Jump to content

2024 - MLB Draft Thread


DirtySox
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Johno said:

i almost wonder if the White Sox try making all their trades before the MLB draft.   Based on the talent they get back from the trades could this influence who they pick in the draft?   

I’d be surprised. The late draft has hurt the deadline. Teams aren’t really invested in deadline yet because the draft is the focus 

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Smith?

Yeah for sure. If they take pitching, it would be Smith or Burns. That’s what I meant 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

BA article today with some observations on the 2024 class. There was a section on the lack of up the middle talent. Pulled this out. I was already pretty into Wetherholt, but if the consensus is that he's able to hack it at SS I'm very in. Though @Y2Jimmy0 mentioned the Sox view him as a 2B.

Regardless, I'd still much prefer him to a Cags at 5.

Quote

Near locks to play a corner position: Jac Caglianone, Nick Kurtz, James Tibbs III, Cam Smith, Carson Benge, Billy Amick, Tommy White

More likely than not to play a corner position: Charlie Condon, Braden Montgomery, Malcolm Moore

Near 50-50 chance to play a corner position: Bryce Rainer, Seaver King, Christian Moore, Theo Gillen

More likely than not to play up the middle: Travis Bazzana, JJ Wetherholt, Konnor Griffin, Vance Honeycutt, Caleb Lomavita, Slade Caldwell, Walker Janek, Kellon Lindsey

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/five-things-to-know-about-the-2024-mlb-draft/

Edited by DirtySox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DirtySox said:

BA article today with some observations on the 2024 class. There was a section on the lack of up the middle talent. Pulled this out. I was already pretty into Wetherholt, but if the consensus is that he's able to hack it at SS I'm very in. Though @Y2Jimmy0 mentioned the Sox view him as a 2B.

Regardless, I'd still much prefer him to a Cags at 5.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/five-things-to-know-about-the-2024-mlb-draft/

I’d heard that early in the process but I think Wetherholt is a realistic option now. I think they’d prefer an up the middle guy so if they go college route, he could be the guy 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Whole lot of discourse out there last night/this morning how college baseball might need to do something about bats/balls again. Could get dangerous. Also hard to assess player's true capabilities with the super fun ball they are using this season.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Whole lot of discourse out there last night/this morning how college baseball might need to do something about bats/balls again. Could get dangerous. Also hard to assess player's true capabilities with the super fun ball they are using this season.

I cannot understand why college uses metal bats and to add to that super juiced balls which makes it is very difficult to assess capabilities. Andrew Vaughn was the best hitter in college and look how that has turned out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

New BA mock. Has Cleveland underslotting with #1.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-4-0-projecting-the-top-39-picks/

1.) Guardians - Wetherholt

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) A's - Bazzana

Quote

5. White Sox — Jac Caglianone, 1B/LHP, Florida
I continue to hear mostly college profiles linked with the White Sox. Some in the industry speculate Chicago would be happy with a hitter or a pitcher. That means in this scenario each of Caglianone, Kurtz and the two top pitchers in the class, Burns and Smith, should be real options here. Traditionally a college-heavy team, Chicago’s success with prep profiles like Noah Schultz and Colson Montgomery in recent years could embolden the White Sox to take a shot on the Konnor Griffins and Bryce Rainers of the world. However, I start to hear the high school players mentioned more after this pick, even if I expect Chicago to still be casting a fairly wide net.

Caglianone has the best raw power in the class. He has too many real fits in the draft among the top six picks or so to expect him to fall much further than this. Plenty of teams seem to be all-in on his upside potential despite an aggressive approach at the plate. 

6.) Royals - Smith

7.)  Cardina's - Rainer

8.) Angels - Montgomery

9.) Pirates - Griffin

10.) Nationals - Kurtz

Edited by DirtySox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I think if it comes down to College Pitcher or Cags/Kurtz, I'm going Hagen Smith or Burns 100% of the time.

Yeah, give me the guy that the Sox development history actually profiles to help, and we can sort out the rest later.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

New BA mock. Has Cleveland underslotting with #1.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-4-0-projecting-the-top-39-picks/

1.) Guardians - Wetherholt

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) A's - Bazzana

6.) Royals - Smith

7.)  Cardina's - Rainer

8.) Angels - Montgomery

9.) Pirates - Griffin

10.) Nationals - Kurtz

An undershot of Wetherholt would be outstanding.  Push Smith down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

An organization that is desperate for left handed power the top left handed power bat will be difficult to pass up. 

Just saying, the last time Harold and I both wanted the same player in the draft was Crochet.

I am easily swayed by lefties that do cool things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like Jimmy and Harold are hearing conflicting things.

I certainly would love to add legit left handed savagery more than anyone but I also understand the risk in using a Top 5 on a 1B. Like Vaughn, if it turns out that the bat isnt special, then you've no other value there and there is a ceiling on how much WAR you can get from a 1B.

Should be interesting. 

Perhaps Getz should focus his energy on pulling Kjerstad from BAL so we can use the draft for other purposes rather than immediate needs.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

New BA mock. Has Cleveland underslotting with #1.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-4-0-projecting-the-top-39-picks/

1.) Guardians - Wetherholt

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) A's - Bazzana

6.) Royals - Smith

7.)  Cardina's - Rainer

8.) Angels - Montgomery

9.) Pirates - Griffin

10.) Nationals - Kurtz

Cleveland will be underslot regardless of who they take. 

5 hours ago, DirtySox said:

I think if it comes down to College Pitcher or Cags/Kurtz, I'm going Hagen Smith or Burns 100% of the time.

There’s no reason for it to come down to Cags/Kurtz 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

An organization that is desperate for left handed power the top left handed power bat will be difficult to pass up. 

This is incredibly flawed thinking and I really hope they disagree. When your owner is Jerry Reinsdorf, you need to fill 1B when it’s time to win. Draft the up the middle players who your owner will never pay for on the market. Taking Cags would be super annoying and I’d be very surprised if Chris Getz did that with his first pick ever. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Seems like Jimmy and Harold are hearing conflicting things.

I certainly would love to add legit left handed savagery more than anyone but I also understand the risk in using a Top 5 on a 1B. Like Vaughn, if it turns out that the bat isnt special, then you've no other value there and there is a ceiling on how much WAR you can get from a 1B.

Should be interesting. 

Perhaps Getz should focus his energy on pulling Kjerstad from BAL so we can use the draft for other purposes rather than immediate needs.

 

Like I said, in recent years if it had been just Vaughn, you could chalk it up to White Sox being White Sox and hope recent changes would make a difference, but when a guy like Torkelson, who had every bit the offensive hype that Cags has had, ends up being another Andrew Vaughn, it should raise some red flags, especially combined with fears of the baseball being juiced in college this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Like I said, in recent years if it had been just Vaughn, you could chalk it up to White Sox being White Sox and hope recent changes would make a difference, but when a guy like Torkelson, who had every bit the offensive hype that Cags has had, ends up being another Andrew Vaughn, it should raise some red flags, especially combined with fears of the baseball being juiced in college this year.

Going back a bit further, you can also throw Pavin Smith into that pile.  I don't see any true 1B success stories over that same time frame being picked this high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to Griffin -- a potential star if his hit tool plays above current forecasts -- there could be four other prepsters taken in the top 20. That group includes California shortstop Bryce Rainer, a lefty hitter with pop considered the top overall high-school player in the class; athletic and hard-throwing Arizona lefty Cam Caminiti; sweet-swinging and fast-running Texas infielder Theo Gillen; and Louisiana righty William Schmidt, who possesses a loud combination of velocity and spin.

cbssports.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is incredibly flawed thinking and I really hope they disagree. When your owner is Jerry Reinsdorf, you need to fill 1B when it’s time to win. Draft the up the middle players who your owner will never pay for on the market. Taking Cags would be super annoying and I’d be very surprised if Chris Getz did that with his first pick ever. 

That's a ridiculous way for a GM and scouting department to operate.  Their job is to bring in the best talent with the highest ceilings.  Of course they want them to be up the middle players but if the best player available with the greatest chance to be a high impact player is a corner then you take that player and how the owner spends his money is about the furthest thing from the equation as possible.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's a ridiculous way for a GM and scouting department to operate.  Their job is to bring in the best talent with the highest ceilings.  Of course they want them to be up the middle players but if the best player available with the greatest chance to be a high impact player is a corner then you take that player and how the owner spends his money is about the furthest thing from the equation as possible.  

Harold, everyone knows the last part isn't true. It's highly relevant, and even Getz has alluded to the fact that "it's easier said that done" when people asked why they aren't spending. 

The idea that a GM isn't going to take into account how his owner operates and how he spends his money when putting together a roster is absurd. None of these decisions can be made in the abstract and indeed we see Getz ALREADY making major decisions based on Jerry. We know Jerry doesn't pay big deals for good starting pitching because he is afraid of pitchers perpetually breaking so Getz went pitcher heavy in the Cease return because how else is he going to acquire pitching?

Every decision has to take into account JR. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DirtySox said:

New BA mock. Has Cleveland underslotting with #1.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-4-0-projecting-the-top-39-picks/

1.) Guardians - Wetherholt

2.) Reds - Condon

3.) Rockies - Burns

4.) A's - Bazzana

6.) Royals - Smith

7.)  Cardina's - Rainer

8.) Angels - Montgomery

9.) Pirates - Griffin

10.) Nationals - Kurtz

What a difference a draft slot makes. We’re getting hosed this year and next. Fucking awesome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's a ridiculous way for a GM and scouting department to operate.  Their job is to bring in the best talent with the highest ceilings.  Of course they want them to be up the middle players but if the best player available with the greatest chance to be a high impact player is a corner then you take that player and how the owner spends his money is about the furthest thing from the equation as possible.  

He’s not going to be the best player available because he’s a 1B. If they think he is and they don’t consider the man they work for, they’re even further behind the rest of the league than I thought already. 

2 hours ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Harold, everyone knows the last part isn't true. It's highly relevant, and even Getz has alluded to the fact that "it's easier said that done" when people asked why they aren't spending. 

The idea that a GM isn't going to take into account how his owner operates and how he spends his money when putting together a roster is absurd. None of these decisions can be made in the abstract and indeed we see Getz ALREADY making major decisions based on Jerry. We know Jerry doesn't pay big deals for good starting pitching because he is afraid of pitchers perpetually breaking so Getz went pitcher heavy in the Cease return because how else is he going to acquire pitching?

Every decision has to take into account JR. 

100% 

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...