Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

46 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I hear Kjerstad is great in the clubhouse and grew up a Royals fan, so maybe he checks enough boxes despite being a bat-oriented prospect?

LOL. Well played.

While I'm glad that @Quin added the paper bag emoji, I've been asking for awhile for a savage emoji with a picture of Macho Man Randy Savage, because the above is a savage post and Kjerstad is a savage bat.

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

Feels like I just went to a car lot or annuities salesman...hopefully Getz knows how to properly evaluate these guys.

It's like the opposite of those years when Sox had Top Ten guys like a Keenyn Walker or a Latin American catcher who never made the majors filling column space for 2-3 consecutive years...since someone had to be there for Phil Rogers.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No question but if there are 3 or 4 players in the deal, Fabian being a 3rd or 4th guy is a great get in that deal for you 

I really really really don't like right handed hitters unless it's someone with a very rare skillset that we need. 

This is going to sound crazy but I'm alot more willing to possibly overlook the swing and miss in his game than I am the RH aspect of his game. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

6 players?  This isn’t even grounded in reality unless 2 or 3 of the players are org filler that have little to no upside.

If you don’t get a top 5 guy, a package of Ortiz or Norby, Beavers, Povich and another prospect likely in the 20-30 range seems right.

That would be 4 players in your top 10 and likely a few in your top 5, maybe even 3 of them in your top 5.

The feeling I get on here is that Cease is worth a lot more than he likely is and that the Os system is created equal with everyone else.

The reality is that if you take out the Os top 5 prospects, that it’s still an upper half of the majors system.  

They have several guys that either have been in top 100s (like Povich was in the 60s for Kiley iirc) or will be by the end of the year, provided that they stay healthy.

Just because they aren’t top 100 guys today doesn’t mean much at all. That is an extremely overrated thing by all fan bases imo.

I can remember when the Os traded Machado, I wanted 2 guys that were ranked in the top 100 for him.  Instead they got Yusniel Diaz, who was top 40 at the time.

The 2 guys I wanted were Lux and May…2 guys who were far away and had done nothing in the upper minors.

Sometimes those are the better guys to get.

How the potential return ranks in the current White Sox system is not a factor. Value is determined on the moving pieces solely. 2 years of Cease is going to be a significant cost. A couple of good prospects that aren’t in the can’t miss category by industry standards, isn’t fair value. Not going to happen. 

Giolito just set the market for former aces trying to return to their previous glory and it’s $20 mill a year.  Last I checked, Cease didn’t have a 7.07 ERA.  This is just about the best news for Cease’s trade value that could have ever happened.

Orioles fans may need to readjust their prospect proposals.  There isn’t a decent free agent starting pitcher that they could even afford in this market.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pmb0928 said:

Definitely not a guy that fits us.  Has improved every year as he went higher up in the minors. Has power and hits for average. Don't want that messing up our reputation

RH hitter with little to no defensive utility.  The margin for error on a prospect like that is minimal.  Him being the second piece of a Cease would be a huge mistake IMO.

Katz has taken a lot of flak, but he helped change the shape of Cease’s fastball, which saved his career. His pre-2021 can be essentially dismissed performance wise, but it helped keep his arb earnings down. 

I actually think 2021 is a reasonable expectation going forward for Cease. 

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Bradish was 4th last year…and GRod was one of the best pitchers in baseball from the AS break on. So yea, that’a not statement founded on reality.

What’s Grayson’s durability like out of curiosity?  Is he a safe to put up +160 innings or is there injury risk there?

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s Grayson’s durability like out of curiosity?  Is he a safe to put up +160 innings or is there injury risk there?

Same injury risk as a guy who throws 100 MPH I suppose. He had a lat injury in 2022 but that was rather flukish.  He easily threw the most innings he has ever thrown last year and he showed zero signs of fading.

Edited by Sports Guy

9 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

After seeing this ridiculous Giolito signing, Getz may be wise to wait until many more starting pitchers sign.  Baltimore can’t afford anyone.

The Os will just start Hall. Elias will not pay more for something than he feels it’s worth.  I’m not saying I agree but he won’t do it.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic