2/29/24 Leap Year Day Game Thread - Kansas City @ White Sox

Let's Win Two Today!

White Sox up 1-0 early at Seattle after Nicky Lopez doubled and was driven in by an Eloy single.

Jared Shuster squares up against Bryce Miller for Seattle.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/white-sox-vs-mariners/2024/02/29/748170/live

The home game remains scoreless after one inning, with jake Woodford facing Jordan Lyles.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/royals-vs-white-sox/2024/02/29/748172/live

Note - I created and posted this, while the OG Seattle game thread was created a few minutes early. I'm not certain how this site treats split squad game threads, so I just pulled out the Seattle game in the title and we can use this for the Kansas City game.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

• South Side Hit Men changed the title to 2/29/24 Leap Year Day Game Thread - Kansas City @ White Sox

Luis Robert singled in the first but was stranded by Mike Moustakas.

Nelson Valzquez singled in the top half of the 2nd but was stranded.

Gavin Sheets walked and stole second to lead off the bottom of the seconding, but was left stranded after Dominic Fletcher struck out, Martin Maldonado grounded out and Braden Shewmake struck out swinging.

7 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Who had 2 Sheets homers and a stolen base on their bingo card?

I listened to him on the Sox on 35th podcast recently and he seems like a nice guy who works hard. I hope he's actually figured something out, he could potentially be a useful player. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

40 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Colson hit into a FC, Ortega sac fly scores Sosa from third, 3-0 Sox.

Moose strikes out to end the inning. I remain unconvinced that he's making the team.

Moustakas has looked terrible in the at bats I’ve seen

• Like 1

Sox added on a pair with the help of KC's defense struggling, Colas and Sosa knocked in one each.

Popeye made a couple of nice defensive plays at 2B to help wrap things up, though Solesky still gave up a run to lose the shutout. Sox win, 6-1.

Nice to see them hit 4 XBH (doubles from Benny and Shewmake, 2HR from Sheets), and give up none.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Autumn Dreamin said:

Sox added on a pair with the help of KC's defense struggling, Colas and Sosa knocked in one each.

Popeye made a couple of nice defensive plays at 2B to help wrap things up, though Solesky still gave up a run to lose the shutout. Sox win, 6-1.

Nice to see them hit 4 XBH (doubles from Benny and Shewmake, 2HR from Sheets), and give up none.

I don't know why they can't just post a link for that live video feed on days/games they aren't doing a broadcast. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I don't know why they can't just post a link for that live video feed on days/games they aren't doing a broadcast. 

Several teams (including the Sox) did that last year, but now it's back to being limited games for everyone as far as I can tell. MLB just likes to arbitrarily make their product harder to access it seems.

• Paper Bag 1

1 hour ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Sheets is a legit 4A slugger. For Charlotte. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We're somehow going to end up with Sheets OR Moustakas on the roster...aren't we?

Prefer Pillar and Moose both cut loose like a deuce. Lee played a little at 1B and would make most sense in terms of trying to have him mentored assuming they "must" take back both Maldonado and Stassi. Thinking either or both might not make it to Memorial Day, and then you can bring up Popeye or another player with flexibility. Bring up Sheets or Elko if you had to IL Vaughn.

Would like this playing time allotment (before injuries, trades, promotions):

• (L 135) A. Benintendi (29.7) (LF 135)
  • (L 120) O. Colas (25.5) (RF 120)
  • (R 110) P. DeJong (30.6) (SS 110)
  • (L 96) D. Fletcher (26.5) (RF 42 + CF 27 + LF 27)
  • (R 132) E. Jimenez (27.3) (DH 132)
  • (R 87) K. Lee (25.6) (C 62 + 1B 17)
  • (L 110) N. Lopez (29.0) (2B 100; SS 10)
  • (105) (R) M. Maldonado (37.5) + (R) M. Stassi (33.0) (C 100 + DH 5)
  • (S 140) Y. Moncada (28.8) (3B 130 DH 10)
  • (R 145) L. Robert Jr. (26.6) (CF 135 + DH 10)
  • (R 134) L. Sosa (24.1) (2B 62 + SS 42 + 3B 32)
  • (R 150) A. Vaughn (25.9) (1B 145 + DH 5)

AAA: Z. DeLoach (25.5); T. Elko (25.2); D. Mendick (30.4), C. Perez (27.5); Z. Remillard (30.0); J. Rodriguez (22.8); G. Sheets (27.9); B. Shewmake (26.3)

Cut: M. Moustakas (35.5); K. Pillar (35.2)

Edited by South Side Hit Men

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We're somehow going to end up with Sheets OR Moustakas on the roster...aren't we?

With Grifol as manager both on the roster is a possibility.

• Paper Bag 1