2023-24 NFL Season Thread

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is Nate Davis any good?  

I have a hard time with these but I feel like solid starter is what his rep is? I feel like the reputation of that titans line swung around a lot and not sure how much was just injuries.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Poles and LB: Hahn and relievers :)

In this case though - I don't know what Edmunds got - but it seems like in this market - he got a 2rounder for Roquan + we used that money to get 2 LB's (not saying either one is as good as Roquan - but there were points in time where people compared Edmund and Roquan).  

I haven't yet seen the $'s on Edmund, but in general - I like where he took value here. I still would like to see a bigger splash at tackle - but I get it if they end up addressing it in the draft. 

Is Whitehair gone or are they going to move him back to center?  Jenkins was obviously pretty good - but you can't deny fact you need a solid backup guard given he hasn't exactly been a model of good health.  

10 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is Nate Davis any good?  

He was the athletics 37th rated best fa this year, and second best guard behind Seumalo. Obviously, market picked Powers with a much higher deal (and i loved his pass blocking, probably why payton wanted him)

PFF had him at 70 last year with pretty equal pass blocking and run blocking.

PFF had dalton risner (broncos) along with seumalo ahead of him. not sure on powers, can't remember and its been down on and off all day.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

He was the athletics 37th rated best fa this year, and second best guard behind Seumalo. Obviously, market picked Powers with a much higher deal (and i loved his pass blocking, probably why payton wanted him)

PFF had him at 70 last year with pretty equal pass blocking and run blocking.

PFF had dalton risner (broncos) along with seumalo ahead of him. not sure on powers, can't remember and its been down on and off all day.

So seems like he was solid.  

I hope they have a plan for the defensive line. They've thrown 1/3 of their cap space at linebacker. The LB room is the best part of the defense now, but there are huge holes on the defensive line. If your line can't get pressure or stop runs, it really doesn't matter how good the rest of your defense is. 

They still have 40 million of cap space and more if they cut Whitehair. Hopefully they spend it on someone like Jones and an edge rusher. Then go and pick an OT at 9. 

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

They could had Roquan and Edwards for $26.5M AAV (and a high 2nd had they not wasted it on Claypool). Roquan has one more year with slightly higher guarantee. I don’t think at the end it makes material differences where you need burn bridges with a star player who’s building legacy with your franchise. Unless the coaching staff feels that Edwards could anchor the defense better than Roquan.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

They could had Roquan and Edwards for $26.5M AAV. Roquan has one more year with slightly higher guarantee. I don’t think at the end it makes material differences where you need burn bridges with a star player who’s building legacy with your franchise. Unless the coaching staff feels that Edwards could anchor the defense better than Roquan.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I hope they have a plan for the defensive line. They've thrown 1/3 of their cap space at linebacker. The LB room is the best part of the defense now, but there are huge holes on the defensive line. If your line can't get pressure or stop runs, it really doesn't matter how good the rest of your defense is. 

They still have 40 million of cap space and more if they cut Whitehair. Hopefully they spend it on someone like Jones and an edge rusher. Then go and pick an OT at 9. 

Love the Edwards signing but I would have prioritize DL/OL over Edmunds. They pretty much have to go after linemen with the first 3 picks.

7 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Love the Edwards signing but I would have prioritize DL/OL over Edmunds. They pretty much have to go after linemen with the first 3 picks.

I wonder if it comes down to how they viewed the free agent tackles. McGlinchey and Taylor are decent players, but they aren't elite. Edmunds is an elite linebacker, especially in coverage. Both of them got more money than Edmunds and there are still other options at tackle in FA and the draft. 

• Like 1

Just now, Quin said:

I would like to see Poles give "how to GM" seminars in Chicago.

Edit: Granted, he needs to like, win. But boy is he setting things up nicely.

i am reading apoplectic bears fans I wish I could read something else.

I was hoping we'd get this guy in phase 2. Looks like anyone whose shown some pressure ability is gonna find a team.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Hard to imagine Edmund fitting better than Roquan TBH. I’ve read that Eberflus wanted a playmaker and a turnover machine from this position and Edmunds is not that.

There has to be a reason Poles/FO showed basically zero interest in pursing Roquan with a new deal...