New Assistant for KW

Guest JimH

Just released on the White Sox site:

The Chicago White Sox have named Dave Wilder as a Special Assistant to General Manager Ken Williams.

Wilder, 43, has spent the last four seasons with the Milwaukee Brewers, working as a special assignment scout in 2003 and after serving as vice president-player personnel from 2000-02. In that capacity, Wilder was the primary talent evaluator for the Brewers at both the major and minor league levels, oversaw their scouting and player development systems and directed the organization’s professional scouting staff efforts.

Prior to joining the Brewers organization, Wilder was the assistant general manager for the Chicago Cubs during the 1999 season after spending the 1996-98 seasons as the Cubs farm director. Before joining the Cubs, he worked five seasons (1991-95) with the Atlanta Braves in various capacities.

Wilder played seven seasons in the minor leagues as an outfielder with Oakland and the Cubs before retiring as a player in 1989. He began his player development career with the A’s in 1990 as both a scout and coach with Class A Medford of the Northwest League.

Go talk to some of the people who follow Milwuakee's farm system and have watched it jump from totally s***ty to one of the highest rated in the game.

Go talk to people who give this guy credit for landing the CF they've got up there now, the guy who hit .312 with 40+ stolen bases who they picked off of waivers.

This is a good move for the Sox.

Go talk to some of the people who follow Milwuakee's farm system and have watched it jump from totally s***ty to one of the highest rated in the game.

Go talk to people who give this guy credit for landing the CF they've got up there now, the guy who hit .312 with 40+ stolen bases who they picked off of waivers.

Podsednik is a stud, they do have a bunch of good kids.

The Brewers system definitely has taken a turn for the better. From AA down, it is pretty well stocked with potential high impact prospects.

Wonder if this means Roland Hemond may be cutting back or leaving?

The Brewers system definitely has taken a turn for the better. From AA down, it is pretty well stocked with potential high impact prospects.

Wonder if this means Roland Hemond may be cutting back or leaving?

or we found our replacement for KW.

How old is he? I liked Alex Sanchez a ton, who did they get for him?

How old is he? I liked Alex Sanchez a ton, who did they get for him?

Didn't Sanchez get cut and wind up on the Tigers?

Posdenik was a guy they picked up on waivers who was very impressive last season.

Jim,

I think its easy for teams to build a great farm system if they are always near the bottom. Thye get to pick high every year. That's how the Cubs built there system.

its a lot easier to stock farm clubs with talent when you are drafting in the top 5 every year.

I tend to disagree. A teams farm system is not made great by their first round pick, but by their ability to draft well all the way through.

Most of the top picks are monetary purposes and quite often many of the top players slide to the 10-20 range as they outprice themselves from the low payroll teams, who are usually stuck in "bottom feeder" mode.

The Brewers have done a much better job as late when it comes to having a strong all around draft. I'd say after the first two or three rounds, it doesn't mean much where a team is picking. What matters is who the scouts like and how willing the team is to go out and sign some players the slid to fair deals as well as how well they can gauge a players interest on going pro as opposed to going to college or staying in school.

Chisoxfan:

You're exactly right, it has much more to do with doing their homework than it does picking in the top 5.

Having extra draft picks helps as well, although I don't think the Brewers had that many because they never had any big payroll guys leave that would've gotten them a 1st round comp pick, or none I recall.

TQ ... the Cubs got Prior up high in the draft, that's about it. They did a lot of good work in Latin America, guys as free agents from down there, etc. Several of their top prospects were lower picks, this kid Miltre they've got in AA being one.

They also got a ton of sandwich picks and comp picks and their system is rated higher, although they picked mostly mid first round just like the White Sox the past few years, with one or two exceptions.

By all accounts, the Brewers have done a good job rebuilding their system and I'm glad to have this guy with the Sox since the Sox need to rebuild the talent base again.

The new guy is a Special Assistant to the GM, not the Assistant GM.

A Special Assistant usually has a role more as a consultant.  More scouting and talent evaluation than administration.

I used to work for the Federal Government. Next we we will have a deputy assistant, then a deputy assistant for administration, then special aide to the deputy assistant.....and then Jose Valentin will be the shortstop.

Chisoxfan:

You're exactly right, it has much more to do with doing their homework than it does picking in the top 5.

Having extra draft picks helps as well, although I don't think the Brewers had that many because they never had any big payroll guys leave that would've gotten them a 1st round comp pick, or none I recall.

TQ ... the Cubs got Prior up high in the draft, that's about it.  They did a lot of good work in Latin America, guys as free agents from down there, etc.  Several of their top prospects were lower picks, this kid Miltre they've got in AA being one.

They also got a ton of sandwich picks and comp picks and their system is rated higher, although they picked mostly mid first round just like the White Sox the past few years, with one or two exceptions.

By all accounts, the Brewers have done a good job rebuilding their system and I'm glad to have this guy with the Sox since the Sox need to rebuild the talent base again.

Actually I was talking about the farm system in general not who has made it to the bigs yet. I strongly feel that your chances are better if you have multiple years picking higher in the draft. If you are near the bottom of the league three or four years in a row then you are always picking high. I realize people have jobs and must do there work. I also realize that many players come from later rounds. My point is that you have a much better chance at getting better players if you suck.

Some better top picks (first or second round) by the Cubs:

Kerry Wood

Mark Prior

Bobby Hill-second round

Bobby Brownlie

Corey Patterson

Andy Sisco- 2 round

Kuke Hagerty- Supplement ist round

Jon Garland- Now with the sox

Anyway its a silly argument.

You're both right. Your chances are certainly better to get high impact players if you are drafting high all the time like the Brewers have for many years. But to build a farm system with depth, you have to be good at plucking players that make an impact from the early to middle rounds.

To bring this back full circle, the point is the Brewers have been drafting high for several years and not gotten much in terms of results. They have just now stocked their farm system with the drafts from the past few years, so there can certainly be something to be said about the quality of the guy we hired if he has had a direct hand in that (which I believe he has).

So the Brewers are getting better results recently than they have in the past with essentially the same picks. Many of their top prospects were not 1st rounders.

Jenkins likes him.

Are there any more details as to what his exact duties will be? I don't see him fetching coffee..

??

?? what..?

What's he going to be helping Kenny with..? Sending faxes :P

Nothing is very clear - although I have not read too much either.

Damn work.