Favorite Sox's of all time

southsidehitmen01

Im new to the message board so I don t know if this has come up before but anyway my top players of all time are

1. Robin Ventura-I have folloed him when he was with oklahoma state and i saw him play as a senior when i was 2 years old asd i grew up he brought me to the sox when he was drafted i've followed him and the sox all my life

2.Frank Thomas-He's always been the man

3.Joe Jackson- should not have been kicked out he batted 375 in the '19 series for christs sake

4. Magglio Ordonez- i watched him play through the minors in nashville all the way to where his is now he always signs autographs

5. Ozzie Guillen-hejust fun to watch hope hes the same managing :fthecubs

opinions,other lists?

Welcome to the site! :cheers

I'm going out on a limb w/ this one.....

Frank Thomas

I just kind of started to learn the team and playing baseball (T-Ball--age 4!) :headbang around the same time he was coming up with the team.

Others I like or liked were Lance Johnson, Robin Ventura, Ray Durham, and Mags.

My top 5:

( in chronological order )

Dick Allen

Terry Forster

Greg Luzinski

Ivan Calderon

Frank Thomas ( his first 7 years, he was "stop what you're doing and watch this man hit" TV - he still gets there quite often, but there was something downright scary about him back then )

other favorites include:

LaMarr Hoyt

Robin Ventura

Jorge Orta

Magglio Ordonez

Bobby Thigpen

Mike Sirotka

and I enjoyed Jurassic Carl Everett's 1/2 year here very much, too

Im a young guy, so my favorites are Wunsch and Garland, and I got to see Bains play in 2000, which was cool to see.

Don't be ashamed to be young tony:) Loved Robin, Baines, Thomas, Jackson, and the player I looked up to was Durham. (cause I'm short, speedy, and energetic too :D)

My favorite players come from the '93 team. I was 7 and they really brought me to love baseball and love the white sox. Ventura, Guillen, Black Jack McDowell, and of course Frank Thomas will always be my favorites. In the more recent teams, I really like Joe Crede and Mark Buehrle.

3.Joe Jackson- should not have been kicked out he batted 375 in the '19 series for christs sake

Here is link to Shoeless Joe's signed and sworn deposition. Read the part where he says they paid him $5,000 then tell me again how he should not have been kicked out.

He was not convicted because this and other sworn depositions mysteriously dissappeared and were never shown to the jury.

The Black Sox Trial 1921

BTW welcome to the boards!

Here is link to Shoeless Joe's signed and sworn deposition.  Read the part where he says they  paid him $5,000 then tell me again how he should not have been kicked out.

He was not convicted because this and other sworn depositions mysteriously dissappeared and were never shown to the jury.

The Black Sox Trial  1921

BTW welcome to the boards!

always appreciate a word of sanity of Shoeless Joe, thank you

favorite player, my lifetime: Frank and Carlton Fisk

My Favorite White Sox Player of All Time is Frank Thomas. From day one I have really enjoyed watching him play. I even named my dog Frank after him.

I have a few other big time favorites like Ventura, Foulke, Buehrle, Maggs, and CLee, but my favorite is and always has been the Big Hurt.

First of all Mr TLAK Joe Jakson batted .375 in the deadball era aginst the best team the N.L. had to offer. he hit the only homerun in the series and had 8 r.b.i. he owns the record for most hits in an 8 game series as well as most total bases he commmited no fielding errors. I realize he signed this confession but we will never know how itemidating it must have been for a person who couldn t read to sit in an office with leagel minds that were trying to make themselves look important by finding the best player of his era guilty of major crime. We still talk about pete rose and his scandel i just want joe to have the respect he rightfully deserves i will now step off my soap box if ur a sox fan you should stand up for this guy he was awesome just look at his career and add 5-10 more years he would have been in the hall before ruth in my opinion :bang :headbang

First of all Mr TLAK Joe Jakson batted .375 in the deadball era aginst the best team the N.L. had to offer. he hit the only homerun in the series and had 8 r.b.i. he owns the record for most hits in an 8 game series as well as most total bases he commmited no fielding errors. I realize he signed this confession but we will never know how itemidating it must have been for a person who couldn t read to sit in an office with leagel minds that were trying to make themselves look important by finding the best player of his era guilty of major crime. We still talk about pete rose and his scandel i just want joe to have the respect he rightfully deserves i will now step off my soap box if ur a sox fan you should stand up for this guy he was awesome just look at his career and add 5-10 more years he would have been in the hall before ruth in my opinion :bang  :headbang

joe admitted in an interview in one of the new yourk papers in the early 20's that he threw the series...he talked about the plan was since striking out on purpose would be too obvious they would have to do it on defense...said that he would purposely take bad angles on fly balls to just miss them and when he trew the ball into the infield it was off line so the runner could move up...

i dont know why that article isnt more popular ..i wish i bookmarked it at the time...it also talked about jackson's lawsuit against comiskey...in that lawsuit (1923 i believe) those confessions mysteriously found their way into court forcing jackson to drop his suit and eventually he was able to get comiskey to settle out of court

this impression that jackson was dumb is totally false imo...he was a very sucessful businessman after his playing days...just because he was never taught to read doesnt mean he was stupid..a lot of poor southerners back then didnt get formal education...evidence says jackson was guilty as sin..regaurdless of what "8 men out" says..

if one deserves reinstatement its buck weaver...but he is the only one...

my favorites

harold baines

carlton fisk

jorge orta

jose valentin

mark buehrle

I'll go by decade for this one.

Current team:

Crede: Basically the next Ventura IMO

MB: What can I say, hes a star and a fan fav and will be for years to come.

Maggs: see above

90's

Robin Ventura: I really miss this guy a lot. Watching him flash the leather in the top half of the inning at Comiskey then knock one out of the park in the bottom half was worth every penny of the price of admission.

Black Jack McDowell: He was awesome in his time here. For a few years there I would make it a point to get my tix the day he was scheduled to pitch.

Frank Thomas: I didnt write him for the current team because after 2000 he turned into a prick and a selfish asshole but in the 90's he was every young Sox fans hero.

80's

Ron Kittle: One roof shot after another what can I say.

Carlton Fisk: Laid his heart out on the diamond day after day and got f***ed by JR like everyone else did. Got his revenge on JR by going into the HOF as a BoSox.

Since I was born in 1978 I wont go back any farther cause I didnt see any of those guys play.

Jose f***in' Valentin:

Underrated defense

Underated baserunning

Solid offense

Solid bunting

Good RISP/clutch numbers

Positive clubhouse force

Future Sox manager

Killer 'stache in truly 'stacheless times!

:notworthy

:headbang :headbang :headbang

I also like Rowand and Thomas as well.

If we can include guys in the past who we'd like to have seen....I've heard nothing but great things of the Aparicio-Fox tandem up the middle. That would be something worth seeing.