2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

2 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

@Harold's Leg Lift

or any other insider....is the #2 scout at the white sox really a part time gig? How does this guy Charlie Guest run a car dealership and be the assistant scouting director? 

The dealer website has a bunch of people named “Guest.” My educated guess is he’s got an inherited ownership stake in the business but is not involved in the day-to-day operations. He certainly is not listed among their staff.

https://www.southoak.com/about-us/staff/

10 hours ago, Timmy U said:

The dealer website has a bunch of people named “Guest.” My educated guess is he’s got an inherited ownership stake in the business but is not involved in the day-to-day operations. He certainly is not listed among their staff.

https://www.southoak.com/about-us/staff/

Thats probably right.  Though this makes it seem like he runs the dealership (granted I dont pay for autonews.com

https://www.autonews.com/dealers/crisis-upends-both-halves-baseball-scout-dealers-life

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Curiel coming out of the gates hot.  Kid's got an absolutely gorgeous swing. 

Was talking to a guy i trust the other day. He said he though california was down these days. Can we be confident this guy is gonna get tested out west?

BA updated their top 2024 draft rankings today. Through 15 below. Still not in love with the mix of players at the top of the class. Konnor Griffin still sounds the most exciting to me. Will definitely be checking out Brecht starts as well. Hope some toolsy up the middle guys emerge and push their way up.

1. JJ Wetherholt 2B

2. Nick Kurtz 1B

3. Travis Bazzana 2B

4. Jac Caglianone 1B

5. Mike Sirota OF

6. Vance Honeycutt OF

7. Seaver King SS

8. Charlie Condon OF

9. Braden Montgomery OF

10. Tommy White 3B

11. Konnor Griffin OF

12. PJ Morlando 1B

13. Caleb Bonemer SS

14. Josh Hartle LHP

15. Chase Burns RHP

Edited by DirtySox

14 hours ago, DirtySox said:

BA updated their top 2024 draft rankings today. Through 15 below. Still not in love with the mix of players at the top of the class. Konnor Griffin still sounds the most exciting to me. Will definitely be checking out Brecht starts as well. Hope some toolsy up the middle guys emerge and push their way up.

Come draft time I think that list will be flipped on it's ear.  So many of those players have question marks in their game I think guys are going to pop up and drop out much more than usual.

Did you see your guy Konnor Griffin was 94-97 in an intrasquad?  Is he a bat or an arm?

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Come draft time I think that list will be flipped on it's ear.  So many of those players have question marks in their game I think guys are going to pop up and drop out much more than usual.

Did you see your guy Konnor Griffin was 94-97 in an intrasquad?  Is he a bat or an arm?

I did not. I guess I just kind of assumed Griffin was truly a bat based off the write-ups.

PJ Morlando sure sounds fun from a power/hit perspective. Can't say I love a prep guy that's already being earmarked as a 1B though. Wish he was a sure thing corner OF.

Guy that I've been reading about more and more lately that I'm into is Bonemer. Whole lot to like in this:

13. Caleb Bonemer
SS

Ht: 6'0" | Wt: 195 | B-T: R-R

School: Okemos (Mich.) HS Commit/Drafted: Virginia

Age At Draft: 18.8

Previous Rank:13

Bonemer is a strong athlete who should stick on the left side of the infield and has one of the most exciting power/speed combinations in the 2024 prep class. He was a standout performer during the 2023 showcase circuit, rocketed up draft boards and is viewed as one of the top prep hitters in the class. Listed at 6-foot-1, 195 pounds, Bonemer has a stiffer setup in the box that features a tucked in front shoulder and a lack of rhythm and pre-pitch movement that was a concern for some scouts. Then he started hammering most everything that was thrown at him. Bonemer fires his hands with impressive bat speed and strength and makes consistent loud contact that translated into games for home run power—he homered twice at Perfect Game’s National showcase against 93-mph fastballs and then was one of the better hitters at the Area Code Games, where he went 6-for-11 (.545) with three doubles, four walks and three strikeouts. He has plus power potential and is a plus runner who has solid actions on the left side of the infield. He’s played shortstop and third base and has more than enough arm strength for either position, with solid body control and glovework though he could ultimately outgrow the middle infield and fit better on a corner where he could be an above-average defender. Bonemer is committed to Virginia but is a first round talent.

Edited by DirtySox

This is another guy who can make a big jump this spring.  He has a great body w/plus athleticism and he can really move.  He has good bat speed and I absolutely love his swing. He still has to show he can consistently drive the baseball and that he can stay on the dirt. If he does that he's easily in the first round conversation.

• Thanks 1

Hmm. I could get behind that profile. Good look.

75. Theodore Gillen SS

Ht: 6'3" | Wt: 200 | B-T: L-R

School: Westlake HS, Austin, Tex. Commit/Drafted: Texas

Age At Draft: 18.9

Previous Rank:72

Gillen stood out from an early age as one of the most talented players in the 2024 class, though he had right shoulder surgery in April 2022, so he missed much of the year. Gillen has long been an impressive athlete, but he has added more size and strength to his 6-foot-3 frame, with his tools taking another jump too. He has a strong offensive track record, using a line-drive stroke with a knack for going the opposite way. He’s still learning to fully tap into his power, but he has fast bat speed and is driving the ball with more extra-base damage now than he was before. Still working his way back from his shoulder injury, Gillen previously has shown good agility, body control and actions at shortstop. Depending on what happens with his arm, his athleticism and plus-plus speed would translate well in center field too. He is committed to Texas.

Edited by DirtySox