White Sox Finally Make a Signing

maggsmaggs

I hated the Paniagua signing, was against it from day 1, and caught crap about it here. But this isn't bad. They aren't going to find out if he can get people out in a pennant race. He'll have to earn a spot on the team with a good spring training. He will have to impress, or he will not make the team, really no risk for the White Sox.

I hated the Paniagua signing, was against it from day 1, and caught crap about it here. But this isn't bad. They aren't going to find out if he can get people out in a pennant race. He'll have to earn a spot on the team with a good spring training. He will have to impress, or he will not make the team, really no risk for the White Sox.

Got to agree with you on this one, and I'll give you some props for your bad mouthing of the Jose Paniagua signing, what a mistake that was.

I don't know why I even bother complaining, but I can't stand how some of you think that every move the Sox make is done as a blockbuster. the Jose Paniagua signing wasn't bad. did it work out? no, but he signed a dirt cheap contract and was an up-and-coming reliever just two years prior to us signing it. it was, like this, a safe signing. it may or may not work out, but please just because the Sox sign someone, don't make it seem as though they are making a big deal of it and don't make it seem as though they are the only team to sign guys like Paniagua and Santiago.

I can't really remember Santiago from last season, but he put up some decent numbers if that means anything. give him a chance.

Don't write this guy off, I remember seeing him pitch against the Sox and hearing the Tribe announcers mention how this was the first time in a long time Santiago had been healthy.

I remember he had a very good fastball (94-95), although his control was questionable, but he pitched very well against the Sox. I thought his other pitcher was a slider, but I could be wrong. Its a minor league signing of a guy that has pretty solid stuff. This seems like a good move to me. You can never have too much depth, imo.

I don't know why I even bother complaining, but I can't stand how some of you think that every move the Sox make is done as a blockbuster.  the Jose Paniagua signing wasn't bad.  did it work out? no, but he signed a dirt cheap contract and was an up-and-coming reliever just two years prior to us signing it.  it was, like this, a safe signing.  it may or may not work out, but please just because the Sox sign someone, don't make it seem as though they are making a big deal of it and don't make it seem as though they are the only team to sign guys like Paniagua and Santiago.

I can't really remember Santiago from last season, but he put up some decent numbers if that means anything.  give him a chance.

Agreed very much. :cheers

We signed this guy because there is a possibility he could be the 5th or 6th reliever in our bullpen, not because he's going to be our savior. We didn't sign him to be the messiah.

For those that can't read LA Times.

Right-hander Jose Santiago and the White Sox agreed to a minor league contract, but the pitcher then notified the team he was changing agents, leaving the status of the deal unclear.

Under the agreement between the team and the agent, Santiago would get a $550,000, one-year contract if he is added to the major league roster and the chance to earn $125,000 in bonuses: $25,000 each for 35, 45, 50, 55 and 60 games played.

I got a feeling Santiago will sign, that seems like a very fair deal and I'd have nothing against having him as the 6th or 7th guy in the pen as long as he is healthy. Him, Grilli, now Wunsch, some very solid back end pieces. My hope is that the Sox plan on them being back end pieces.