Guess Trade Values of Sox Starters

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This team isn't competing for anything for the next several years. That changes of course if new ownership comes into play and immediately becomes aggressive in talent acquisition. 

Yeah but it seems to me some of these peeps on here are hoping the Sox trade anybody and everybody off this year's team who other teams might 'want.' If the Sox do so, we're not just talking a team that can't compete but again, a ridiculous 50-win type team. I mean is that what you want? 50 wins two years in a row or more? This is crazy IMO. At some point you can't tank every year in hopes young prospects we have and are to draft will lead us to greatness. At some point 50 wins is a total crime against MLB.

9 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

He won’t be one of the top starters available at the trade deadline because he doesn’t have name recognition and he hasn’t done this before.  I doubt other teams will even view him as highly as Giolito and Lynn of last year.  But if you can get a return for Fedde like those two brought back, you have to jump on it.

Fedde was a first round pick that was a consensus top 100 MLB prospect. Yes, he struggled in his first MLB stint but obviously the pedigree and talent have always been there. He turned in an awesome performance in KBO last year that seemed to turn his career around. If he continues to pitch even close to the way he’s started this season, he will be highly sought after in July. Who are all these other big name recognition starting pitchers that will be available at the trade deadline? I’m genuinely curious. Can you name 5 better?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Fedde was a first round pick that was a consensus top 100 MLB prospect. Yes, he struggled in his first MLB stint but obviously the pedigree and talent have always been there. He turned in an awesome performance in KBO last year that seemed to turn his career around. If he continues to pitch even close to the way he’s started this season, he will be highly sought after in July. Who are all these other big name recognition starting pitchers that will be available at the trade deadline? I’m genuinely curious. Can you name 5 better?

https://theathletic.com/5419703/2024/04/17/mlb-free-agents-2024-2025-offseason/

Dylan Cease would be one if the Padres fall out…Burnes (unlikely)…Verlander, Kikuchi, Scherzer, Pivetta, Quintana, Severino, Alex Cobb, it is a pretty thin list.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://theathletic.com/5419703/2024/04/17/mlb-free-agents-2024-2025-offseason/

Dylan Cease would be one if the Padres fall out…Burnes (unlikely)…Verlander, Kikuchi, Scherzer, Pivetta, Quintana, Severino, Alex Cobb, it is a pretty thin list.

Exactly. There aren’t 5 better names on this list that will be available in July if Fedde continues to pitch the way he has the past couple years. Especially when you consider how cheap his contract is too (compared to someone like Verlander).

As things stand today, the likely sellers in July are CHW, OAK, HOU, LAA, TB, WSH, COL, MIA, PIT. A few other teams will emerge as sellers by July but as we saw from last season the expanded playoff format keeps a lot more clubs in as buyers than sellers compared to prior years.

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not to be a contrarian, but if the goal is to trade anybody with an MLB pulse at the deadline for prospects who are not near ready, won't next year's team on paper be just as miserable or worse than this year's squad?

I mean if they trade any pitcher who is meh or better and Eloy (and Moncada) if Eloy keeps hitting, won't next year's team draw even fewer fans and interest than this year's? Oh well as you all know I don't value anybody on our current roster except Crochet, Clevinger, Kopech, Eloy (maybe), Robert and Pham and Mendick. Getting rid of all of them will leave the Sox mired in this disgusting swamp they are in now.

If ILoy keeps hitting?  He's at .259/.328/.431/.759. with an option for $16.5 million next year.  Unless he pushes that up to .850 or .900, no one is picking up that option.

17 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

This looks a lot different than it did a few weeks ago. I clearly overvalued Crochet and undervalued Fedde. Soroka has moved into the no trade value category although perhaps Flexen can instead return a couple fliers if he’s able to right the ship.

No need to rush into this.  Nothing is happening until at least June anyway.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Of all teams, we should know that that means nothing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

There will be teams on the bubble who will surprise and decide to cash in on the weak pitchers' market. But yeah, guys like Jesus Luzardo probably won't be available, now. Lots of injuries. 

37 minutes ago, Quin said:

Of all teams, we should know that that means nothing.

The point being made was that teams wouldn't know who he was, so they would ignore any success he was having in his valuation. Fedde's durability is known, and if his upgrades hold until July, he will be sought after.

Edited by WestEddy

Fedde - between the great year he is having and signed for only $7.5M next year, he should command a strong package.

That's about it right now. Would like for at least 2 of Soroka, Keller, Flexen (going to have to up his value in the pen and spot starts/finding himself back in rotation due to injuries), and Clevinger (I think it's unlikely he moves regardless of how he pitches) to pitch their way into trade candidate status come trade deadline.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Fedde - between the great year he is having and signed for only $7.5M next year, he should command a strong package.

That's about it right now. Would like for at least 2 of Soroka, Keller, Flexen (going to have to up his value in the pen and spot starts/finding himself back in rotation due to injuries), and Clevinger (I think it's unlikely he moves regardless of how he pitches) to pitch their way into trade candidate status come trade deadline.

Agreed. Given Crochet’s recent dropoff and other potential concerns regarding availability and durability he’s likely off the trade market until next summer. I’m hoping one of Flexen, Clevinger, and Soroka can return a couple long shot fliers (40 FV types) but that’s unlikely unless they pitch well the next two months.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The point being made was that teams wouldn't know who he was, so they would ignore any success he was having in his valuation. Fedde's durability is known, and if his upgrades hold until July, he will be sought after. Scouts and GMs aren't fanbois who limit themselves to the 5 top names in the game. 

And they don't base it off of a Top 100 ranking when he was a prospect.

Jose Quintana was never a Top 100 and he netted a Cy Young finalist and a rookie Silver Slugger.

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

Jose Quintana was never a Top 100 and he netted a Cy Young finalist and a rookie Silver Slugger.

You’re conflating this entire discussion but whatever

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Quin said:

Teams dont trade for guys based on their old prospect ranking but if the argument is  "He wont get anything good because he isn't a big name" (like someone said earlier in the thread), the fact that he had a pedigree and just took longer to figure it out is relevant.  This isn't some bum off the street who showed up and got lucky a few times. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You’re conflating this entire discussion but whatever

Man, all I'm saying is that no GM cares about Fedde being a Top 100 seven years ago and that if any fanbase should know better, it's the White Sox fanbase.

Yes, obviously if he keeps pitching like this, he'll get a nice package. It's also impossible to tell which pitchers will command larger packages because unlike the Sox, most teams are not out of the playoff hunt in April.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Quin said:

Man, all I'm saying is that no GM cares about Fedde being a Top 100 seven years ago and that if any fanbase should know better, it's the White Sox fanbase.

Yes, obviously if he keeps pitching like this, he'll get a nice package. It's also impossible to tell which pitchers will command larger packages because unlike the Sox, most teams are not out of the playoff hunt in April.

No GM not named Rick Hahn cares about draft order when acquiring assets. I agree with you on that. But BELIEVE used that as one of a list of reasons Fedde wasn't "unknown" - to counter the claim that Fedde wasn't an established name, therefore, he'd have less value. 

I also agree that if Fedde's showing up on top ten lists of ERA, K/9, etc, he will be highly sought after. 

I'm beginning to believe that his contract isn't as big a selling point we previously thought it was. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Quin said:

And that took my post completely out of context. Again, Fedde isn’t a “big” name but he’s also not some AAA journeyman that’s lucking into a good first half. He was highly regarded coming out of college and as a prospect. His first MLB stint didn’t go well but he dominated a competitive international league last season and that success has translated into MLB so far this season. It’s not like some fluke either. Dude has 39 strikeouts in 34.2 IP and a 1.07 WHIP.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And that took my post completely out of context. Again, Fedde isn’t a “big” name but he’s also not some AAA journeyman that’s lucking into a good first half. He was highly regarded coming out of college and as a prospect. His first MLB stint didn’t go well but he dominated a competitive international league last season and that success has translated into MLB so far this season. It’s not like some fluke either. Dude has 39 strikeouts in 34.2 IP and a 1.07 WHIP.

No, it didn't.

You're claiming that his Top 100 status from 7 years ago, when Yoan Moncada and Andrew Benintendi were the Top 2 prospects, will reinforce his trade value. Eloy was #14, Kopech was #16 and Soroka was #78. Imagine the hauls we'll get if they all turn it around.

His KBO performance with revamped mechanics from last year? Sure. His current performance? Yes.

His college performance and minor league performance? Not at all.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

No, it didn't.

You're claiming that his Top 100 status from 7 years ago, when Yoan Moncada and Andrew Benintendi were the Top 2 prospects, will reinforce his trade value. Eloy was #14, Kopech was #16 and Soroka was #78. Imagine the hauls we'll get if they all turn it around.

His KBO performance with revamped mechanics from last year? Sure. His current performance? Yes.

You probably also agree that him not being a "big name" makes no difference either.  So I think you're all pretty much in agreement.  

• Thanks 1

Being a "former top prospect" will keep you from completely falling off the face of the earth, and someone will give you another shot. Someone will give you a minor league roster spot or an NRI to spring training to see if you can capture whatever it was that got you noticed to begin with.

It won't help bring up your trade value as a big league player.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

You probably also agree that him not being a "big name" makes no difference either.  So I think you're all pretty much in agreement.  

That was kind of my point with Quintana.

Right now, he's on track to be an All-Star.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

No, it didn't.

“Fedde was a first round pick that was a consensus top 100 MLB prospect. Yes, he struggled in his first MLB stint but obviously the pedigree and talent have always been there.”

^where did I say his former prospect status will boost his trade value? I didn’t. This comment was in response to while he isn’t a “big” name like Justin Verlander, he’s also not some AAAA scrub like Tim Hill with zero pedigree.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

Exactly! My point was that Fedde has pedigree so the talent was always there. He made some significant adjustments anfter a rough first go in MLB and is now seeing much better results. It’s not like some totally random fluke thing. And if he continues this production for another two months, I don’t see why he couldn’t return a couple 45/50 FV type prospects.

• Like 1