Billy Hamilton to Sox as NRI, minor league deal per Merkin

Heads22

I thought about Billy for my 26 man roster , but the problem is with 2 Cs (10 spots with the starting nine) plus Burger (1B/3B) and Leury (2B/SS) and Colas being a rookie, and Robert almost as fragile as Eloy, you are going to want someone who can provide an acceptable bat if they need to play several weeks due to a substantial injury. Billy can still can be a Plan B or C if something bad happens in Spring Training.

Billy Hamilton is great if he is your 26th man / 5th OF, when you have roster flexibility of 3-6 players to cover 2-3 + spots on the diamond. You'd be able to mix and match lineups. Sadly, the Sox don't have that flexibility beyond Leury, and they still don't have a credible starting 2B.

Drury is the best available FA at this stage who adequately cover multiple INF positions. It sucks they locked up tens of millions on absolute horseshit in terms of the bullpen plus Leury's expensive deal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

He was one of the worst players in the history of baseball last year, but he’s a useful bench player if he can hit like he did prior to last year. 

(And if the manager uses him properly)

He has one of the worst seasons in MLB history. "He's a special player" - TLR. I'll never get Tony's infatuation with Leury. 

f*** Leury. Let him get his own thread.

This thread is a celebration of Billy's return to the team. Can some of y'all try and act like you know?

Great signing.

Some of you might be surprised by this, but I am a fan of Billy Hamilton. Ever since I watched him with the Royals. He sure looks great in a Sox uniform.

Billy so fast, he can hit the light switch and be in bed before the room get dark.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

Where on the roster is there room for Billy Hamilton? Also, is there so little depth in the Sox minors that Hamilton is going to play every day at Charlotte? 

They did lose some guys to minor league free agency (Rutherford, Adolfo). Plus Colas will be promoted. Then Haseley, Payton, Hamilton, Sheets (assuming he’s not on MLB roster in some way for minor league depth).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I think Haseley opted for FA as well.  Their AAA outfield is Cespedes, Payton, and ???.  Maybe they resign Neslony?

He was just out-righted off the 40-man. Don’t think he had enough service time to opt for free agency. You might be thinking of Payton since they were both out righted at same time.