Chris Sale?

he gone.

First reaction - what the Hell Chris?

Second answer - if this were 2019 I might think about it, but right now my count has the White Sox already close to or above $165 million in payroll next year, counting arbitration guys and assuming they let Harrison, Cueto, and Abreu all walk. Their payroll this year is $190 million and that sure seems like a number they would be hard pressed to push past. Adding Sale not only pushes them past their 2022 payroll, but it also leaves them literally no money to improve anywhere else, including even keeping Abreu. No LH bats added not currently in the org.

Unless they can subtract serious money in the process, this is not workable. Grandal and Leury for Sale?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

First reaction - what the Hell Chris?

Second answer - if this were 2019 I might think about it, but right now my count has the White Sox already close to or above $165 million in payroll next year, counting arbitration guys and assuming they let Harrison, Cueto, and Abreu all walk. Their payroll this year is $190 million and that sure seems like a number they would be hard pressed to push past. Adding Sale not only pushes them past their 2022 payroll, but it also leaves them literally no money to improve anywhere else, including even keeping Abreu. No LH bats added not currently in the org.

Unless they can subtract serious money in the process, this is not workable. Grandal and Leury for Sale?

You really think he goes?  No QO (if there is one)?

33 minutes ago, he gone. said:

You're right. Thank god we didn't go after Verlander this offseason. Old, coming off TJS, yuck. 

Verlander pitches more innings every six weeks than Sale does in three seasons. 

Hell, most octogenarian bicyclists are more athletic and less injury prone than Chris Sale.

31 minutes ago, oldsox said:

You really think he goes?  No QO (if there is one)?

Not only does the qualifying offer not exist any more, but Abreu already was offered one so he couldn’t be offered another even if it did exist.

I have no real idea what will happen with Abreu this offseason. If he wants to come back I would guess he will be back both for team good will reasons and because they legitimately need his bat as one of the only effective ones in the lineup. But…they have very little to spend. If they kept Abreu at the same $20 million as this year, their additional spending would be a pittance. Abreu himself also seemed hesitant about any additional years early this spring, so I don’t know what he wants.

What I would say is…if they added $27 million next year for Sale, they would not likely have room for another $10-$20 million for Abreu.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Verlander pitches more innings every six weeks than Sale does in three seasons. 

Hell, most octogenarian bicyclists are more athletic and less injury prone than Chris Sale.

Sale once moved to rotation by Sox pitched:

192ip, 214ip, 174ip, 208, 226, 214, 158, 147ip. That equals 2012-2019. 175ip per year over 8 years. Then TJS. This year has been nothing structural, just some weird injuries - not really going to hold any of it against him this year. 

Verlander has had one TJS too, so we'll take that out of the equation. 

We can take the last 8 years of Verlander too? He pitched:

223ip, 214ip, 206ip, 227ip, 133ip, 206ip, 218ip, 238ip for an average 208IP. He's obviously a beast. 

The idea that Sale is fragile is a bit of a misnomer. he's not verlander, but he's also not Mr. Glass. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, he gone. said:

192ip, 214ip, 174ip, 208, 226, 214, 158, 147ip. That equals 2012-2019. 175ip per year over 8 years. Then TJS. This year has been nothing structural, just some weird injuries - not really going to hold any of it against him this year. 

223ip, 214ip, 206ip, 227ip, 133ip, 206ip, 218ip, 238ip for an average 208IP. He's obviously a beast. 

The idea that Sale is fragile is a bit of a misnomer. he's not verlander, but he's also not Mr. Glass. 

Grandal, Keuchel, Steak. approaching or past mid-30s. Sale 34 next year. The hardest of hard passes at that salary.

Verlander is the exception, not the rule.

59 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Grandal, Keuchel, Steak. approaching or past mid-30s. Sale 34 next year. The hardest of hard passes at that salary.

Verlander is the exception, not the rule.

Betting that Chris Sale is Justin Verlander is how the Red Sox still owe him $75 million.  The Red Sox might be able to make that kind of mistake with their payroll, but the White Sox can't afford that risk.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

From posters or Kenny Williams? Because he's the stooge who always has to sign his favorite players even 5 years past their prime

Yea he does; Hahn likes them over the hill too; everybody has their soft-spots.
I probably should take it it easy here.  Sale is a hall-of-fame talent.  It wouldn't be like signing an over-the-hill Darin Erstad.

14 hours ago, he gone. said:

And you expect the White Sox to take on how much additional salary when they will already be maxxed out signing Abreu?

Where are you going to cut to fit that money in?  Hendriks and/or Graveman?   Who else?

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

And you expect the White Sox to take on how much additional salary when they will already be maxxed out signing Abreu?

Where are you going to cut to fit that money in?  Hendriks and/or Graveman?   Who else?

I'm not the money man haha. JR has it, it's up to him if he wants to go for a title or just piddle around as a AL Central champion who goes home in the ALDS every year. This team as currently constructed is a MN Twins playoff team. 

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

I'm not the money man haha. JR has it, it's up to him if he wants to go for a title or just piddle around as a AL Central champion who goes home in the ALDS every year. This team as currently constructed is a MN Twins playoff team. 

Jerry provided $200M, more than enough to field a 90-95 win team playing just short of half their games against the AL Central. It's totally on Hahn and Tony this season beyond the fact it's on Jerry that both of these people are with the team in 2022.

The MLB reverts to a balanced schedule in 2023, it will only get much harder from here on out.

Edited by South Side Hit Men