Who is the best baseball announcer???

WSoxShuf

Has to be Vin Scully. It reminds of a more simple time listening to baseball on the radio with my Grandpa and Uncle when vacationing in Door County, WI with just the sounds of the waves lapping up from the Lake and the crackling of the radio broadcast.

TV & Radio:

Hawk

Thom Brennaman

Ernie Harwell

Gary Thorne

DeWayne Staats (always hated the Cubs, but thought he and Stone were a good duo in the '80s. He did PBP from the 4th-7th when Caray switched to radio, then he and Caray switched back for the end of the game)

Don Drysdale

Tom Paciorek (Hawk and Wimpy, one of the best duos)

Al Michaels (Football and baseball ONLY!)

Bob Costas (better in-studio host, but not bad calling baseball games)

Joe and Jack Buck

Harry Caray (can't deny the enthusiam he brought)

Rooney

Hagin

Farmer

Best:

Gary Thorne (Ex Sox and now mets, Great at hockey)

You are kidding about Thorne being great at hockey right? He is a complete tool. He constantly mis-pronounces names, even though the pronuciation is listed on the papers in front of him, he screams when there isn't a reason to, he misses obvious things that happen during the game. And most of all he is biased when he calls a game.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Yeah those hockey names are so easy to pronounce.

When the pronunciation is spelled out for you on the game notes they give you it is. He also has access to the players and could stoop down and ask them how they pronounce their name too. He is just a tool.

How hard is it to say Thibault? Yes it looks weird, but the game notes say:

41 - Jocelyn Thibault(TEE-bow), Goal, 5' 10" ...

Yet the screamer always calls him Tih-BOW. Completely wrong.

:stick

Once again...back to your regularly scheduled baseball announcer thread.

They really aren't that bad once you get used to the Slavic names.  They pretty much all follow the same patterns, just like it is with any language.

And yet NOBODY can pronounce Slavic names correctly/fluently on consistent basis, be it hockey announcers, fans, etc.

Reminds me about the stories of how Europeans were butchering Mario Lemieuaiuex in the 80's.

agreed, baseball is really the only sport you can listen to on the radio and know what the hell is going on........

Pat Foley does a hell of a job painting a mental picture of a hockey game, which IMO is the most dificult game to PBP on radio because of the amount of turnovers and line changes.

Buck, Brennaman, Rooney and Thorne are my personal faves right now.

Whoever the Braves announcers are....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Well who else?? Chip's Daddy Skip. Joe Simpson (Former Royal), Don Sutton and Pete Van Warren.

And as for Thorne, i think he's good, i think he has a good voice.

I was saying Buck cause of his voice and how the broadcast sounds not for anything else. I forgot Uecker...

Juaaaaaaaaaasssssssssstttt a bit outside!! :lolhitting

And if you wanna talk about Basketball broadcasters, Marv ALberts Rulez!

Oh Hell yeah, Bob Uecker!  :headbang

Try listining to Joe Buck do a game for the Cardinals.  I'm talking a Cards network broadcast, not a national game.  He's excellent.

even the nationally televised games he does he seems to really know what he is talking about. he is not out there making an ass of himself

Chimp Caray is by far one of the worst I've ever heard. His grandfather was and father is a fine broadcaster, so I guess the "talent gene" wasn't passed down through one of his dad's little fishies about 35 years ago.

Also, Tim McCarver sucks. He's truly the king of the obvious.

A few McCarverisms:

"Well, when you have two strikes, you want to make contact."

"When you are leading by one run, you can't allow the other team to score."

"If you want a 1-2-3 inning, you can't walk anyone."

To everything he says, all you ever need to say in reply is "No s***, Sherlock." What a bozo.