Any news on Carl Everett?

SoxFan1

I don't think that Sandy is a top tier FA either, so you wouldn't two picks for him. Can someone confirm or correct me on that?

i saw in another thread that he was a type A free agent :usa

The ratings came out for compensation from losing free agents,

For the prominent Sox Free Agents,

Everrett, Colon, Alomar, Gordon, and Alomar are all A type players which means we will get the most compensation.

Valentine is a type B player.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the value of these ratings, and if the Sox will recieve them....Soxbadger

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on whether or not he will be offered arbitration from the sox, cuz if he is they would get draft picks...but i doubt they will ( i can hope though )??? :usa

By the way, who do u all think the sox will offer arbitration in order to get draft picks if they cant come to a deal with the sox???

i'm guessing Bartolo Colon, Tom Gordon, Sandy Alomar, and Scott Sullivan this is only if the sox and them can't agree on a contract :usa

If we offer him arbitration, he may very well go and accept it, then we'd be stuck with him.

I wouldn't mind being "stuck" with him.

At $7-$9 million?? Puhlease

Why do you assume that he will get 7-9?

He made $9 last year. His camp would not submit an arbitration figure much lower than that. The Sox couldn't go too much lower, for fear they would lose.

The way arbitration works is that both submit a figure and the arbitrator has to choose one or the other.

For example, if Everett's agent submitted $8 million and the Sox submitted $5 million, if the arbitrator felt that Everett was worth more than $5 he would be obligated to give him the $8 million. He can't "round down".

Granted, the owners have won the majority of arbitration cases the past few years, but that would not hold well if the figures are too far apart. The $7-$9 million I posted were just a guess, but to me, $6 mil is too much for him, based on his past numbers. Coming off a solid year, he would have more leverage in my opinion.

I understand that. But, I do definitely think he is worth 6 million.

Opinions vary.....

What do YOU want out of a 6 million dollar hitter? As much as players get paid today, even with the market taking a downturn, I think if we got the same production from someone as Carl gave last year, 6 mill would definitely be worth it.

For $6 million I would not want a guy with career averages of:

.280 with 18 HR and 74 RBI

Keep in mind that those numbers are also skewed by two huge years in 99 and 2000 and a solid year in 2003. So five and a half years at well below the above averages and three that help raise them.

Those numbers are not worth nearly what he has made, nor will likely make this year, in my opinion. If you want to bank on him having another big year, go for it. I'll take my money and chances elsewhere.

Opinions vary.....

What do YOU want out of a 6 million dollar hitter? As much as players get paid today, even with the market taking a downturn, I think if we got the same production from someone as Carl gave last year, 6 mill would definitely be worth it.

You've also got to remember that "we" didn't get all that much production out of him. Texas did, in the first half.

Opinions vary.....

You've also got to remember that "we" didn't get all that much production out of him. Texas did, in the first half.

Yeah I know he hit bout 16 homers in Texas, here's what he hit for da White sox when he joined em.

In 73 games, he hit .301, with 10 homers, 41 RBI's, and a .377 OBP.

Also he was born in Tampa, FL which I neva knew, so hence the rumors of him goin home to play for the Devil Rays.

Opinions vary.....

Yeah I know he hit bout 16 homers in Texas, here's what he hit for da White sox when he joined em.

In 73 games, he hit .301, with 10 homers, 41 RBI's, and a .377 OBP.

Also he was born in Tampa, FL which I neva knew, so hence the rumors of him goin home to play for the Devil Rays.

He actually produced more for us than I thought he did. But double those numbers (to simulate a full season with the Sox) and take into consideration his awesome defensive abilities in CF, I think I'd rather have Rowand. Spend the money saved on pitching.

Yeah, if I ever see Everett in CF, it will be too soon. KochThis and myself said the exact same thing when I was in Chicago in July. This guy has NO idea how to play CF, cant hit the right cutoff, his positioning is awful, and his arm isn't exactly Vlad-like.

If you can't keep up, you'll have to look it up......  It has been reported in a multitude of sources that he will not be back and has even called KW and thanked him and wished him well.

Rex, I think it was KW who called Everett and said thanks, but we can't give you the kind of money your asking for. However, I must disagree with your idea that Everett and Colon are bye-bye for sure. If the market is soft we just might make a run at one or both before the off-season is said and done.

Rex, I think it was KW who called Everett and said thanks, but we can't give you the kind of money your asking for. However, I must disagree with your idea that Everett and Colon are bye-bye for sure. If the market is soft we just might make a run at one or both before the off-season is said and done.

Excactly. Unless KW pays the role of our Mr. Hudler, there is no way he can be 100% sure about anything.

If he's gonna sign for bargain prices, why don't we sign

him??

He's a decent player, a pretty good hitter.

I mean why acquire him and let him go if he's not

gonna command much money??

He'd want at least $5 million in my opinion, and I suppose if ur gonna pay Jose $5 million, why not Jurassic Carl $5 million :lol:. But I think he'll head home to Tampa Bay in 2004.

I don't think Carl will get more than $5 mill per because I do think the market will that soft...but again, I thought Jose would have problems finding a backup role.

To quote someone else:

"What the hell do I know?"

Forkit!

Hmmm.. I think he'll make at least $7 million.

i don't think there is that much mystery.

KW is fearful of being able to find another shortstop,

There's nobody in the system even close.

The guys who are better will be A) much more expensive and B) disinterested the White Sox. The scrappers aren't worth the trouble. Jose was the best option -- although I agree the price was too steep.

As for CF, the Sox have alternatives -- Rowand, Harris and Reed.

The're obviously not as good as Everett, but the Sox want to find out wha the first two can do.