Moncada hurt during WBC

Heads22

6 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Moncada’s salary is completely irrelevant in the topic of whether or not he should be playing 3B over Jake fuckin Burger. 

Burger's best bet is if Vaughn is injured half the time. 

After years of witnessing horrid defense, wanting Burger to start at third over Yoán because of his bat makes my head hurt. Anything Jake would provide on offense would be entirely negated by his inability to play a moderately passable third base. For reference, Burger played 326 innings at third last year, which was roughly 38% of the number of innings Moncada covered (859.2). Burger in that time frame was a -5 DRS, -7 OAA, and -2.4 DRP (Moncada had a 2 DRS, 4 OAA, and a 8.3 DRP). If you couldn't tell, Jake's numbers are quite abysmal at the hot corner. Hell, Jake has even played more first than third in spring games. 

With that being said, Moncada HAS to improve his offense from last year (which I believe it will improve). Nobody will disagree or argue with that statement. But at this moment in time, this whole premise of benching or moving Yoán off third for Jake is wild stuff. 

Edited by Sleepy Harold
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

After years of witnessing horrid defense, wanting Burger to start at third over Yoán because of his bat makes my head hurt. Anything Jake would provide on offense would be entirely negated by his inability to play a moderately passable third base. For reference, Burger played 326 innings at third last year, which was roughly 38% of the number of innings Moncada covered (859.2). Burger in that time frame was a -5 DRS, -7 OAA, and -2.4 DRP (Moncada had a 2 DRS, 4 OAA, and a 8.3 DRP). If you couldn't tell, Jake's numbers are quite abysmal at the hot corner. Hell, Jake has even played more first than third in spring games. 

With that being said, Moncada HAS to improve his offense from last year (which I believe it will improve). Nobody will disagree or argue with that statement. But at this moment in time, this whole premise of benching or moving Yoán off third for Jake is wild stuff. 

I will go out on a limb and opine that the posters champing for Burger at 3rd  and or moving Moncada off 3rd do so for other than rational baseball reasons.  Both the eye test and the stats say that Moncada is quite good defensively, and that Burger isn’t just bad, he is abysmal at the hot corner.  We also don’t know if Burger’s bat or body hold up over a whole season at 3rd.  So the idea espoused by and argued for vehemently by a select few is not based in anything substantive or provable in the data.  It is both farcical and fantastical.  If Moncada is not the answer at 3rd, Jake Burger sure as hell isn’t either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pcq said:

Bruce has Moncada for MVP. Let's just sit back and let the man play. I am more concerned about Vaughn staying healthy. 

Concerned about everyone staying healthy tbh. If we do, we are the best team in the division. If not...will be a long, disappointing season.

• Like 1