Reinsdorf considers moving White Sox out of Guaranteed Rate Field or selling team

bmags

14 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They will be charging a around around a billion each for two teams, so that’s $67M more he is going to want to grab before he passes.

Jerry, Milwaukee and Baltimore can still move somewhere if a different government is willing to pay their capital expenses. Once Nashville and Montreal are gone though, the rest of the US/Canada markets are weaker.

MLB is not going to want to sacrifice additional good markets to satisfy one of these groups. Vegas is not an ideal MLB market (population, TV, number of games, Strip location beyond tourists), so no loss at this point.

If I’m an MLB owner, I’m wanting contraction to share a greater portion of the pie. Pay off two or four owners who will never contribute anything to the league beyond serving as the Washington Generals of MLB. Looking at Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland/Vegas to start, perhaps an Ohio team.

Or drop to one team in a market where possible. If you are going to contact why drop a market?

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Or drop to one team in a market where possible. If you are going to contact why drop a market?

Because you have several owners who will never spend to be competitive, and these markets are only there due to what made sense population wise a century ago.

Owners would never create a team in Milwaukee (40th largest American population market / 45th by GDP) if creating a league today.

Like every industry government is involved in (defense, health care, education), government funding of MLB owner capital expenses distorts the issue of where teams are and where they want to relocate.

This would be optimal if creating a league today:

• Northeast: Boston (11), Montreal (C2), New York (1S), New York (1S), Philadelphia (7), Toronto (C1).
  • Midwest: Chicago (3S), Chicago (3S), Denver (19), Detroit (14), Minnesota (16), Saint Louis (21).
  • South: Atlanta (8), Dallas (4),  Houston (5), Mexico City (M1), Miami (9), Washington (6).
  • West: Los Angeles (2S), Los Angeles (2S), Phoenix (10), San Diego (18), San Francisco (13), Seattle (15).

Cheer for LA/SD: Riverside (12).

Out (7): (Last Championship Year) Tampa Bay Never (17), Baltimore 1983 (20), Pittsburgh 1979 (26), Cincinnati 1990 (30), Kansas City 2015 (31), Cleveland 1948 (33), Milwaukee Never (40).

Shiny New Toy, Future Revenue Sharing Welfare Candidates: Las Vegas (29), Nashville (35).

• 1 month later...

Cleveland recently extended their lease at the present  stadium. They are spending some serious money on the present stadium this off season. Their upper deck is being torn down entirely in right field. Nobody wants to sit up there. I can't help but wonder if the White Sox extend the lease  on  their stadium if the stadium  gets redone. If Cleveland can knock down their upper deck I wonder if the upper deck at the White Sox stadium   will be  knocked down also. The present upper deck has been hated since the stadium opened. Nobody wants to sit up there. 

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Cleveland recently extended their lease at the present  stadium. They are spending some serious money on the present stadium this off season. Their upper deck is being torn down entirely in right field. Nobody wants to sit up there. I can't help but wonder if the White Sox extend the lease  on  their stadium if the stadium  gets redone. If Cleveland can knock down their upper deck I wonder if the upper deck at the White Sox stadium   will be  knocked down also. The present upper deck has been hated since the stadium opened. Nobody wants to sit up there. 

The Sox would also need to tear down the top level of suites also then they could design a new upper deck that wouldn’t be as steep as the present one, don’t know what the cost would be, maybe a new stadium would be more feasible.

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

You get a panoramic view from the upper deck no doubt. Between nosebleeds 

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

The Sox would also need to tear down the top level of suites also then they could design a new upper deck that wouldn’t be as steep as the present one, don’t know what the cost would be, maybe a new stadium would be more feasible.

Go to YOUTUBE and look at the work being done on the Cleveland Stadium. It  has to be costing some serious money. The White Sox stadium is 2 different ballparks. The lower level is wonderful and the upper deck is terrible. 

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Go to YOUTUBE and look at the work being done on the Cleveland Stadium. It  has to be costing some serious money. The White Sox stadium is 2 different ballparks. The lower level is wonderful and the upper deck is terrible. 

I did check it out, I thought they said over 200 million dollars. GRF original cost IIRC was 137 million.

Edited by The Mighty Mite