Why doesn’t MLB

Johno

I never understood why people think you can run a MLB organization like the NFL or NBA.

Drafts are a much higher risk in MLB since you have more choices.

The level of talent in the NCAA isn't as big as a divide from the NFL or NBA.

• Thanks 1

I'm not certain it would create interest. To me the MLB f draft is the equivalent of buying a bunch of scratch off tickets, waiting four years, and seeing if you won anything. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Johno said:

Allow teams to trade draft picks?   No other pro organization puts such restrictions on their sport.   wouldn’t it create much more interest?

So what?

I think it would be cool to see draft pick trades. Competitive balance picks can be traded, just not for cash. For example, in 2022, the Rays traded Austin Meadows for Isaac Parades and the 71st pick and the Braves traded Drew Waters, Andrew Hoffman and CJ Alexander for the 35th pick. 

Extending that to regular picks would be a good idea imo, teams could put together more compelling trade packages or a contending team could ship out a pick and its slot value for someone ready to contribute. The MLB draft is a crapshoot to be sure but so are the other leagues' drafts, those guys simply play sooner, but I can think of plenty of examples where I'd rather trade for a first round pick than a 19-year-old in Rookie ball. There would have to be regulations so that teams can't trade picks 10 years down the line, or only be allowed to trade in the first 10 rounds or something, but another thought is that I'm sure there are teams that would trade up in the draft to take someone who is going to demand over their slot value and I bet they'd find willing partners who do not want to spend the slot value amount.

Frankly, I see no reason why draft pick trading doesn't exist except that protects teams from their own incompetence, mortgaging the future for garbage players. You see this quite often in the NBA, one infamous example being the Nets trading 3 unprotected first round picks to the Celtics for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. Those players made Brooklyn worse whereas the Celtics drafted Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown, two superstars currently leading the best team in the league. The Bulls also gave up several first rounders for Nikola Vucevic putting the team in (imo) a worse position than the White Sox are in. Still, it adds an extra dimension to player transactions -- maybe the Reds have a more appealing offer for Cease if they can offer the 2nd overall pick. 

• Like 1

It takes way too long for draft picks to reach the majors. Fans would be furious following trades of good MLB players for draft picks. The Sox have drafted so many stiffs through the years.

On 1/2/2024 at 12:08 PM, ron883 said:

Imagine if this was allowed during KWs tenure.

Which might have meant more post-season appearances for the White Sox. It's really not like the White Sox did much of anything with their drafts. 

56 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Frankly, I see no reason why draft pick trading doesn't exist except that protects teams from their own incompetence, mortgaging the future for garbage players.

At this point, teams in the lottery are pretty much all rebuilding teams. Perhaps a team bereft of prospects might trade their first rounder for a package of guys who might represent "quantity". 

• Like 2

MLB doesn't alllow the trading of draft picks because they're afraid the players agents will control where the players will land. MLB draftees already have a ton of leverage because they don't have to declare for the draft.  HS seniors can go to college and collge juniors can go back to school for their senior year.  An agent can say to a team trade my client to the Yankees or he won't sign.  Trade my client to the Dodgers or he won't sign.  They're afraid Boras would hold his guys out forever.  The Mets will give my client a $10M signing bonus.  Trade him there or he's not signing.  I don't think it would be that extreme but MLB doesn't want to give the players an inch of power. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2