Interesting Rumor

Chisoxfn

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Maggs be considered a rental player for them?  I can see why Jose would, mainly because he's 35 or 36 and is getting worse as he gets older(like all players do), but I would think they would resign Maggs if at all possible.

Also, if it happened, and Burrell did come back to form, who says we don't trade him to the highest bidder with his price tag in 2006 or so.  Then agian, if he doesn't we sell him off for peanuts.

I like the deal, and do see why the Phils would make it, but I don't think they will make it.  However, I don't doubt that something like this could actually be in the works....it is the type high risk high reward deal that KW likes to make.

He is a one-year rental, because he doesn't have a guaranteed contract for next year. Despite Maggs talent and that the Phillys COULD resign him, the fact that he isn't signed after this year hurts his trade value. Furthermore, Maggs agent has said that Maggs wants to test the FA market, which makes it unlikely for him to resign before the offseason. The Philly's might have the money to make a run at Maggs(and resign him if they traded for him), but every team looking for a difference making outfielder with money to spend will be after Maggs(and Beltran), so by no means is Philly guaranteed to resign him(if they traded for him), which is the definition of a one-year rental.

This trade just doesn't make sense for the Philly's. When I look at the Philly's roster right now I see an extremely talented team that is probably the favorites to win their division, so why make a trade that adds payroll, but probably makes the team worse on paper? Valentin and Rollins could be seen as a draw(all things considered), so that means that Philly would be giving up a proven #2 starter, a talented outfielder coming off a sub par season, and one of the top young CF in the game for Maggs. Sure Maggs is an upgrade over Burrel, but now Philly is stuck with holes in CF and at the front of the rotation. Tell me how that makes them better? Furthermore, they are giving up 4 players under the age of 28(who are the future of their team) for 2 players that will be FA next year. The is no way that Philly even things about doing such a one-sided deal.

Chet Coppack was a sports anchor for WMAQ channel 5 way back in the late 70s early 80s.  He and the Gumble brothers did sports way back then.  He also had a radio sports talk show in the 80s, sort of like the the Score.  I think Dan McNeil  (WMVP/ESPN) used to work with him.  His famous line was to callers "your dime your dancefloor". I think his roots are Chicago - but he left in the late 80s to go to New York.  Haven't heard much of him since.

...for whatever it's worth.  Now I've aged myself.

Chet has a show on Sporting News Radio. He is back in Chicago. His show is on during the weekends. I listen to it , and don't recall him mentioning this rumor, although he might have. Dan McNeil used to work for him. In fact, everytime Coppock would be on vacation, McNeil would do the show, and imitate Chet.

I still take the "wait and see" approach to ANY trade involving the White Sox. It saves you undue stress and uncertainty, and keeps you calm and steady.

And for the record - it's spelled COPPOCK.

Can't you other fellow geezers get anything right? :bang

I'd do this trade in a heartbeat if da prospect ain't Cotts, Honel or Reed. Rollins will turn it around, I'm sure Ozzie will make him into a great player, he'll lead da league in steals one season, Byrd is a very solid young center fielder with a good future ahead of him, and Wolf is one of the most underrated lefties in da game. The Wolf Pack mite hav to mov to Chicago is this goes down. :lol: Burrell is da key to this deal though makin it really great for us, if he can turn it back around and hit .280-.300 with 30 homers, then we gotta make this deal.

if the deal sounds too good to be true..it probably is....this deal makes no sense to me if im in philly...i dont care how much pitching you have if you are looking to overtake the braves you dont trade pitchers...

they rae basically giving us randy wolf in this trade..a lefty starter..

I still take the "wait and see" approach to ANY trade involving the White Sox.  It saves you undue stress and uncertainty, and keeps you calm and steady.

And for the record - it's spelled COPPOCK.

Can't you other fellow geezers get anything right? :bang

you see, I'm too old to remember how to spell it. Out of sight - out of mind.

The only way I can see Philly considering this trade is if they are thinking along these lines. They screwed up by signing Burrel to such a heavily backloaded contract and since they have Millwood this year, still, they have just to decided to take a "go-for-it-all" approach for this year, taking there chances on the possiblitiy of signing Magglio to a long term deal.

But if you are the Sox, you take this deal even if the prospect is Cotts.

Off the top of my head:

I like Bird

I really like Burrel, huge upside.

Rollis is iffy but young and fairly talented

I saw Wolf shut down Cubs COLD, could be a solid 5th starter.

Valentin is making too much money and so is Magglio. Unless the prospect is Reed or Honel, let's do it!!!

Off the top of my head:

I like Bird

I really like Burrel, huge upside.

Rollis is iffy but young and fairly talented

I saw Wolf shut down Cubs COLD, could be a solid 5th starter.

Valentin is making too much money and so is Magglio. Unless the prospect is Reed or Honel, let's do it!!!

Yes, I agree. I'll tell you though, I'd really have to hesistate and think long and hard about giving up Reed. As much as I like this trade, that would be very very difficult to do.