It begins...

Lip Man 1

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I went to UK and broadcast football and men's basketball for the campus station WBKY as well as writing for the school newspaper. 

Kentucky has been good to me and that's plenty of soul. 

It’s ok, he is an Indiana fan, you find them lower than Yankees Rangers and Cowboys 

• Fire 1

I am excited about the upcoming season. I am extremely curious about how the Sox starting rotation is going to do. Yes, the rotation could crater, but I am very curious to watch, and I think our 1st three could be good/ solid. The fact that Touki isn't in the rotation looks like a step up to me. 

I am completely buying the improved clubhouse thing is going to show a better product on the field. Do I think the Sox will be good? No, but I think the team is less bad than last year in every way, every way.

People complaining about the bullpen. It can't, just can't be worse that last year's. People complaining about the weak bats for our two catchers, how can the bats be worse than Grandal and Selby? I expect a huge upgrade in offensive production from the  two outfield corners, not good, but much less bad than last year.  And the defense, all around will be way better. I am confident that Vaughn wil take a clear step forward with his bat. NIcky is a big step up from what we've had at 2nd base for what seems forever. Is he great? No, but again, way less bad. People freaking out about Sox 6 thru 9 batters in lineup. Have we forgotten how terrible Sox 6 thru 9 batters were there last year, and the year before, and year before. It's gonna be the same; why freak out over it for the upcoming year?

I'm going with my Ghostbuster quote from before, "There definitely a very slim chance this White Sox team could succeed". I'm going  with and hanging onto that very slim chance. I'm a White Sox fan and I'm excited for the season to start. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

I am excited about the upcoming season. I am extremely curious about how the Sox starting rotation is going to do. Yes, the rotation could crater, but I am very curious to watch, and I think our 1st three could be good/ solid. The fact that Touki isn't in the rotation looks like a step up to me. 

I am completely buying the improved clubhouse thing is going to show a better product on the field. Do I think the Sox will be good? No, but I think the team is less bad than last year in every way, every way.

People complaining about the bullpen. It can't, just can't be worse that last year's. People complaining about the weak bats for our two catchers, how can the bats be worse than Grandal and Selby? I expect a huge upgrade in offensive production from the  two outfield corners, not good, but much less bad than last year.  And the defense, all around will be way better. I am confident that Vaughn wil take a clear step forward with his bat. NIcky is a big step up from what we've had at 2nd base for what seems forever. Is he great? No, but again, way less bad. People freaking out about Sox 6 thru 9 batters in lineup. Have we forgotten how terrible Sox 6 thru 9 batters were there last year, and the year before, and year before. It's gonna be the same; why freak out over it for the upcoming year?

I'm going with my Ghostbuster quote from before, "There definitely a very slim chance this White Sox team could succeed". I'm going  with and hanging onto that very slim chance. I'm a White Sox fan and I'm excited for the season to start. 

1. Yes, Martin Maldonado can be a downgrade from the catchers spot last year, because he was worse than the White Sox’s catchers last year. Imagine Grandal except he also doesn’t walk and you have to constantly hear what a great job he’s doing, that’s what Maldonado was last year. Hopefully Lee can do something with this opportunity.

2. Nicky Lopez had an OPS last year 30 pints lower than Elvis Andrus last year .630 is not “way less bad” than .660.

3. Note how much of your concept Is “maybe they will all break out this year”. That was supposed to be a part of their competitive team last year! We heard that all the time. Maybe it happens this time, but with this coaching staff and the GM having no control over rushing people upwards I will believe it when I see it.

4. You’re right, that bullpen performance last year was unusually bad for the resources put into it. However. Same coach, same pitching coach, less talent. Will count it as improved when it is improved.

5. The Sox have some downside risks too. Luis Robert was their only real contributor last year, and he counts as injury prone and likely difficult to coach. Room for improvement if healthy the whole year, but where are they without him or if he slows down a tiny bit?

6. The White Sox had fewer WAR and a worse run differential than the Royals. They only wound up in 4th place because they were a little lucky and the Royals were unlucky. That could repeat this year, they get lucky and it carries them to 65 wins, or a team with better talent could also drop into the 50s, even if you believe they have better talent. 

I’ve seen way too many people give credit to a GM who was making poor moves that made people feel good only to proclaim no one could have seen issues coming when they happened. So personally, I still think they’re crap and the jury is out on whether they have learned any lessons from how they got into this mess. That last part is all I’m interested in this season, and the rushing guys upwards who haven’t earned it does not give me any confidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sign Carl Edwards Jr. to the active roster and have him pitch behind Crochet or the number 5 starter as relief for the opener. Then trade him at the deadline if he’s worth anything or release him if he sucks.

3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I, too, am excited. 

I had hope for the catching position, but don't like the Maldonado signing. We'll see just how cooked he is. Maybe Lee's bat catches on, and Stassi is the veteran starter. This is a make or break year for Vaughn. Lopez can't be worse than the Sosa/Andrus production last year. Same with DeJong at short. Anderson was putrid. Moncada's playing for a contract, so maybe he'll stay healthy, and put up the 3-5 bWAR we've always expected. 

I am very interested in Getz's approach to the pitching staff. The bullpen could be effective with the vets they're counting on for bounce backs. Hoping Crochet uses his 90 innings wisely, and if Nastrini takes his lumps this year, he'll be the better for it going forward. 

• 4 weeks later...