2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

On 3/5/2024 at 6:57 PM, DirtySox said:

If we are throwing out names for comp picks/second rounders we like, I'm into these two so far. Strictly based on write-ups and one being an Iowa guy.

Too late Harold. I claimed him on the 5th.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I guess that trumps me posting about him on page 2 back in July. 😜

I'll make you a deal.  You can take Gillen and I'll take Curriel.  

Damn. I thought I was ahead of the curve for once.

For anyone else that is interested in Curiel.

64. Derek Curiel
OF

Ht: 6'2" | Wt: 175 | B-T: L-L

School: Orange (Calif.) Lutheran HS. Commit/Drafted: LSU

Age At Draft: 19.2

Curiel has an ease of operation to his game that stands out at the plate and in the field. He has a calm, balanced swing that’s quick, fluid and direct to the ball with good bat control and strike-zone discipline. His contact rate stacks up among the best in the 2024 class with good plate coverage and a knack for going with where the ball is pitched to use the whole field. Curiel has a wiry frame that he has started to add strength to, which has helped him generate more bat speed and extra-base damage at times. He’s still listed at 6-foot-2, 175 pounds and scouts do wonder how much physicality and strength he’ll pack on in the future, and therefore what his power upside might be. It’s his on-base skills that stand out more than his power, but he drives the ball well during BP, and there could be another uptick in power once he fills out and learns which pitches to try to drive for pull-side damage in the air. He’s been a plus runner in the past, but in the 2023 showcase season he more frequently turned in average run times from home to first. Curiel has above-average center field instincts and glides around the outfield with an easy stride, efficient routes and has an average, accurate arm. He is committed to LSU.

Edited by DirtySox

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I got to watch Cags today in person. He didn't have much command on his FB. Topped out at like 96. Mostly sat around 94. I feel like he threw it only 50% of the time today. Control wasn't great but he was throwing a nasty change-up at like 74 mph. Thing was fluttering and got a lot of swings and misses on it. Looks like he snapped off some nice sliders too. Maybe a curveball as well? I'm not totally sure what pitches he throws, just going off what I could tell from my angle.

Also this happened..... 😲

Was definitely thrown at, the next pitch he swung out of his shoes at an off-speed pitch and got laughed at by the LSU crowd. Then the next pitch he smashed a no-doubter oppo and razzed the crowd a bit. It was pretty great.

11 hours ago, DirtySox said:

That sounds wild to me. Surely they view other players better right?

There are guys who really like him and think he's just scratching the surface of how good he can be. He can hit and hit for power and has a very good chance to stay at 3B.  

It seems there could be a blob of guys they have evaluated the same and then they take the cheapest guy.  That may be what this comes down to. 

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I got to watch Cags today in person. He didn't have much command on his FB. Topped out at like 96. Mostly sat around 94. I feel like he threw it only 50% of the time today. Control wasn't great but he was throwing a nasty change-up at like 74 mph. Thing was fluttering and got a lot of swings and misses on it. Looks like he snapped off some nice sliders too. Maybe a curveball as well? I'm not totally sure what pitches he throws, just going off what I could tell from my angle.

Also this happened..... 😲

Was definitely thrown at, the next pitch he swung out of his shoes at an off-speed pitch and got laughed at by the LSU crowd. Then the next pitch he smashed a no-doubter oppo and razzed the crowd a bit. It was pretty great.

That's awesome.  Fun place to watch a game.  

Posted (edited)

Hmm. Doyle has White Sox going with Rainer in his first mock. 🤔 Where have we heard that name before?

A lot of talk on high school talents here in the awfully early stages of the spring. A long ways to go, but there seems to be an emphasis in Chicago on ceiling and upside at this spot. Again, it’s March and there’s a lot of noisy conjecture. Rainer has had a resurgent spring with an improved hit tool, more assertiveness and physicality in the box, all whilst maintaining his impressive defensive and athletic chops. He’s got a shot to be the first prep off the board.

https://futurestarsseries.com/mock-draft-mlb-draft-2024/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=mock-draft-mlb-draft-2024

Though I think it's nuts that he has Hagen Smith falling to 8.

Edited by DirtySox