19 Bally RSN's going bankrupt, 14 MLB teams potentially affected

caulfield12

Biggest messes

Washington vs. Orioles dispute (see article)

Pittsburgh and Colorado (see article)

Cleveland, Cincy, Minnesota and AZ (Bally group, about to miss payment)

Then you have the Astros (see article) and Rangers (last of Bally unpaid teams with deadline looming)...who should get resolved somehow.

Basically leaving that core group of six troubled RSN situations (four in the two weaker Central divisions)  and then finally resolving the ongoing Wash vs. Baltimore fiasco

https://baltimoresportsandlife.com/which-mlb-teams-should-feel-best-and-worst-about-their-rsn-situations/

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bally-sports-mlb-files-emergency-192743536.html

https://theathletic.com/4385805/2023/04/05/mlb-diamond-sports-bankruptcy-twins-guardians/

Fwiw, Twins in the last year of their deal...expiring contract, so the Reds, Guardians, DBacks will be the real-time testing ground for what happens next in the MLB/Bally/Diamond/Sinclair streaming wars.

Edited by caulfield12

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

NBA announced today that all Suns and Mystics games will be available on "free" over the air-TV starting with the WNBA games this summer. They'll also be streamed.

Sports may be going back to their broadcast roots.

Jerry doesn’t have a long term mindset, but the next owner should dedicate at minimum each Saturday or Sunday game each week on over the air television (WGN would be my choice).

This would give exposure to the team that no other local teams currently provide (NFL/Bears leaving soon). M

I don’t know how free TV rights for Spanish Broadcasts would impact their CSN deal, but if they aired 40-60 games on 44/60, you can help grow the Spanish speaking market, and folks can also watch in Spanish or mute and follow on radio.

The Sox lost generations of fans in the 1980s with their ill fated move to SportsVision. They can start regaining their market share of fans back over time with smart forward thinking marketing and broadcast decisions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.startribune.com/diamond-sports-bally-sports-north-pay-full-value-minnesota-twins-judge-ruling-verdict-tv-rights/600279539/

A federal bankruptcy judge has ordered Diamond Sports to pay the full value of its media contracts to the Arizona Diamondbacks, Cleveland Guardians, Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers.

Judge Christopher Lopez made the ruling on Thursday in Houston. Diamond Sports, which owns 19 networks under the Bally Sports banner, has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings in the Southern District of Texas since it filed in March. Diamond said in a financial filing last fall it had debt of $8.67 billion.

In April, the judge ruled Diamond to pay half of what the teams were owed in rights fees.

''I think the contract rate is the right answer here,'' said Lopez in using his decision after two marathon days of testimony.

The decision is another chapter in what has been a contentious week in the strained relationship between MLB and Diamond Sports.

On Tuesday, the last San Diego Padres game was aired on Bally Sports San Diego after Diamond Sports missed a rights payment fee and let the grace period expire.

MLB took over production of Padres' telecasts, beginning with Wednesday's game at the Miami Marlins.

https://news.yahoo.com/judge-rules-owner-bally-sports-012200320.html

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Thanks for posting this, I've been very conspiratorially-minded after learning about Bally's bankruptcy considering that Reinsdorf had this partnership with them and that it's based out of the United Center. I assumed he lost money and that it would negatively impact the team.  I guess we'll see what happens, the other thing I find very odd (and unethical) is that NBA reporter Shams Charania is part of this enterprise. How can you be considered a "journalist" and literally be on the payroll of one of the owners you're supposed to report on? This whole thing seems very shady to me. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Thanks for posting this, I've been very conspiratorially-minded after learning about Bally's bankruptcy considering that Reinsdorf had this partnership with them and that it's based out of the United Center. I assumed he lost money and that it would negatively impact the team.  I guess we'll see what happens, the other thing I find very odd (and unethical) is that NBA reporter Shams Charania is part of this enterprise. How can you be considered a "journalist" and literally be on the payroll of one of the owners you're supposed to report on? This whole thing seems very shady to me. 

The whole thing basically comes down to (with Bally/Sinclair) the fact that MLB wasn't willing to give up the most valuable streaming rights (which were never part of the original deals)....the carriers simply decided it wasn't profitable enough with all the cable cord cutting, so they simply decided upon a preemptive renegotiating tactic (not paying the most disadvantageous rights fees) that's proving to be highly non-successful, at least so far.

As time goes by, MLB will start to consolidate and control almost all the rights in one place...giving that growing collection of teams under MLB.tv even more bargaining power in the end (not unlike insurance risk pools in reverse).

For the next 2-3 years, some teams might come out behind, but it all will balance out in the end.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:34 AM, caulfield12 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mlb-files-emergency-motion-could-155030526.html

Bally is hearing now that 2-3 teams being left out to dry will be attacked by MLB as an invalidation on all the Bally deals collectively and essentially leave nearly 1/2 the MLB streaming rights within their potential grasp of Manfred's claws.

Do you think JR buying controlling interest of Stadium Network was just a coincidence ?

The Regional Sports Network model is being re-evaluated and ComCast's rights for Bulls, Hawks and Sox expires in Oct. 2024. Reinsdorf probably will put the Bulls and Sox on Stadium and could even expand nationally. He'll certainly try to get the Hawks on Stadium too since they will be an up and coming team soon once they build a team around Connor Bedard and Marquee couldn't get them. It sure helps that Stadium's home is in the United Center.

I wonder what he's thinking and how he's going to screw it up.

Didnt he screw up the Sox television appearances when he took them off WGN back in the day and put them on Channel 44 ?

I don't know his whole history dabbling with television. I don't think whatever he did was very smart or good for the Sox though.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do you think JR buying controlling interest of Stadium Network was just a coincidence ?

The Regional Sports Network model is being re-evaluated and ComCast's rights for Bulls, Hawks and Sox expires in Oct. 2024. Reinsdorf probably will put the Bulls and Sox on Stadium and could even expand nationally. He'll certainly try to get the Hawks on Stadium too since they will be an up and coming team soon once they build a team around Connor Bedard and Marquee couldn't get them. It sure helps that Stadium's home is in the United Center.

I wonder what he's thinking and how he's going to screw it up.

Didnt he screw up the Sox television appearances when he took them off WGN back in the day and put them on Channel 44 ?

I don't know his whole history dabbling with television. I don't think whatever he did was very smart or good for the Sox though.

JR wasn't around in 1967 when Art Allyn took them off WGN after that season to take them to the new WFLD-TV.

It was Eddie Einhorn who was the driving force behind SportsVision.

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

JR wasn't around in 1967 when Art Allyn took them off WGN after that season to take them to the new WFLD-TV.

It was Eddie Einhorn who was the driving force behind SportsVision.

Wasn't the issue with the ill-conceived sports vision was that most Chicagoland was not hooked up with cable then? So the White Sox basically disappeared

3 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Wasn't the issue with the ill-conceived sports vision was that most Chicagoland was not hooked up with cable then? So the White Sox basically disappeared

That was part of it. I've written a detailed history of SportsVision for Dr. Fletcher's (Chili Dog MVP) next book which comes out next summer. The other factors were historical in nature and technological from a broadcast standpoint. 

Spoke with some of the folks who worked there. 

10 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

That was part of it. I've written a detailed history of SportsVision for Dr. Fletcher's (Chili Dog MVP) next book which comes out next summer. The other factors were historical in nature and technological from a broadcast standpoint. 

Spoke with some of the folks who worked there. 

Lip is this a book about the SOx or other subject?

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

Lip is this a book about the SOx or other subject?

The book is about the 1990o Sox team and the new stadium/issues with its construction. Have some sidebar chapters on things like SportsVision, Hawk's year as GM and how all that factored into the situation the Sox found themselves in, in the late 1980's.

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The book is about the 1990o Sox team and the new stadium/issues with its construction. Have some sidebar chapters on things like SportsVision, Hawk's year as GM and how all that factored into the situation the Sox found themselves in, in the late 1980's.

I'll put it on my amazon list for next yr assuming Im still earthbound :)

• Like 1