Kris Honel

DBAHO

From ESPN,

N.W. writes: I'm wondering what are your thoughts on White Sox prospect Kris Honel? He seems to fly under the radar, but he's put up pretty good numbers at every stop and seems to have good stuff. He throws a low 90s fastball along with a knuckle-curve, and at 6-foot-5 and 190 pounds he might add something to his fastball. Is the only reason he doesn't get much attention is because he played high school ball in a cold-weather area?

I like Honel, have mentioned him before, and will do a full profile on him later this spring. He's proven himself in Class A, and should get a full shot in Double-A this year. In 360 career innings, he has a 2.95 ERA and a 348/115 K/BB ratio.

You're right about his stuff: low 90s fastball, very good breaking ball. He also has a changeup. His velocity may increase as you mention, but even if it stays in the 90-92 range, it should be good enough in the big leagues given his excellent control and the bite on his breaking ball.

As for the cold-weather thing, it is possible that has reduced his profile somewhat, but I wouldn't make too much of that. He was a first-round pick in '01, out of high school in Illinois, and more teams than just the White Sox were interested in him. Personally, I believe that being from a cold-weather state is actually an advantage for high school pitchers. They may have less field experience than their warm-weather counterparts, yes, but they often have less mileage on their arms as well. Properly handled, an efficient cold-weather pitcher like Honel may have a better chance to stay healthy in the long run.

He's Mike Mussina with a little less zip on his fastball, and according to the article, he may even increase the speed to get to his level. Wow. Even if his speed stays the same, it really won't matter. If he maintains control, a 90 fastball followed by a knuckle curve. That will buckle the best of them.

I think at his max, Honel may get up to 94 MPH, but I'm guessing he'll live around 90-93 and there is nothing wrong with that, especially with his knuckle curve. My god is it devastating.

One of the filthiest pitches I've ever seen. WHen I get the video clips I took of him pitching last year back up on futuresox I'll post them here again for those that didn't catch them. But the grip and the way he pitches it, is filthy.

If he can control that fastball (it has solid movement) and mix in a changeup and maybe an ocassional cutter, then I think he's set, assuming he continues to develop, is mature and can handle himself.

Velocity isn't necessary, especially when you got that curve.

I really like that he has pitched 360 career innings in the minors. The old rule used to be that you SHOULD pitch around 600 innings in the minors before you get called up. Now days, it seems like 200 is too much in a day and age when you rush pitchers to the majors. So, I think one more year in the minors and he may be ready to step into the rotation and hit the ground running.

I really like that he has pitched 360 career innings in the minors. The old rule used to be that you SHOULD pitch around 600 innings in the minors before you get called up. Now days, it seems like 200 is too much in a day and age when you rush pitchers to the majors. So, I think one more year in the minors and he may be ready to step into the rotation and hit the ground running.

I agree, one more solid year down there, and he should be ready for at least the fifth spot next year. If the organiztion feels he's ready of course. If they feel it's too early because of something they know, then another year by all means, but I expect we will see him next year. :headbang

Mulder is another cold weather pitcher(would love to have him come home), so is Washburn(Green Bay).  Mussina is a great comp and he's a cold waether guy too(Pittsburgh).

I knew Mussina went to Stanford, but I thought he was from California.

Mulder has said he is a sox fan growing up so Im pretty sure he would love to play for us. Kenny, there is one guy who wants to play here.

i remember hearing mulder on a talk show when the A's were in town last year, and he was talking about what a hassle it is every time he plays in chicago cuz of getting tickets for family and friends and whatnot. didn't sound so sure he'd wanna play here all the time. hope he changes his mind...isn't this a contract year for him or something?

i remember hearing mulder on a talk show when the A's were in town last year, and he was talking about what a hassle it is every time he plays in chicago cuz of getting tickets for family and friends and whatnot. didn't sound so sure he'd wanna play here all the time. hope he changes his mind...isn't this a contract year for him or something?

Welcome Aboard :cheers :usa :cheers

The only chance of Mulder signin is if Maggs and Frank don't return next year along with Koch so we'll hav enough room to sign him and sum otha's. A rotation of Buerhle, Mulder, Loaiza and Garland with Honel, Cotts or Wing next year would look very, very nice.