2024 MLB Draft Order (Reverse Standings)

Bob Sacamano

On 8/9/2023 at 4:29 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

Need another 10-game skid.

Brewers, Cub, and Mariners I’m sure would be happy to oblige. Though few things would be sweeter in this lost season than to go to the piss trough northside mall and play spoiler for a few games.  

5 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

If the Sox are going to blow chunks next year as well, I'd prefer they miss out on "winning" the '24 lottery so they have a shot at winning it in '25 for Ethan Holliday.

They have to finish outside the top 6 picks right? I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just listened to Future Projections Podcast. Carlos Collazo and Ben Badler are really really down on the 2024 HS class.  There's a lot of time for people to pop up, but right now it looks like picking first in 2024 is like picking 6th in 2023.

Meanwhile, they were raving about Ethan Holliday with Collazo mock-begging him to reclassify so there was a legit 1-1 in 2024.  So, yeah, I hope they avoid the high pick in the lesser year and get 1-1 in 2025, but a million things would have to happen for that to occur.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Just listened to Future Projections Podcast. Carlos Collazo and Ben Badler are really really down on the 2024 HS class.  There's a lot of time for people to pop up, but right now it looks like picking first in 2024 is like picking 6th in 2023.

Meanwhile, they were raving about Ethan Holliday with Collazo mock-begging him to reclassify so there was a legit 1-1 in 2024.  So, yeah, I hope they avoid the high pick in the lesser year and get 1-1 in 2025, but a million things would have to happen for that to occur.

Yeah, like the A’s, Royals and Rockies would have to look like competent teams. Or at least better than the Sox.

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, like the A’s, Royals and Rockies would have to look like competent teams. Or at least better than the Sox.

It's ultimately based on the lottery balls. The worst team gets a higher chance, but no guarantee to pick within the first six spots. Teams are ranked by record for the remaining first round positions (7-30 plus supplemental picks).

All rounds after the first round + first round supplemental picks are based on team record. So the Sox could pick 7th in the first round, and 3rd all other rounds if they finish with the 3rd worst record.

Lottery Ball Allocations:

• 28th - 30th (16.5% each)
  • 27th (13.2%)
  • 26th (10.0%)
  • 25th (7.5%)
  • 24th (5.5%)
  • 23rd (3.9%)
  • 22nd (2.7%)
  • Next lowest nine teams (decreasing odds from 1.8% to 0.2%).

Restrictions:

• Large Market Teams (Teams which do not receive revenue sharing including the White Sox) winning a lottery cannot pick in the top 10 the following season.
  • Small Market Teams (Revenue sharing teams) cannot pick 1-6 in three consecutive years.
  • Large Market Teams Washington and Texas are restricted from picking in the Top 10 in 2024 based on the 2023 lottery results. 

Request for SoxTalk - Please respond with a list of 2022 / 2023 revenue sharing teams. I cannot find.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Is anyone actually excited about picking 3rd or 4th? Normally I'd be pretty happy to add an elite prospect but our farm sucks so much and the future seems so hopeless that not even this matters. They'll just go with a "safe" college bat like Vaughn because they know they can't develop high schoolers for s%*#. 

Their two best prospects are high schoolers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Their two best prospects are high schoolers. 

Are you trying to tell me they are getting better at it or just drafted some talented high schoolers? Believe me I'm happy they are trying but nothing about the talent development in this organization screams to me that they will be anything more than a detractor to these talented youngsters. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Are you trying to tell me they are getting better at it or just drafted some talented high schoolers? Believe me I'm happy they are trying but nothing about the talent development in this organization screams to me that they will be anything more than a detractor to these talented youngsters. 

Luis Robert wasn’t developed by the Sox system? 

5 hours ago, South Sider said:

Is anyone actually excited about picking 3rd or 4th? Normally I'd be pretty happy to add an elite prospect but our farm sucks so much and the future seems so hopeless that not even this matters. They'll just go with a "safe" college bat like Vaughn because they know they can't develop high schoolers for s%*#. 

The best players in this draft (as of now) are all college hitters. Kurtz (1B/OF), Bazzana (2B/SS), Honeycutt (CF) and Wetherholt (2B/3B). The Sox should be pleased with any one of those guys falling to them at 4

21 hours ago, South Sider said:

I'm rooting for 7th or worse, since there is a least a chance Jerry is gone before the 2025 draft, and a competent FO in place to take advantage of a high draft pick.

If they pick Top 6 this year, 2024 is a wasted tank year, and no guarantees they get a top 6 in 2025 regardless of how bad the Getz era unfolds.