Could Mark Prior possibly need TJS:

CSF

This was from the New Jersey Star Ledger today:

Baseball: Et cetera with Lawrence Rocca

Sunday, April 11, 2004

MARK PRIOR'S right elbow injury could be serious enough to require Tommy John surgery and keep him out for the whole year, according to the word circulating among baseball executives. Cubs manager DUSTY BAKER , who has a tendency to leave his starters in for extremely high pitch counts, has been confiding in friends that the situation is bleak. Losing Prior for an extended time would obviously be a big blow for the Cubs, who don't have a lot of wiggle room in their payroll budget to trade for another starter.

This is shaping up to be 1984 for them all over again. :rolleyes:

Next Cub for DL.... Zambrano...watch. He's lucky Wood had TJ so it's a less chance he gets injured but I think he still would. Probably rotator cuff surgery if he keeps this up. :fthecubs

It's either Zambrano or Wood again. I actually think Wood will make it back to the surgery table again first. He throws so many more hard breaking balls compared to Zambrano. Although fist pumping could wear out a shoulder too... :fthecubs

Also, how does baseball buzz end up in New Jersey of all places?

Although fist pumping could wear out a shoulder too...  :fthecubs

I remember last year during the Sox/Cubs series when CZ struck out Carlos and went into a fist pumping spasm. I so wanted someone to plunk that f***er. I think he actually came to bat in that next half inning, and Bartolo was pitching. Oh how I wished they plunked him.....

Is there anyone else here that thinks Jim Hendry got totally hosed on his deal for Juan Cruz? I think he could have gotten something better than Andy Pratt for Cruz - Cruz's stuff is amazing, if he can eventually put it all together, he's going to be awesome.

Is there anyone else here that thinks Jim Hendry got totally hosed on his deal for Juan Cruz?  I think he could have gotten something better than Andy Pratt for Cruz - Cruz's stuff is amazing, if he can eventually put it all together, he's going to be awesome.

agreed. I think the Cubs fot a nice dose of his stuff a few days ago.

Latest news from Chicago papers has him pushing it back til mid-May at the earliest for his return. Sullivan of the Cubune says it may stretch into early June.

It's not hard to see that the Cubs are laying this on the fans one layer at a time. Who knows how deep this rabbit hole goes?

Latest news from Chicago papers has him pushing it back til mid-May at the earliest for his return.  Sullivan of the Cubune says it may stretch into early June.

It's not hard to see that the Cubs are laying this on the fans one layer at a time.  Who knows how deep this rabbit hole goes?

Yeah the Trib said it is going to take a 6 week regiment to get him ready, regardless of when he starts throwing seriously again. That would already make June 1st the earliest he could get back.

Chip Caray reported that in regards to the rumor, that he spoke to Jim Hendry and was told the rumor was absolutely false, and that in Chip's words, that his tendon was strong as a tree-trunk. Which means...........

In the next 6 weeks, we'll see a Cubbie press conference announcing that Prior will be out the next 18 months with Tommy John surgery. If they were so confident about Prior, then they wouldn't have taken the time to address a "silly little rumor".

If he tore it that would be bad news.  It definately be Baker related cause Prior's mechanics are smooth.

Don't get me wrong, because I think this is Dusty's fault, BUT it could just be genetics. The guy could have small or weak tendons in his elbow. The repititions of being a pitcher is murder on your joints.

Chip Caray reported that in regards to the rumor, that he spoke to Jim Hendry and was told the rumor was absolutely false, and that in Chip's words, that his tendon was strong as a tree-trunk.

The problem with what Hendrie says is the Cubs have been giving misleading info about this situation the whole time. They initially said he'd be throwing again in a week, that was about 5 weeks ago.

I heard a clip of Hendrie on ESPN radio this morning and now he's saying they're not putting a time-line on his return. This is a new stance from him and the organization which was really pushing the mid-may window.

If he tore it that would be bad news.  It definately be Baker related cause Prior's mechanics are smooth.

Agreed. Comming out of the draft Prior had the most sound mechanics ever seen. He was trained well with coaches who helped him really develop. Dusty definitely had something to do with this essencially with pitch count (highest in the league.)