Why can't we expand payroll?

maggsmaggs

I am sick and tired of having a marginal payroll for the WhiteSox. Okay, $60 million is an average payroll, but when your biggest rivals, the Cubs, have a $90 million payroll, things must be changed. Chicago is a huge market, the Sox should have a high payroll to the likes of $75 million would be fine and yet extremely competitive. Big sports cities should have big payrolls. why won't management see the need for a higer payroll????

I am sick and tired of having a marginal payroll for the WhiteSox.  Okay, $60 million is an average payroll, but when your biggest rivals, the Cubs, have a $90 million payroll, things must be changed.  Chicago is a huge market, the Sox should have a high payroll to the likes of $75 million would be fine and yet extremely competitive.  Big sports cities should have big payrolls.  why won't management see the need for a higer payroll????

Because Sox management wants the fans to make the effort and show up first and then have faith in them to provide a quality product after that occurs.

I on the other hand think it is the responsibility of management to provide a quality product that people consider to be worth their money so that people will come. JR has to realize that although MLB is a monopoly baseball in Chicago is not. While in the past the Cubs may not have always offered a great on field product they have other intangibles that have made people want to pay for their product. The Sox don't have the luxury of these intangibles (ie historic ballpark, location) so they are going to need an exciting on field product to draw fans and I believe for this to work they have to take the risk and make the first move. However I am sure JR is much happier not taking the risk because I am sure he is still making a profit the way things are.

Because Sox management wants the fans to make the effort and show up first and then have faith in them to provide a quality product after that occurs.

I on the other hand think it is the responsibility of management to provide a quality product that people consider to be worth their money so that people will come. JR has to realize that although MLB is a monopoly baseball in Chicago is not. While in the past the Cubs may not have always offered a great on field product they have other intangibles that have made people want to pay for their product. The Sox don't have the luxury of these intangibles (ie historic ballpark, location) so they are going to need an exciting on field product to draw fans and I believe for this to work they have to take the risk and make the first move. However I am sure JR is much happier not taking the risk because I am sure he is still making a profit the way things are.

Fans did show up last year and the first thing the dumbass Sox brass does is say we have to cut Payroll next year ......Brass is so brillant :fyou JR @ KW

:finger :finger :finger You don't have to spend like the Yanks to win, but the problem is this f***ing team never Spends, they think everybody is gonna play for nothing. f*** the Cheap ass called Reinsdork :fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou

I hate you Reinsdorf

Fans did show up last year and the first thing the dumbass Sox brass does is say we have to cut Payroll next year ......Brass is so brillant :fyou JR @ KW

Umm, do the math, we are NOT cutting payroll. The payroll is going up nearly 20% from about $51 mil to somewhere between $58 and $60 mil. The payroll increase is nearly identical to the percentage increase in attendance...

Umm, do the math, we are NOT cutting payroll.  The payroll is going up nearly 20% from about $51 mil to somewhere between $58 and $60 mil.  The payroll increase is nearly identical to the percentage increase in attendance...

We shall see were the payroll is there is no set # saying it will be close to 60 mil

Could the moderators please do something about all these factually challenged little punks who think that if they spout all the vulgarities and angry faces with middle fingers up that they want, that it makes them to be Big Man?

Those are called "venting" posts. We allow each poster 3 per week. :P

Billy Beane has proven the last 4 years that you don't need a big payroll to win... you need a god GM and a plan... I don't think the sox have either.

Yeah it shows the importance of young, cheap pitching. It wasn't financially viable to keep Colon around for $12 mill and I don't think it will be either for Maggs at $14 mill. KW will go afta pitchin, and that's where most of da payroll deserves to go into.

Umm, do the math, we are NOT cutting payroll.  The payroll is going up nearly 20% from about $51 mil to somewhere between $58 and $60 mil.  The payroll increase is nearly identical to the percentage increase in attendance...

Ummm....I did the math and even the high end of 51 to 60 is 14%.

That said, last yrs projected payroll was in the 56-58 mil range, if we end up at 51 mil then we missed our projections by 5-7 mil. Project that to this yr and we'll come in at 53-55 mil which at the high end is a 7% increase. Season tickets this yr have gone up 29%.

Good morning peeps!

What baseball needs (and the Sox especially) is both a minimum AND a maximum salary cap.

For example, MLB should decree that no team can have a payroll of over $100 million AND no team can have a payroll of less than $75 million. This would ensure competitive balance, and would force assbags like Reinsdorf, Pohlad, Selig, etc., to spend money.

The players union won't let this happen, so, in the meantime, we need Jerry to SELL THE SOX!!!

:fthecubs

Could the moderators please do something about all these factually challenged little punks who think that if they spout all the vulgarities and angry faces with middle fingers up that they want, that it makes them to be Big Man?

:finger :finger :finger :fyou :fyou :fyou :fyou :dips*** :dips*** :stupid