Not to beat a dead horse

Jnooch

I know its been talked about for over a year; but is signing Leury Garcia to a 3 yr./ 16.5 million dollar contract a fireable offense. I didnt dream 

this up this morning …. Ive been pounding the table since the day it was signed. Why 3 years?….Hanh or whoever authorized this should be held accountable!

• Like 2

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

The Leury Garcia deal - while bad - is so overplayed by Sox fans.  $5M AAV in literally micenuts for an MLB org.  We're talking about like 3% of the payroll.  

The issue is you have a guaranteed contract for a role and production that is easily turned over, locking him into the roster, rather than having the option of cheaply replacing him with a potentially better player. He was literally the worst player in baseball last year. If they had signed him for one year 5.5 million, it wouldn’t have been that big of deal. Now we’re stuck with him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Owners were splashing money prior to the CBA negotiations.  Several of the deals felt like good faith olive branches to me. One of the last contracts, right at the wire was Leury's. 

Jerry's idea of impressing the union was giving a journeyman utility player an extra year or two.  Kind of humorous.

The money should have gone to an Abreu extension... and I think that not getting done was the end of the relationship.

But alas, nothing to see here in my opinion.  I personally don't count Leury's money against any pseudo budget calculations.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Texsox said:

Literally last off season people were arguing for higher paychecks for players. At 5 mil a year he's at what the minimum salary should be unless you want owners to make insane profits. 

Leury had a .500 ops last year. That’s the kind of production that pays to get off the roster. 200k may be entry pay for an aeronautical engineer but that doesn’t mean they’ve got to pay me that, seeing as I don’t qualify and all

• Like 1