2024 MLB News not AL Central related

flavum

Posted (edited)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40078435/source-padres-nearing-deal-marlins-2b-luis-arraez

Dillon Head, Jakob Marsee and Korean reliever now in AA headline the deal...

Padres now with 7 starters who began as middle infielders.

Profar Machado Kim Cronenworth Tatis Bogaerts Arraez.

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds

Currently favorites for the 6th and final WC spot.

Edited by caulfield12

Posted (edited)

He fits with their team right now but I wonder if he's Ha-Seong Kim's eventual replacement. Does seem a little odd to have a 1B/DH tandem that might combine for 20 home runs. 

Edited by nrockway

The Cease rebound this year couldn’t have been more obvious.  I’m happy they traded him before risking injury, but it’s disappointing teams weren’t more interested in him.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Anyone watching Skenes debut? First inning: 2 K's, a walk to Bellinger, a hard hit flyout to deep center. Throwing his fastball at 101 but struck out Suzuki on 3 nasty looking breaking pitches. 

Second inning: ground out, hit by pitch, walk, single. bases loaded. uh oh. got out of it with no runs scoring.  

Fourth inning: prominent slugger Nico Hoerner homers to left field.

Fifth inning: infield single, double, his day is over.

Final line: 4.0 IP, 6h, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 K. 84 pitches. 2 WHIP, 6.75 ERA. I think I prefer Nasty Nick.  

not Skenes related but the Pirates play-by-play guy called b2b homers as "back to back chicken shack". that Grateful Dead song  popped into my head yesterday for the first time in like a decade, funny coincidence and a good call.

Edited by nrockway

Is Edwin Diaz cooked? They gave him $100mil to miss an entire season due to an injury he sustained celebrating an exhibition game victory, now he's pitching to a 5.5 ERA and giving up like 100 homers a game. He has a blown save in 4 of his last 6 outings. He just gave up 4 runs to 1 out against the Marlins. 

It's funny to me when bad things happen to Steve Cohen even though I kinda like the Mets. They seem to think they're making the playoffs this year, maybe they want to sell their farm for Kopech and Fedde. 

28 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Is Edwin Diaz cooked? They gave him $100mil to miss an entire season due to an injury he sustained celebrating an exhibition game victory, now he's pitching to a 5.5 ERA and giving up like 100 homers a game. He has a blown save in 4 of his last 6 outings. He just gave up 4 runs to 1 out against the Marlins. 

It's funny to me when bad things happen to Steve Cohen even though I kinda like the Mets. They seem to think they're making the playoffs this year, maybe they want to sell their farm for Kopech and Fedde. 

Mets have promised to be patient and rebuild the right way with youth under Stearns.  They're also likely to lose Alonso to FA and Lindor has been a massive disappointment and lastly Atl/Philly the better teams by far.

Look at Hader for another example of a closer who looked close to untouchable and where he's at now.

Have max out those guys like Clase and Duran as youngsters...$100+ million contracts for vets almost never work out in this day and age.

Edited by caulfield12