LBJ Not an ALL Star

By Chris Sheridan

The Associated Press

February 3, 2004, 3:42 PM CST

LeBron James missed the cut Tuesday in voting for All-Star reserves, finishing behind Eastern Conference guards Paul Pierce, Michael Redd, Baron Davis and Jason Kidd.

"Being selected to the All-Star team, it wouldn't be nothing new to me," James said Tuesday before the 14 reserves were announced. "I've been on All-Star teams my whole life. That's just how I play the game of basketball."

"I'm just thankful for the team that I'm on," said Artest, who came to the Pacers midway through the 2001-02 season in a trade with the Bulls. "Without them, I probably wouldn't have made it. We're playing really good right now."

James is averaging 20.8 points, 5.9 assists and 5.9 rebounds for the Cleveland Cavaliers, whose surge of six victories in eight games has moved them into contention for a playoff spot in the East.

The 19-year-old rookie is 13th in the NBA in scoring and 12th in assists, averaging 24.1 points since Cleveland traded Ricky Davis to Boston in mid-December. James, Pierce, Allen and McGrady are the only players averaging at least 20 points, five rebounds and five assists.

Coaches had to choose a center, two forwards, two guards and two others regardless of position. They could not vote for their own players.

"I'd be very excited about it, but if it (doesn't) happen it's not the end of the world," James said after the Cavs' morning shootaround in Auburn Hills, Mich.

There will be six All-Stars with international roots -- Kirilenko (Russia), Stojakovic (Serbia and Montenegro), Magloire (Canada) Nowitzki (Germany), Yao (China) and Duncan (U.S. Virgin Islands) -- which ties the record set a year ago.

Cleveland coach Paul Silas said he had expected James to make the Eastern team.

"He's put up the kind of numbers that warrants that. We're beginning to win and that's also a major factor," Silas said.

Other players having strong seasons who did not make the All-Stars include Mike Bibby of Sacramento, Latrell Sprewell of Minnesota, Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton of Detroit, Michael Finley of Dallas and Zach Randolph of Portland.

Cavaliers general manager Jim Paxson wouldn't single out James as being overlooked. Second-year forward Carlos Boozer, among the league leaders in rebounds, and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas, an All-Star last season, were also bypassed.

"We're disappointed," Paxson said. "Our feeling was that LeBron, Carlos and Z all had a good shot at making it. It's disappointing that we're not going to have anyone there, but for the players who are going, all of them with the exception of Paul Pierce are on teams with winning records."

James will play in the Rookie Challenge on Friday night, alongside Carmelo Anthony of Denver, against a team of second-year players that includes Yao.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

James has the numbers to be an all star, but I'd of probably given Artest the nod over him. Too bad both were kept out.

I don't watch enough basketball to say whether Redd deserved it, but I know when he has played the Bulls he's been fantastic.

Since he shined with the Buckeyes, I always thought Redd would turn into a good player.

This is an absolutely stupid decision for the NBA.  I for one would have watched the game just to James playing but now theres not a chance I check that out.  Can someone tell me how the hell Jamaal Magloire is an All Star?  Awful :angry:

They hav to hav 1 backup center. It was either him or Zydranus "I can't play D" Ilgauskas.

James has the numbers to be an all star, but I'd of probably given Artest the nod over him.  Too bad both were kept out. 

I don't watch enough basketball to say whether Redd deserved it, but I know when he has played the Bulls he's been fantastic.

Since he shined with the Buckeyes, I always thought Redd would turn into a good player.

Actually, Ron Artest did make it. I'm just pissed that Zach Randolph was kept out. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/zach_randolp...x.html?nav=page Tell me these numbers aren't worth All-Star status. 21.5 points and 11 boards a game is not too bad. :angry:

Actually, Ron Artest did make it.  I'm just pissed that Zach Randolph was kept out.    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/zach_randolp...x.html?nav=page      Tell me these numbers aren't worth All-Star status.    21.5 points and 11 boards a game is not too bad.    :angry:

He's definitely worthy....It's just that the West is so stacked. He has to be first on the waiting list.

Unless things change...Lebron won't be in the slam dunk contest....

Richardson to Defend Title in Slam Dunk Competition

LOS ANGELES (Feb. 10) -- Many consider Jason Richardson to be the best dunker since Michael Jordan. At All-Star Weekend, Richardson will try to become the first three-time Slam Dunk champion.

The high-flying guard of the Golden State Warriors headlines a field of four that will participate in the event on Saturday night at the Staples Center.

Ricky Davis of the Boston Celtics and first-timers Chris Andersen of the Denver Nuggets and Fred Jones of the Indiana Pacers will try to wrest the title away from Richardson.

Since the slam dunk contest's inception in 1984, no player has ever won the competition three times.

Richardson became just the second player to repeat as champion last year, joining the legendary Jordan. He defended his title with a series of dunks that began with high ball tosses into the air. None was more spectacular than his final attempt, which displayed balance and defied gravity.

From the right baseline, Richardson tossed the ball in the air and caught the bounce while going into his leap. With his back to the rim, he put the ball through his legs with his right hand and dunked over his head with his left hand.

The judges -- all former Slam Dunk champions -- gave him a perfect score of 50, enough to inch him past Desmond Mason, 96-93.

The win affirmed Richardson's status as the game's best open-court dunker. He also scored a record-tying 31 points in leading the Sophomores to victory in the Rookie Challenge.

As a rookie in 2001-02, Richardson won the MVP of the Rookie Challenge and the Slam Dunk title, defeating Sacramento's Gerald Wallace.