There was a shooting at the Cubby Bear:

I can care less what fan is what. What I want to know is why did that paper SPECIFICALLY say that the victim was a SOX FAN. That has no relevance whatsoever!!!!!! someone was killed....whether the suspects or the victims are fans of a certain team shouldn't matter....so WHY was it pointed out then? Someone explain it to me.......

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can care less what fan is what.  What I want to know is why did that paper SPECIFICALLY say that the victim was a SOX FAN.  That has no relevance whatsoever!!!!!!  someone was killed....whether the suspects or the victims are fans of a certain team shouldn't matter....so WHY was it pointed out then?  Someone explain it to me.......

In my opinion, they want you to believe that the Sox/Cubs rivalry and hostility was the root of the altercation. It makes for a better story. Everyone knows, how much we "hate" each other and "it finally came down to this." That little teaser in the headline or the first few sentences gets the reader piqued. Sad, but true.

Update from the Trib-online

The two men being held this afternoon in connection with the fatal shooting of a baseball fan Thursday evening outside Wrigley Field have arrest records for weapons offenses and other incidents, police reports and court documents show.

The man who allegedly shot to death Frank Hernandez, 26, during an apparent road-rage incident pleaded guilty in 1998 to unlawfully possessing a firearm, court records showed. Police reports indicate the suspect is an admitted gang member.

The driver of the sport-utility vehicle that allegedly nearly struck Hernandez, triggering the confrontation, was arrested for illegal possession of a firearm and domestic battery in two separate incidents last year, but the charges in those cases were dropped, police records show.

Charges have not yet been filed in connection with Thursday's incident, and the two men remained in police custody this afternoon as the city mourned Hernandez's death.

The victim's father, also named Frank Hernandez, said he went to Illinois Masonic Medical Center late Thursday to identify his son's body.

"It was like he was just lying there sleeping, with a smile on his face. That's the way he always was. Happy," the father said in an interview today at the family's home on the 5600 block of West 64th Street, Chicago.

The man spoke of the irony of losing his son to street violence after having moved his family five years ago from the area surrounding 48th Street and Damen Avenue. There, family members would hear gunshots every night, and the father said he feared for their safety.

"And then he dies from a gunshot," the elder Hernandez said, his head slumping down. "I just can't believe it. He was going up to Wrigleyville. You wouldn't think anything would happen up there."

That disbelief was echoed by Ald. Thomas M. Tunney (44th), who called a news conference in his Lakeview office this afternoon to express sympathy for the Hernandez family and reassure visitors to his neighborhood.

"I do want to emphasize this was an isolated incident," Tunney said. "Families, residents and visitors to the park should feel very safe in continuing to patronize this (Cubs) season, which is sold out."

Tunney said he believed the police presence around Wrigley was "adequate," "as evidenced by the rapid response by police" to the shooting.

The alderman said the violence apparently arose out of "a road rage incident that could have happened anywhere. Unfortunately, it happened in my community."

"This is not tied into Wrigley Field," he said. "This is a societal problem that happens all over the country and in our city. The fact there are handguns out there in cars is unconscionable."

The elder Hernandez said his son, a documents administrator at OWP&P Architects Inc. in downtown Chicago, always was willing to help his friends. He used his computer skills to help them put together resumes and get jobs. If someone was having a hard time, he would round people up and take them to baseball games.

"He was beautiful. Always ready to help anyone. If I needed anything, he was always there. He was like that with everyone," the father said.

The younger Hernandez was crossing Clark Street around 6:10 p.m. Thursday when he exchanged words with a driver who was turning left from Addison Street, police said.

The driver jumped out of his SUV after the pedestrian hit the vehicle's hood with a small souvenir bat, police said. The two exchanged blows, and a passenger in the vehicle got out and opened fire on Hernandez.

The driver was taken into custody at the scene, and the passenger was apprehended after a short chase, according to police and witnesses.

Court documents showed that the year before his 1998 weapons conviction, the alleged gunman was charged with disorderly conduct in a gang-related incident.

Officers responding to a report of shots being fired in the 1300 block of North Greenview Avenue saw the man yelling, flashing gang signs and holding his waistband as if he had a weapon, court records show. Officers arrested the man. They did not recover a weapon, and the disorderly conduct case was dropped.

The SUV's driver, who works as a tuckpointer at a job site near Wrigley Field, was charged last November with illegally possessing a firearm, and last June for domestic battery after he allegedly threw his girlfriend down during an argument in their home, but the charges in both cases were dropped, according to police reports.

The facts are.......the Chicago Media tried to HIDE this story on Friday by downplaying it. THe national media as well as Other local papers (herald & southtown) frontpaged this. The crowd violence has gotten out of hand for yrs at wrigley, but the MEDIA loves the cubs so much, they wont talk about it, preferring to tel you about william ligue instead. They almost got away with it, and were LAMBASTED on some radio shows, while other cubfans masquerading as "radio hosts" (mike murphy, brian hanley) said this was "hysteria" and that this doesnt happen all the time. Fact is, if this happened on 35th, this wouldve been a "sox security" problem. its a bunch of BS and the media is now exposed. the suntimes irresponsibly reporthing this initially that hernandez was a sox fan in the opening paragraph was TERRIBLE. They too tried to blame sox fans for cub drunkenness.

The facts are.......the Chicago Media tried to HIDE this story on Friday by downplaying it.    THe national media as well as Other local papers (herald & southtown)  frontpaged this.  The crowd violence has gotten out of hand for yrs at wrigley,  but the MEDIA loves the cubs so much,  they wont talk about it, preferring to tel you about william ligue instead.    They almost got away with it,  and were LAMBASTED on some radio shows,  while other cubfans masquerading as "radio hosts" (mike murphy, brian hanley)  said this was "hysteria"  and that this doesnt happen all the time.  Fact is,  if this happened on 35th,  this wouldve been a "sox security" problem.          its a bunch of BS and the media  is now exposed.    the suntimes irresponsibly reporthing this initially that hernandez was a sox fan in the opening paragraph was TERRIBLE.    They too tried to blame sox fans for cub drunkenness.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

There are a lot of people of influence interested in Cubs hegemony.

Cubs = popularity = big money = bigger story for the media

Complaning will get you nowhere.

This is what happens when the one Wrigleyville homo runs into his old boyfriend from Boystown outside Wrigley.

I am suprised this hasn't happened more often.

Too funny!

Hey, if you are in Iraq, (I'm assuming military?), G-dspeed! Fight the good fight, and come home healthy.

Bless you!

The facts are.......the Chicago Media tried to HIDE this story on Friday by downplaying it.    THe national media as well as Other local papers (herald & southtown)  frontpaged this.  The crowd violence has gotten out of hand for yrs at wrigley,  but the MEDIA loves the cubs so much,  they wont talk about it, preferring to tel you about william ligue instead.    They almost got away with it,  and were LAMBASTED on some radio shows,  while other cubfans masquerading as "radio hosts" (mike murphy, brian hanley)  said this was "hysteria"  and that this doesnt happen all the time.  Fact is,  if this happened on 35th,  this wouldve been a "sox security" problem.          its a bunch of BS and the media  is now exposed.    the suntimes irresponsibly reporthing this initially that hernandez was a sox fan in the opening paragraph was TERRIBLE.    They too tried to blame sox fans for cub drunkenness.

Wow, the crusader himself has posted at Soxtalk. :D

I may not enjoy WSI, but I do find all your "Media Watches" and "Random Thoughts" rather interesting. Whenever I was at school (WSI blocked my account) I would read through the threads and usually come upon your daily count of respected Cubs,Sox stories. When the members over there weren't abusing the "This thread sucks" or "Who Cares?" pictures, it became a rather enjoyable topic. But now, with members in the media admitting their exists a bias, everyone all of the sudden takes what you have reported as the truth.

Far as this incident, most Sox fans living within Chicago fully understand how the Cubs are perceived in this town. Newspapers (ideally tribune) undoubtably feel its within their best interests to highlight every positive event, while ignoring all negative press. Of course ANY business would feel this is necessary, but when you own a newspaper, whose job it is to report news, you should push aside all bias and give a story the attention it warrants.

I have a new nickname for the Urinal/Shrine/Chewing Gum Park to use on the more annoying mindless Cub trolls:

( I can't believe it took me so long to think of this )

The Deadly Confines

Feel free to use this, as well as my favorite new thing to say to the trolls:

"I ain't taking my family to that place - it's in a DANGEROUS NEIGHBORHOOD! I'm going to US Cellular Field, where I can feel SAFE!!!"