3/17 - Sox @ A's

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That's something you worry about a lot more with legit Top 50 guys...Montgomery and Schultz.

But we will see how long they hold back Thorpe and Nastrini to a lesser extent to get some type of indication.

I disagree. You should preserve service times of all young players as long as you can when you suck  with a bunch of sucky vets u plan to trade.

Work the older youngest in 1st as you continue to mix in more flip candidates next off season . It has to be a continuous process like the Rays do of flipping and always having a talented stream of youngsters and players worthy of being promoted. Then when they are promoted they are more ready theoretically.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Interesting thought. My only comment would be does Getz want to admit so early in his tenure that he screwed up and wasted JR's money by cutting him?

Me thinks not.

They got Maldonado for a reason even if it's a reason some people don't understand. They'll let it play out with some veterans but may not with others. Stassi and Moustakas may not make the cut but usually with veterans now would be the time to cut them loose if you want to give them a chance to latch onto other teams.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They got Maldonado for a reason even if it's a reason some people don't understand. They'll let it play out with some veterans but may not with others. Stassi and Moustakas may not make the cut but usually with veterans now would be the time to cut them loose if you want to give them a chance to latch onto other teams.

I mean, we understand it.

Pedro is desperate for "veteran leaders" (who don't run to first) that he's familiar with from his time with the Royals and they're riding the coattails of Maldonado's reputation and ignoring the last 5 years of his career as a hitter and last two as a defender (2022 as average, 2023 as worst).

It's very easy to understand. It's just fucking stupid.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It is toxic because of Jerry, who is still here, Tony, who is still here, Pedro who is still here.

No free agent wants to go to a 60 win team run by idiots and fossils unless they have no other interested teams. Guys from Korea or marginal MLB players like DeJong grabbed something early so they wouldn't be the couple dozen guys sitting around in March waiting for something/anything. Collusion has been really bad post COVID, even at the high end of the market as Montgomery and Snell are learning and Bellinger learned.

AJ Pollock got similar cash (within $1M) between the buyout and his new deal than if he stayed. Wish he would have stayed even though he was below average so they wouldn't have signed Benintendi for 5 years last offseason.

You're kidding yourself if you think 29 owners are beloved by baseball players, and Reinsdorf stands alone. I'm sure that neither of us know the exact reason DeJong chose the White Sox, and why Getz wanted to wrap up DeJong early. My point is that because of the known toxic atmosphere (which you agree with), the White Sox pay a premium right now to get players they want. That premium either comes in non-discounts, major league deals, or whatever. 

Yes, there is collusion going on. Pollock wound up $1million down on 2023. A million is still money, and he left $8 million on the table to leave Chicago. Why would he take similar money just to leave? He had $13 million on the table, and went back to the open market. 

4 hours ago, T R U said:

Well for one, the manager of the team said as much. The owner of the team said essentially the same thing. It also appears as if they are going to prioritize keeping these veteran players on the roster for the time being.

What makes you think any differently?

Everybody here mocks every statement made by Reinsdorf and Grifol as BS word salads. Except when we want them to be meaningful. I'll wait for camp to break to understand what they're doing. 

50 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Everybody here mocks every statement made by Reinsdorf and Grifol as BS word salads. Except when we want them to be meaningful. I'll wait for camp to break to understand what they're doing. 

Even when camp breaks I give you even money they still don't know what they are doing. 😆 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Quin said:

I mean, we understand it.

Pedro is desperate for "veteran leaders" (who don't run to first) that he's familiar with from his time with the Royals and they're riding the coattails of Maldonado's reputation and ignoring the last 5 years of his career as a hitter and last two as a defender (2022 as average, 2023 as worst).

It's very easy to understand. It's just fucking stupid.

It may well be but we won't ever know . Some baseball people like take charge, knowledgeable catchers . Did the Sox pay too much and might've got him for less later or on a minor league deal ?Maybe or probably but it's water under the bridge and $4M . Maybe he'll help a pitcher be worth more over the course of his career. That might be the part people don't understand even if it seems highly unlikely.

On the surface you'll look at stats and say he was worthless and feel vindicated .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

You're kidding yourself if you think 29 owners are beloved by baseball players, and Reinsdorf stands alone. I'm sure that neither of us know the exact reason DeJong chose the White Sox, and why Getz wanted to wrap up DeJong early. My point is that because of the known toxic atmosphere (which you agree with), the White Sox pay a premium right now to get players they want. That premium either comes in non-discounts, major league deals, or whatever. 

Yes, there is collusion going on. Pollock wound up $1million down on 2023. A million is still money, and he left $8 million on the table to leave Chicago. Why would he take similar money just to leave? He had $13 million on the table, and went back to the open market. 

Chris,

I would like you to introduce you to John Middleton, the closest thing to Bill Veeck in the 21st Century.

https://www.philadelphiabaseballreview.com/2022/12/theres-no-doubt-now-middleton-putting.html?m=1

https://www.allsides.com/news/2023-10-19-1922/sports-phillies-owner-john-middleton-acrobatically-gave-baseballs-philly-fans

https://www.essentiallysports.com/mlb-baseball-news-john-middleton-mlb-will-fine-him-phillies-owners-awesome-act-stands-out-from-the-likes-of-unpopular-john-fisher-and-hal-steinbrenner-winning-fans-hearts/

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I would like you to introduce you to John Middleton, the closest thing to Bill Veeck in the 21st Century.

You make a compelling argument, Stone Pony. Weird that Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery haven't dropped their salary demands dramatically to play for such a selfless billionaire. They're probably calling their agents right now to send him blank contracts. I'll watch for their signings tomorrow in the news. 

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You make a compelling argument, Stone Pony. Weird that Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery haven't dropped their salary demands dramatically to play for such a selfless billionaire. They're probably calling their agents right now to send him blank contracts. I'll watch for their signings tomorrow in the news. 

Chris,

The several levels of bosses you report through, Jerry, Tony, Brooks, Thome, others, made it so teams that reach the third or fourth thresholds of the “Competitive Balance Tax” (named similar to the “Affordable Health Care Act”)  lose draft pick slots and bonus pool money. 

Jerry likes it that way. Stops the handful of MLB owners who want to field winning teams each season from signing all the best players. Jerry loves fielding bad teams and knocking payroll under the checks he receives from NYC just for fielding guys wearing MLB laundry. Doesn’t matter if they are quality players. Never has since 1981.

Looking forward to the master class in winning you have planned for 2024 and beyond. Moustakas, Chavez, Maldonado, Fletcher. I can smell the crisp cool World Series November air just thinking all the winning you’ll enjoy with Jerry over the next seven months.

PS - Eat this.

Sincerely,

Jason Benetti

Proud employee of a competent MLB organization for the very first time.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Chris,

The several levels of bosses you report through, Jerry, Tony, Brooks, Thome, others, made it so teams that reach the third or fourth thresholds of the “Competitive Balance Tax” (named similar to the “Affordable Health Care Act”)  lose draft pick slots and bonus pool money. 

Jerry likes it that way. Stops the handful of MLB owners who want to field winning teams each season from signing all the best players. Jerry loves fielding bad teams and knocking payroll under the checks he receives from NYC just for fielding guys wearing MLB laundry. Doesn’t matter if they are quality players. Never has since 1981.

Looking forward to the master class in winning you have planned for 2024 and beyond. Moustakas, Chavez, Maldonado, Fletcher. I can smell the crisp cool World Series November air just thinking all the winning you’ll enjoy with Jerry over the next seven months.

PS - Eat this.

Sincerely,

Jason Benetti

Proud employee of a competent MLB organization for the very first time.

I'm not getting what you're laying down, here, Stone Pony. Affordable care Act? What does that have to do with anything? 

I'm still not sure why the Sox were so bad after 2011. Reinsdorf meddling? KW/Hahn ideological tug of war? Hahn clearly not knowing what he's doing in baseball? It appears you don't, either. 

I have said I do like the idea of bringing in a bunch of cheap bodies to fill out the bullpen. Looks like that won't be an issue. I don't think there was a better defensive SS on the market than DeJong, was there? And for all the pining some of the people here want to do over Adam Duvall, Pillar/Fletcher will probably suffice. 

Cochet, soroka, Fedde and Flexen look good to serviceable. I'm not sure what you would have done differently.