Jump to content

Halloween as a kid vs. Halloween as an adult


Iwritecode
 Share

Halloween as a kid vs. Halloween as an adult  

15 members have voted

  1. 1. Which is better?



Recommended Posts

Saw a Youtube video discussing this and was curious what the consensus was.

For me Halloween as a kid was better and it’s not even close.

Not even just Halloween night where we were allowed to go out with our friends at night, dressed up in a costume we had spent weeks if not months thinking about and preparing, knocking on random strangers doors and obtaining copious amounts of candy.

If it fell on a school day it was fun because we used to be able to wear our costumes to school. When I was in grade school they even had a parade where we all got to go outside in our costumes and see what everyone else was wearing. I’m pretty sure the schools in our district stopped having any kind of holiday parties/celebrations when my youngest was in grade school.

I loved going to the stores and browsing through all the decorations and costumes. I loved going to our local Pumpkin Patch and Apple Orchard and picking out the perfect pumpkin to take home and carve out. The Pumpkin Patch always had an amazing array of Halloween masks and other costumes. Spencer’s did as well. The Apple Orchard always had a corn maze and a playground and the best apple cider donuts I’ve ever eaten.

I loved getting all the decorations out of storage and putting them up all over the house.

My birthday is 10 days before Halloween so we would always get a group of my friends and family and visit all the haunted houses in town before coming home for cake and presents.

Then TV specials like Charlie Brown or Garfield. Even the TV sitcoms that did Halloween episodes like Rosanne or Home Improvement. Plus all the general horror movies that were out. Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St., etc…

 

As an adult Halloween is still fun but not nearly what it used to be. It’s more work now. Getting the decorations out seems more like a chore now. My kids are too old to go out trick-or-treating now so I can’t even relive my memories through them anymore.

The Pumpkin Patch is a shell of what it used to be and there are barely any haunted houses in my town any more. I think there may be 2 near me. When I was a kid there was a minimum of 5 every single year.

I haven’t actually bought and carved a pumpkin in years.

I’m not really a bar-goer so dressing up in a costume and going out for a night of drinking isn’t really my thing either.

I still look forward to the TV shows/movies when I can catch them but I’ve usually got so much other stuff going on that I usually miss them.

So for me, it was 1000X better as a kid vs. what it is today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

Saw a Youtube video discussing this and was curious what the consensus was.

For me Halloween as a kid was better and it’s not even close.

Not even just Halloween night where we were allowed to go out with our friends at night, dressed up in a costume we had spent weeks if not months thinking about and preparing, knocking on random strangers doors and obtaining copious amounts of candy.

If it fell on a school day it was fun because we used to be able to wear our costumes to school. When I was in grade school they even had a parade where we all got to go outside in our costumes and see what everyone else was wearing. I’m pretty sure the schools in our district stopped having any kind of holiday parties/celebrations when my youngest was in grade school.

I loved going to the stores and browsing through all the decorations and costumes. I loved going to our local Pumpkin Patch and Apple Orchard and picking out the perfect pumpkin to take home and carve out. The Pumpkin Patch always had an amazing array of Halloween masks and other costumes. Spencer’s did as well. The Apple Orchard always had a corn maze and a playground and the best apple cider donuts I’ve ever eaten.

I loved getting all the decorations out of storage and putting them up all over the house.

My birthday is 10 days before Halloween so we would always get a group of my friends and family and visit all the haunted houses in town before coming home for cake and presents.

Then TV specials like Charlie Brown or Garfield. Even the TV sitcoms that did Halloween episodes like Rosanne or Home Improvement. Plus all the general horror movies that were out. Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St., etc…

 

As an adult Halloween is still fun but not nearly what it used to be. It’s more work now. Getting the decorations out seems more like a chore now. My kids are too old to go out trick-or-treating now so I can’t even relive my memories through them anymore.

The Pumpkin Patch is a shell of what it used to be and there are barely any haunted houses in my town any more. I think there may be 2 near me. When I was a kid there was a minimum of 5 every single year.

I haven’t actually bought and carved a pumpkin in years.

I’m not really a bar-goer so dressing up in a costume and going out for a night of drinking isn’t really my thing either.

I still look forward to the TV shows/movies when I can catch them but I’ve usually got so much other stuff going on that I usually miss them.

So for me, it was 1000X better as a kid vs. what it is today.

I usually have a couple of friends that host Halloween parties throughout the month on different weekends so it's fun to dress up and see people you haven't seen in a while.

Not sure where you live but there are still some good haunted houses around. I'm checking out Hell's Gate in Lockport on Saturday. 

I don't have kids yet but when I do it will definitely be fun to take them around.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As an adult I am amused at the houses that go all out decorating for halloween mostly because I know that they are gonna have to get that stuff down very early in November or it is going to look really ridiculous.  You can get away with Christmas decorations after 12/25 but if you have skeletons and grave stones on your lawn after 11/2 that looks weird.  With that being said, I must give props to a guy down the street who used to put a ring of ghosts around a tree in front of his house.  Then on November 1st, he would put Santa Hats on the ghosts and leave them out until the New Year.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been so damn busy lately that I haven't even touched my Halloween decorations at all this year. I've got a million and one things going on with my life and barely seem to have an hour to myself much less an entire day or a weekend. Which would be the amount of time it would take to put it all up.

I'm doubting that we'll even give out candy this year because we have 2 dogs that bark anytime someone comes to the door. 

The only way it would happen is if we sit outside in the driveway or something. And I'm not sure it'll be worth sitting in the 50 degree weather for the dozen or so kids that might show up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, scs787 said:

My fiancee and her ex still insist on going trick or treating together every year soooooo, it sucks for me. Nothing going on between the 2 but it's still no fun. 

Like with there kid or just with each other? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Like with there kid or just with each other? 

With their kid. It's normal, and we are cordial but oof. The guys a real piece of work and it just makes for an uncomfortable experience.  Me and her are big on Halloween and she made the deal so we didn't have to miss out. In return we just give him Christmas every year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, scs787 said:

With their kid. It's normal, and we are cordial but oof. The guys a real piece of work and it just makes for an uncomfortable experience.  Me and her are big on Halloween and she made the deal so we didn't have to miss out. In return we just give him Christmas every year.

Her ex husband with whom she has kids makes much more sense than the two adult ex boyfriend/girlfriend going trick or treating.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For years I was bored of Halloween as an adult but now it's fun again for me. We moved to St. Charles a year ago where they have a decorating competition and the level that these houses go to for decorations is unbelievable here. Several houses are better than paid attractions.

I also enjoy giving parents jello shots and beer for their treat during trick or treating.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This needs three options:

  • As a kid.
  • As an adult without kids.
  • As an adult with kids.

Cause adult Halloween parties  >>>>>>>>>>>>> trick or treating, because they're one of the few times it seems everyone is just goofing around (if you have the right group of friends).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, knightni said:

The kids and I  hit up about 7 trunk or treats over the last week or so.

We already have so much candy that they don't have to slog in the rain tonight if they don't want to.

 

I have noticed that the neighborhood stuff is way down in numbers, and am wondering if that is why.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have noticed that the neighborhood stuff is way down in numbers, and am wondering if that is why.

It's definitely why. The past few years that we did pass out candy I don't know that we had more than a dozen kids stop.

I keep seeing a lot of posts on FB that say something like "I so glad I grew up like this and not like this" and shows pictures of kids trick or treating in a neighborhood vs. doing the trunk or treat thing.

I get the appeal of the trunk or treat. Our kids did both. It's safer and faster. But it's still not the same as going door to door throughout the neighborhood on Halloween night vs. doing it in a parking lot at noon on some Saturday before Halloween.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a kindergartner who sleeps at 7:30  at night and I'd prefer he not be out walking in the dark with older kids and cars. 

We'll be out for about a half hour tonight, but once it gets dark, we're heading home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it was 1983 or 82, i just moved back from SoCal to where I am now, I went out and bought a TON of Reeses P butter cups in anticipation of Halloween, anyway I sat home that night and waited but IIRC it stormed and rained cats & dogs and I didnt get even one trick or treater that PM. I was so disappointed, back then even though I was into competiive bodybuilding, I got depressed and at about 8PM i said F it and proceeded to smoke a bowl, got the munchies and must have ate 30 Reeses cups and went to bed. My blood sugars must have been thru the roof :)

 

I vote more fun as a kid

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, scs787 said:

With their kid. It's normal, and we are cordial but oof. The guys a real piece of work and it just makes for an uncomfortable experience.  Me and her are big on Halloween and she made the deal so we didn't have to miss out. In return we just give him Christmas every year.

Very important follow-up lol. Thought they were like those disney adults.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...