Kazou Matsui

RibbieRubarb

Don't you feel that he would, not only, provide us with a stable leadoff hitter and great defense at 2b...but he's presence would provide added publicity and attnedence that would make up his cost.

We are listed down on the list as possible suitors. I see his best options as us and LA. Seattle and NY he wouldn't be the only Japanese star on the team. Here or LA he would be the Big draw in a Big market! Lots of Ad money too!

yea he will cost a lot, but like Ribbie said, he would bring a lot of added revenue and the cost of his signing would not actually be as much as it would look right away. This is the kind of player KW should seriously take a look at

We already have a SS, at $5 million. He'd have to be traded first.

It would be very interesting, but an extremely doubtful happening, if the Sox signed someone from Japan or Cuba. He might be a player that could help, but he is 27 years old and as all these imports do will be looking for the big money. I can't see the Sox even thinking seriously about it. We all can dream though can't we? Ever thought where we might be with some bucks to spend?

As much as it would be exciting to get a Japanese import in a White Sox uniform, unless we move Valentine it is unlikely he will play here.

If we do trade Valentine, then Kaz becomes a viable option.

I doubt we will sign him for him to play 2nd, especially since other suitors will want him at SS.

SB

I've said all along that I think Jose is gonna get dealt with someone else and when that happens then we'll see the Sox plans. If the Sox pick up Jose's option get someone like Itzuris and then get Matsui to play 2nd then I'd say fine by me. Or if they deal Jose for some type of pitching help to a team like the Mariners looking for a 3rd baseman, then once again fine by me.

If Matsui gets 3-4 mill adn the Sox just sat and picked up Jose's option and keep him on this roster, I for one will be pissed. It will be yet another example of the Sox settling for mediocrity. Well depending on what else they do this offseason.

Most scouts believe he has to play second in the U.S.

great, sign him immediately! If its true he's looking for 3-4 million, KW should offer him that right away. THIS is a guy truly worth that money and could do wonders for our team on and off the field, and if we lose Maggs, he could help alleviate some of the potential loss of merchandise revenue and that sort of thing. I dont know how the Japanese population in Chicago is, but if we were to sign him, then their attendance to Sox games would surely rise. Look at NY and Seattle.

great, sign him immediately! If its true he's looking for 3-4 million, KW should offer him that right away. THIS is a guy truly worth that money and could do wonders for our team on and off the field, and if we lose Maggs, he could help alleviate some of the potential loss of merchandise revenue and that sort of thing. I dont know how the Japanese population in Chicago is, but if we were to sign him, then their attendance to Sox games would surely rise. Look at NY and Seattle.

Everything depends if we can move Kock, Konerko or both. If we can't I suggest forgetting about getting Lil' Matsu right about....now.

Another thing is whether he is overhyped or not. Matsui Dawg didn't have nearly as much power, but he was very clutch all year long, including playoffs and figures to get better. His defense in LF is gold-glove caliber. Smart baserunner, even if only evrage speed.

Is Kazuo Gold Glove-type fielder he's been billed? Is he a legitmate speedster like Ichiro? Can he post 775-800 OPS? Sox can't afford 5+ Mill if he falls short of any of the 3.

Everything depends if we can move Kock, Konerko or both.  If we can't I suggest forgetting about getting Lil' Matsu right about....now.

Another thing is whether he is overhyped or not.  Matsui Dawg didn't have nearly as much power, but he was very clutch all year long, including playoffs and figures to get better.  His defense in LF is gold-glove caliber. Smart baserunner, even if only evrage speed.

Is Kazuo Gold Glove-type fielder he's been billed? Is he a legitmate speedster like Ichiro? Can he post 775-800 OPS?    Sox can't afford 5+ Mill if he falls short of any of the 3.

Sure they can, because I guarantee he will be at least as good as the current $5 million shortstop the Sox have.

Sure they can, because I guarantee he will be at least as good as the current $5 million shortstop the Sox have

How do you know? Have you EVER even seen him walk down Mishima Boulevard let alone hit a 95mph fastball?

Seriously, Hideki's slugging fell from 600 to 450 in transition, a huge dropoff. For all you know Kazuo willl be a Japanese Royce Clayton- bad hitter, not much of a base-stealer, handy but with a weak arm, little range, making about 4.5 mill a year....And at least back in 2001, Sox payroll was 7-10 Mill HIGHER than it's likely going to be this year, thus making Clayton at least somewhat affordable.

The fact that we overpaid Jose should only make the Sox MORE stingy, not less. This idiotic logic of "well if we paid Jose 5 million, we should have enough money for anyone we want" is, well, idiotic.