really appreciate the guy is there are probably a few thousand people on the planet with better physical attributes. There are probably a few thousand people on the planet with baseball skills comparable to his. He has made a career by literally being willing to do most anything to stay on a roster. Iirc he's even given up 28 a couple times. 

He'll play any position, bat anywhere in the order, and gives 100% each time. He has to know he's being put in positions that the odds of him being successful are low, but never complains publicly, he just goes out and tries his best on every play. 

Like I said, I wish he had better physical abilities or we could graft his attitude and work ethic on a few guys. People boo him when they really want to boo JR, the front office, and Tony. 

Blind people probably wonder the same thing.   He's not good.

You can't take away that he works hard but is limited.  

He's not good at baseball no matter how much one tries to think otherwise.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

McGuire is on pace for a 1 WAR season almost entirely due to his defense. Other teams will always trade scraps to cover their backup catcher role if they need one. I’d guess he could be traded away for some scraps somewhere.

No shortage here.  It could be worse and still have Collins. 

20 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Yaz looked pretty cooked before the IL stint to me.  

He looked cooked early last season, too.  Went on the IL, came back, and tore it up for the rest of the season when he was finally feeling healthy.  

When you've got bad legs or a bad back, catching up to fastballs becomes infinitely more difficult to do, which leads to guessing pitches instead of pitch recognition, which leads to a poorer eye, poorer contact, less power, and looking like a non-MLB hitter.  Look at Yoan...while not producing at the level we'd like yet, his hacks look so much healthier now than before he went on the IL.  

I think Yaz is going to come back and be an impact bat.  He's too good of a hitter with too good of an eye to just fall of a cliff the way he did.  Seby gets sent packing.  

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What?

McGuire can't hit.
Zavala plays the position fine and can hit a bit.  Well he has so far,  and he was having a monster year in Charlotte.  And with 2 utility level hitters inserted into the lineup most nights, they can't giveaway a 3rd spot in the lineup on a regular basis.
Either of these catchers will be claimed when cut.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

McGuire can't hit.
Zavala plays the position fine and can hit a bit.  Well he has so far,  and he was having a monster year in Charlotte.  And with 2 utility level hitters inserted into the lineup most nights, they can't giveaway a 3rd spot in the lineup on a regular basis.
Either of these catchers will be claimed when cut.

Lol Collins sucks balls at catching and is hitting about a .150 in 150 PA between AAA and the majors this year. McGuire is nothing special, but he is at least a solid to above average catcher which this team needs. It was a good trash for trash trade for the Sox.