Sox now 1-7, on pace for 20-142 record

2 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

They traded Tatis Jr, Madrigal and Burger  for nothing. This White Sox team would be alot better if those 3 were in the lineup.

Madrigal was traded for the best/second best closer in the game at the time (with Liam).

Liam was down to move to a "pitch whenever" role since Kimbrel is one of those guys that needs the 9th, but TLR did the opposite.

And, once again, Nick Madrigal has sucked since leaving the Sox.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Quin said:

Madrigal was traded for the best/second best closer in the game at the time (with Liam).

Liam was down to move to a "pitch whenever" role since Kimbrel is one of those guys that needs the 9th, but TLR did the opposite.

And, once again, Nick Madrigal has sucked since leaving the Sox.

Madrigal is like a 1 WAR player so the real problem was probably drafting him. He wasn't the worst pick but India, Kelenic and others were on the board.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:31 AM, bmags said:

Is there a better example for how stupid the anti-tanking attempts are than the 2024 chicago white sox? Sure, you could say they shouldn't have traded Cease and Bummer et al and have an even further, more painful recovery from this. But the White Sox gave a bunch of veterans jobs and are playing them over marginal prospects. It has made...zero fucking difference.

Not sure if you are for tanking or against. I'm saying the fact the Sox are tanking again after just completing a tank cycle is unforgiveable. And that's why I'm becoming a fair weather fan of the Sox and not investing my time again until they get serious about winning. The only reason to attend a Sox game in person now are the sights and smells in what is generally regarded as one of the most generic lousy ballparks in the league. And the eats and drinks now are not worth the experience considering what you have to pay to park there. The Sox are even bad at tanking.

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Not sure if you are for tanking or against. I'm saying the fact the Sox are tanking again after just completing a tank cycle is unforgiveable. And that's why I'm becoming a fair weather fan of the Sox and not investing my time again until they get serious about winning. The only reason to attend a Sox game in person now are the sights and smells in what is generally regarded as one of the most generic lousy ballparks in the league. And the eats and drinks now are not worth the experience considering what you have to pay to park there. The Sox are even bad at tanking.

The best part is that there's no reward for tanking. They can't pick higher than 10th and they can't pick in the competitive balance round, so it's not like they get pick #31.

I think Bmags is saying they're selling moves like DeJong and Maldonado as "we're trying to compete" when there's no point cause they're horrid when now is the exact time that they should see if they have anything in their guys like Sosa, Colas, Lee and, until this past week, Rodriguez.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Madrigal is like a 1 WAR player so the real problem was probably drafting him. He wasn't the worst pick but India, Kelenic and others were on the board.

He's a 2.5 war player if he could ever complete a season, but that's part of the problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T R U said:

He's a 2.5 war player if he could ever complete a season, but that's part of the problem.

I'd agree but not at 3B. Cubs don't think he's really a 2B and he loses a ton of defensive value as merely an average defensive 3B and his bat barely plays at 2B, let alone 3rd. So now he's closer to 1 than 3 imo.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

The best part is that there's no reward for tanking. They can't pick higher than 10th and they can't pick in the competitive balance round, so it's not like they get pick #31.

I think Bmags is saying they're selling moves like DeJong and Maldonado as "we're trying to compete" when there's no point cause they're horrid when now is the exact time that they should see if they have anything in their guys like Sosa, Colas, Lee and, until this past week, Rodriguez.

Exactly. The least you can do when you have a historically bad team is play young guys. Oh wait, that would mean 'rushing them.' When I saw our bottom of the order would be Lopez, Maldy and Bong I knew it was seriously time to abandon ship emotionally at least for now. During the Robin era and Ozzie era and Ricky era there at least was reasonable hope.

Just now, greg775 said:

Exactly. The least you can do when you have a historically bad team is play young guys. Oh wait, that would mean 'rushing them.' When I saw our bottom of the order would be Lopez, Maldy and Bong I knew it was seriously time to abandon ship emotionally at least for now. During the Robin era and Ozzie era and Ricky era there at least was reasonable hope.

Yeah, it plays different with Montgomery and Ramos — they need time in the minors still.

The other guys? They're not as crucial to the team's future so might as well see what you got.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:59 PM, ScootsMcGoots said:

Prime in terms of putting a winning  product on the field. The 94-08 Sox and 90s Bulls are long gone. There has been nearly zero winning since. That is what I mean by he's long past his prime.

We’re definitely on the same page. It’s possible Virginia McCaskey could put a winning Bears’ team on the field next year, even at 101.