See Ya in Hell, Martha!

Wong & Owens

Our constutution does not require anyone to speak with the police. You do have the right to remain silenced. If you give up that right you have to be truthful. Reading the transcripts I do not believe she was truthful.

If she wasn't MS, and if Enron and all the other bs hadn't happened, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

One of the juriors even said they were trying to send a message.

I'm not so sure they were bs - and I am no fan of Martha Stewart - I thought the things she was accused of, and convicted of, did not rise to the level of criminal conduct -

As far as I know, it's not the insider trading that is the major charge, but the obstruction of justice. Whether they are severe or not is another story.

As far as I know, it's not the insider trading that is the major charge, but the obstruction of justice. Whether they are severe or not is another story.

you may well be right as I have not followed it that closely - I had heard the insider charges were dismissed or at least some of them - but what you say makes perfect sense

cw,

Bottom line you cannot lie to the police. They get a little testy about that. If she had just kept quiet sge would not have had this problem. From what I read and heard it seemed obvious she lied about the phone call from imclones founder Sam Waxal (sp?) and the calls to her broker. Further she is not an inexperienced trader getting a tip from a friend. She was a very good stock broker in her earlier career.

Still, being Martha did not help her with this jury.

In a bit of irony. For comparison Mark Fuhrman framed a guilty man. Martha was convicted for lying about a crime she wasn't convicted for.

Legal experts' early prediction for "jail time" is 8 to 16 MONTHS ( yes, months, not years ) in a minimum-security Club Fed. Plus a fine, which she can certainly afford without much hardship.

If that's all she is sentenced to, that is hardly a deterrent to anyone.

I truly don't think there is a chance in hell that she is going to spend much less a day in jail.

I also must say, that if anyone one of us had stock and our broker called us and said it was going to take a s***...we'd immediately sell.

What she did wrong was lie and go all about covering up.

This has already cost here about 800 million dollars. Here shares in her company alone were valued at around 1.2 billion before all these precedings. Now the same shares are worth about 200 million.

Not saying thats a lot of money, but that is a hell of a lot to lose. Plus I think her stocks frozen right now. So it may continue to crash because if I understand insider trading charges correctly, it basically means she can't sit on her own board and a lot of the time I think it means you can't own stock anymore (Could be wrong on that, but thats what I remember). Although those more severe charges could of been for the insider trading charge that was dropped and that this is a more minor one.

Am I wrong, I heard on the news that the amount of shares she sold (Imclone) were valued at like 60,000-80,000. If so, I think we all have to look and see how small potatoes this is.

Hell, 60-80k isn't even a lot to sell for a middle class person, if they are in the market, let alone for someone who has a few hundred million invested.

Well said Jas. My dad, who trades stocks for a living, said she saved about 200k. Either way that's nothing for her. As I said, the insider trading isn't going to give her the jail time, it's the obstruction of justice. Don't expect her to get years. What she did was wrong, but not extremely bad.

Well said Jas. My dad, who trades stocks for a living, said she saved about 200k. Either way that's nothing for her. As I said, the insider trading isn't going to give her the jail time, it's the obstruction of justice. Don't expect her to get years. What she did was wrong, but not extremely bad.

yep i dont think marth will be spendin a whole lot of time behind bars.

Well said Jas. My dad, who trades stocks for a living, said she saved about 200k.

here's what i don't get. why would she then risk it if she was only gonna lose what is to her chump change?

i dont think she should get much jail time because, if i heard right, they don't go after too many people for this offense unless it an outragous amount of money being saved which this really isn't and the ones that do get jail time arent in for very long. she should not be made an example due to her celebrity status (although i do like the idea of martha in a jail cell :) ).