Calling Pitches

coldwatersox

My recall is that Cease was calling or selecting his pitches in the opening game against the Astros. He was using the inside cap device which became necessary to attach to his belt during the course of the game.  He was making his pitch selections without any delay or hesitation. He seems to have abandoned that arrangement since opening day and his performance has declined steadily. Am I incorrect as to my recall of how Cease was self-selecting his pitches on opening day against the Astros? If I am correct, why has that method been abandoned in favor of having the catcher determine the pitch selection? 

I do recall the first game exactly like you do. I do not however know if he continued, and yes I had the same train of thought as you. Why change what was working? 

1 hour ago, coldwatersox said:

My recall is that Cease was calling or selecting his pitches in the opening game against the Astros. He was using the inside cap device which became necessary to attach to his belt during the course of the game.  He was making his pitch selections without any delay or hesitation. He seems to have abandoned that arrangement since opening day and his performance has declined steadily. Am I incorrect as to my recall of how Cease was self-selecting his pitches on opening day against the Astros? If I am correct, why has that method been abandoned in favor of having the catcher determine the pitch selection? 

Was having this same thought watching the game yesterday.  He was certainly calling his own pitches against Houston that night.  Reviewing his Statcast year over year numbers and nothing really jumps out other than he's getting blistered now.  Velo and spin down across the board but barely, my sense is he's just not locating the slider the same as last year and not inducing enough chases with it.  That being said, color me concerned. 

What the Sox need to do is catch Zavala with Giolito and Cease (move the rotation so that they are 1 and 3) and stick fWAR with Lynn, Kopech and the scumbag. Let your starters be comfortable with their preferred catcher. Grandal is subpar at every aspect of catching but framing. Lucas and Dylan can't be confident Grandal will catch their best pitches which may break in the dirt, and thus have to hold back everytime he is behind the plate.

Dylan Cease Catcher Splits (OPS Allowed):

• .524 Reese McGuire  6 Games
  • .547 Seby Zavala 23 Games
  • .728 Yasmani Grandal 40 Games

Lucas Giolito Catcher Splits:

• .613 James McCann 37 Games
  • .665 Seby Zavala 22 Games
  • .731 Yasmani Grandal 30 Games
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What the Sox need to do is catch Zavala with Giolito and Cease (move the rotation so that they are 1 and 3) and stick fWAR with Lynn, Kopech and the scumbag. Let your starters be comfortable with their preferred catcher. Grandal is subpar at every aspect of catching but framing. Lucas and Dylan can't be confident Grandal will catch their best pitches which may break in the dirt, and thus have to hold back everytime he is behind the plate.

Dylan Cease Catcher Splits (OPS Allowed):

• .524 Reese McGuire  6 Games
  • .547 Seby Zavala 23 Games
  • .728 Yasmani Grandal 40 Games

Lucas Giolito Catcher Splits:

• .613 James McCann 37 Games
  • .665 Seby Zavala 22 Games
  • .731 Yasmani Grandal 30 Games

It sure would be nice to still have Reese McGuire at catcher. Oh that's right...another horrific trade by Hahn for Diekman.

Reese was a superior catcher defensively to Seby or Yasmani. Reese was better at calling pitches, blocking balls in the dirt and receiving. He was and still is a better hitter than both of them.

BA      OBP     SLG    OPS
Zavala       .170    .220     .319     .539
Grandal    .257    .341     .413     .754
McGuire   .322    .355     .390     .745

Thanks Rick Hahn. Another of your trade deadline debacles!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

didn't know McGuire was performing that well, f*** Rick Hahn. I hope he's on the first starship to Mars. 

Elon Musk always has his eyes open for a high quality toadie. RH certainly fills the bill.